The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can't find an AI or SC with 5.1 optical out that will run on win 10 via usb3
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Can't find an AI or SC with 5.1 optical out that will run on win 10 via usb3

Firstly thank you for looking and taking the time to read!
*pc specs at the bottom*

Can anyone recommend an audio interface/external or pcie sound card that will run on win10 via usb3 not only usb2 and has a 5.1 optical output aswell as the usuals like 3.5/jack/rca etc.

I need an rca out for monitor speakers and headphone jack/3.5mm. Both indepently controllable level wise.
But if getting something new i'd like the optical 5.1 out so I can use my a50 gen2 headphones.

Everything I find either has win10 issues or won't run/has issues (pops/clicks/hiss) using usb3.

Been looking at the creative omni, creative SB X-Fi surround 5.1 pro sound blaster usb but both seem to be a bit iffy especially when plugged i to usb3 ports.
I could even live with a 2.1 behringer uca-202 (newer release with optical) or 222
There is also a StarTech.com 7.1 USB Audio Adapter External Sound Card with SPDIF Optical Digital Audio but can't find any info about usb3 performance. Win10 just needs site drivers not the cd included older drivers.

This all has become a need because of the following...
My focusrite saffire 6 is old and usb1 and causing bsod with dpc watchdog violation error code.
Had an issue with bsod when going to a new intel board few years ago but looking on the net saw a post about intel mobo boards usb bavk compat being **** so used a usb2 hub that did the usb1 to usb2 differential so to speak and worked great.

Now with this recent cpu/mobo upgrade the board only has usb2 on the 2 front header ports and then usb3 gen1 and gen2s on the rears.
I'm guessing either the header ports are underpowered or causing compatability issues.

With the interface unplugged it all runs fine.
The psu I am using is an ocz 850w gold 80+ modular but it is fairly old so going to try the new corsair 650w 80+ I ordered which was suppose to replace this in the now old machine.

If i can get it to work cool and i'd use an analog to digital converter from the headphone port.

If still fails i know its the interface for sure.
Just a major pisstake all this upgrading malarkey and then see audio interfaces being a pile of dog crap for win10 or usb3.

Cheers folks. Got to love pc headaches.

At this rate I may end up spliting mobo headphone audio and use an analoge to digital converter lol

Thank you again so much if anyone can help!

Old pc spec - the saffire worked with the use of non powered usb2 hub.
I7 3700
b75ia-e33 mobo
OCZ-ZX850W-UN

New pc
I7 9700k oc'd to 5ghz
ASUS PRIME Z390-P mobo
OCZ-ZX850W-UN

New pc runs fine even gaming with all.on max without the interface plugged in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search