The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beginner Advice - iPad Pro Music Generation
Old 7th May 2020
Here for the gear

Beginner Advice - iPad Pro Music Generation

Hello All
I previously had a Mac/ Logic setup which due to its complexity put me off making music for a while.
Now I have an iPad Pro and am trying to understand how this could possibly be made to work with a controller keyboard/ sequencer app/ synth apps to make some tunes.
Can anyone direct me to any publications and/ or videos that explain how to set something like this up and what everything actually does?
Thank you for any help.
Old 7th May 2020
Gear Head

Depends on what kind of music you make. Audio important? Recording vocals? Guitar? Live drums?
Or making EDM tracks?
Basically there is 2 ways:
Get a sequencer similar to Logic, like Garageband or Cubasis 2. Then use included synths etc or load third party apps as AUV3 just like on Logic.
Downside: not as complex as Logic. Upside: inspiring as you have a tablet in hand and you have immediate access. Helps me with creativity.
Also if you use Garageband then you can easily finish everything better in Logic. Ios could be the missing key you missed on the Mac.

Second option: use AUM or Audiobus to connect apps and route midi and audio and record things like that. Lots of video about them on Youtube.
I don’t go down that road. I like a traditional looking DAW. I record audio a lot. Hope this helps.
Old 8th May 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Rusty
Thank you for your reply. It will all be electronic music. I will have a look on youtube at the two options you mentioned.
One query, for the AUM option, I have seen demos online, and all the sequencing seems to be done (in the videos I saw) in real time, i.e I never saw a typical horizontal bar layout (like Logic) showing the sequencing for all tracks. How is sequencing done with AUM?
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Head

As i said i have yet To use AUM or AUDIOBUS, but as far as i know these two apps connect a sequencer (separate app) with synths(separate apps) with effects (separate apps) and mixes them down and export them. Hopefully someone chimes in about these apps but again: millions of youtube videos.
I personally can not live with this type of music making. I need a proper mixer, I need a linear DAW. Mac’s are still far more powerful, but ios is catching up, apps are much cheaper and more fun to interact with. = more creativity! Happy learning and music making!
Old 8th May 2020
Here for the gear

Yes having done some research I agree that a linear DAW looks like a more productive way to go, for me anyway.
Last query (for now!), I need to buy a midi controller keyboard. Is it worth buying a keyboard with assignable pads/ buttons/ sliders etc (like say the Arturia Keylab 88) which I assume improve ease of in-App control or will a simpler keyboard with minimal controls/ buttons suffice?
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykirk View Post
Yes having done some research I agree that a linear DAW looks like a more productive way to go, for me anyway.
Last query (for now!), I need to buy a midi controller keyboard. Is it worth buying a keyboard with assignable pads/ buttons/ sliders etc (like say the Arturia Keylab 88) which I assume improve ease of in-App control or will a simpler keyboard with minimal controls/ buttons suffice?
I can answer this soon because i ordered an Arturia Minilab MK2 which will arrive next week.
I will get back to you with my experience.
📝 Reply