The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dante output to iPad Pro now possible?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Dante output to iPad Pro now possible?

I need an lightning adaptor with a camera USB 3 input to accept digital audio from a Zoom U-44. The device I’m using is an iPad Pro. The adapter has to have a second lightning port to charge the iPad at the same time because I’m doing a 7 hour live-stream telethon fundraiser. While looking for this, I found an adapter that also has an RJ-45 ethernet female connection. This got me thinking; could I possibly connect my Dante card in the back of my Yamaha mixing console to this ethernet port? If it’s now possible to record directly into an iPad Pro like this, I’m in hog’s Heaven! A brief search doesn’t show much about the topic. As of July 2019, it appears Apple has opened the doors to this possibility.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Nope, that won't work as you intend.
Normal PCs or Macs with standard Ethernet port (or appropriate external adapters) can connect to Dante network directly, but it's necessary to have special software from Audinate there. It's called either Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) or Dante Via (although it's for bit different use case), those make software endpoint for Dante network. No such application is available for iOS or iPads.

Only option for connection from iOS devices is Dante AVIO USB.
https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio (scroll down to USB model)
Which is essentially bus powered USB class-compliant stereo audio interface. So from iOS side it behaves like any standard audio interface supported directly by the system. From Dante network side, it behaves like 2x2 endpont and you can route two channels from and to this interface using Dante Controller (eg. you need also some computer with the software on the same network).

However for your use case, I'd likely grab any USB audio interface supported in iOS with analog inputs (haven't used mentioned Zoom, but looks like that kind of interface). Connect any analog out from the board and be done with that. It's IMO simpler to set, without any additional settings, routing and for sake of some live streaming it's absolutely adequate IMO. And even in case of AVIO, you'd still need hub for simultaneous powering of iPad via USB-C PD port.

Michal
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Nope, that won't work as you intend.
Normal PCs or Macs with standard Ethernet port (or appropriate external adapters) can connect to Dante network directly, but it's necessary to have special software from Audinate there. It's called either Dante Virtual Soundcard (DVS) or Dante Via (although it's for bit different use case), those make software endpoint for Dante network. No such application is available for iOS or iPads.

Only option for connection from iOS devices is Dante AVIO USB.
https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio (scroll down to USB model)
Which is essentially bus powered USB class-compliant stereo audio interface. So from iOS side it behaves like any standard audio interface supported directly by the system. From Dante network side, it behaves like 2x2 endpont and you can route two channels from and to this interface using Dante Controller (eg. you need also some computer with the software on the same network).

However for your use case, I'd likely grab any USB audio interface supported in iOS with analog inputs (haven't used mentioned Zoom, but looks like that kind of interface). Connect any analog out from the board and be done with that. It's IMO simpler to set, without any additional settings, routing and for sake of some live streaming it's absolutely adequate IMO. And even in case of AVIO, you'd still need hub for simultaneous powering of iPad via USB-C PD port.

Michal
Thanks for answering an abecedarian question so thoughtfully; much appreciated in the often acerbic air of the Internet. I’ll stick with your recommendations.

While I have your attention, would it be overkill to use mastering level equipment for live-streaming? I’m looking at my MBP and asking myself if it would be with using between my mixer and the zoom.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neve1064 View Post
Thanks for answering an abecedarian question so thoughtfully; much appreciated in the often acerbic air of the Internet. I’ll stick with your recommendations.

While I have your attention, would it be overkill to use mastering level equipment for live-streaming? I’m looking at my MBP and asking myself if it would be with using between my mixer and the zoom.
You welcome.

You mean MBP as Rupert Neve mastering not MacBook Pro from Apple, right.
I have no direct experience with particular mastering unit.
Well, all that really is up to your preferences, of course if you feel, it can bring something to the table and it's worth possible hassle, go for it.

Honestly, I'd likely make decision based on exact type of gig, budget or deep friendship with producers, musicians etc.
If that will be some great music, full of professionals around me, where all other and important stuff is already secured and fine (room, mics, mixer) and I'd intend to gain every millimetre of possible improvement, then I can possibly bring and borrow some additional outboard (even if that involve some unscrewing from rack in studio ).
However much more than some icing on the cake is often necessary to solve (and possibly add) some elementary stuff like enough mics in good condition, stable wireless transmitters, when it's used etc. Or some basic recording place issues.. like when someone asks for free recording or stream from gig in nearby bar with 4x2m podium and terrible accoustics. Or in case of some conference, spoken word thing.

Generally in case of streaming, live internet broadcast.. I can be definitely usable to have some output limiter and/or multi-band compressor at output. Also depending on type of streamed content and its typical audience, it's IMO important to find some reasonable compromise between highly dynamic output (poor ineligibility especially at mobile devices, notebooks, TVs) and some crushed dynamic range like for normal recorded music (doesn't play so well for many reasons - you can't have as clear and refined sources like in studio, so you essentially compress it and feature otherwise low-level garbage, hot output doesn't play well with downstream lossy codecs and so on).
So if you find, MBP can be useful for such overall dynamics management tasks, and you're willing to bring it, then why not.
But of course, some Yamaha digital mixers (like TF models for example) has already output multiband compressor, which can be also used for such purposes. So I'd recommend to explore also those built-in option.

I usually take also another thing, so for instance, when something is streamed using normal notebook with OBS software (very common nowadays with video), it allows to insert normal VST plugins into audio path. Although it's bit cumbersome to control in real-time, it's possible to load some output true peak
limiter (like LoudMax), preset it for say 2-3dB of gain (or none at all depending on situation ), with ceiling at -1.5 dBFS TP. Then feeding it with some input signal with some headroom. This usually works well and give it some additional protection, to avoid clipping of output stream.
But as I don't know further details about your setup, streaming app on iPad etc. OBS processing is applicable just to normal computers.

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search