The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I want to operate my DAW from a Tablet - HOW?
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

I want to operate my DAW from a Tablet - HOW?

Hi folks

Sometimes, during sessions I have a need to push star/stop/rec in my DAW, being somewhere in a middle of a studio. So, wondering, can I do this via bluetooth tablet, or smth like that?
Old 22nd April 2020
Gear Addict

Logic, Cubase, and Ableton have apps that allow you to control from a tablet. Logic’s iOS app is actually free. Ableton and Cubase’s controller apps aren’t free, but aren’t ridiculously expensive either (somewhere between $15 and $30). I can’t speak to the Android versions. I’ve used the Ableton app (the Lemur one, not Touch-Able, which is supposed to be better), and Logic Control, both of which work alright. By the way, this was for an iPad controlling my DAWs in a MacBook Pro. If you plan on a Windows/Android based setup, we’ll have to wait and see if someone who has tried them replies.

Last edited by Mortal Engines; 22nd April 2020 at 03:56 PM..
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

What tablet, OS and DAW are you using? Pro Tools has a free control app as well.

You can use Chrome remote desktop or VNC Viewer to connect to any computer from a tablet or even a phone.

These let you view your computer remotely so you'd have access to all functions in your DAW as well as general computer access when you're away. Great for emailing yourself mixes or just having access to all of your files from anywhere.

You can either see your whole screen or just zoom in on your transport if you only want big Play and Stop buttons.
Old 22nd April 2020
On the Android side, I've used the TouchDAW controller on both tablet and phone. Since it's a generic controller, it can require a little customization/tinkering but it's fairly flexible and one can often use it in conjunction with DAW shortcut keys. (It requires a single, free PC-side driver to operate.) There's a demo version so you can make sure it works before plunking down the few bucks I recall the full version costing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.humatic.tdaw

To be honest, while I was impressed by TouchDAW, I ended up creating my own, simplified, custom remote using the same PC remote control I use for 'watching' my computer from across the room (I don't have a TV but I'm still a fan of turning off my brain every now and then), Unified Remote. (My DAW, Cakewalk/BL, has assignable hotkeys, making it even easier.)

The one thing that Unified Remote doesn't really do is two way info. It's mostly a passive remote (some of the remotes available do have some info display). Whereas TouchDAW can be set up to report info from the DAW, display virtual meters, etc. Like TouchDAW, the full version costs a few bucks, as I recall. (I wish the Android Play store would display the current price of things you've already bought!)
Old 22nd April 2020
Dor
Lives for gear

I'd recommend Avid Control if you are using a tablet and a Eucon compatible DAW. It's free and provides a ton of functionality with shortcuts and stuff.

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-control

D
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Guru

I use V-Control Pro to control DP and Metric Halo.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Guru

sorry, but without my glasses on ....this Thread Title looks like ..... "I Want to Operate My DAW from a Toliet - How ?" oops ... LOL a good laugh at least !!!

cheers john
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Maniac

I used V-Control for a while, but I think about a year or so ago, I began to use Splashtop, a remote iPad PC mirroring app to control my Daw. It works great, but I sometimes need the Apple Pencil to accurately press the record button. (You can see the pencil resting against the right-hand side of the U67 reissue case.) But with a Bluetooth keyboard, I can type in the bar numbers of the areas to be looped, and go through a whole song's worth of comping. Also, it's easy to toggle between video monitors, which is useful if there are song lyrics up on one monitor, and it's time to advance them to the next section.

I believe Splashtop is free for a Wifi-only version, which is all I need. https://www.splashtop.com/

Also, I have the RME iPad app for my Fireface audio interface, which is great for setting headphone levels.

Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear
I use something similar to this with Reaper:

https://images.app.goo.gl/SnyyfjjK1x5CqKUx7

Mine's a wireless number pad with two layers of operation, i.e. a "function" modifier to switch from numbers to maths functions, all of which can be assigned to actions within Reaper.

I have three assigned specifically to: "record", "stop recording and delete", "stop recording and save", which are all I need remotely.
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I'd recommend Avid Control if you are using a tablet and a Eucon compatible DAW. It's free and provides a ton of functionality with shortcuts and stuff.

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-control

D
I'd like to try it, but how do you download the Eucon desktop app without a registered Avid product?
Old 16th September 2020 | Show parent
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeerSoe View Post
I'd like to try it, but how do you download the Eucon desktop app without a registered Avid product?
I'm pretty sure you can sign up for an account through the app and then download the software on your computer.

D
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks @ Dor , that's how it works. First test (on small phone) with Samplitude leaves me underwhelmed though - only faders, pan, meter, status knobs and transport working, no VST control.
📝 Reply