The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac Mini Build? What Kind of Mac?
Old 20th April 2020
Here for the gear

Mac Mini Build? What Kind of Mac?

I’m a home studio owner and I’m trying to upgrade from my current MacBook Pro setup to my first desktop Mac setup. I’ve browsed around for different Macs and it seems like a Mac Mini (latest version 2018) would probably be good for me. Other Mac builds are just out of my budget right now, especially the newest Mac Pro. Dear God, that’s expensive... lol

Could anyone suggest a good place to buy Macs refurbished? I want to buy a Mac Mini with at least 32GB RAM, an SSD and great processor. I use a lot of VSTs and plug-ins. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Even some ideas outside of the Mac Mini would be appreciated.
Old 1st May 2020
+1 for this. I'm going to have a look at the previous related threads but some more up-to-date advice would be appreciated if it's available. I'm not above moving to Windows...
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

I buy nearly all my Apple products refurbished from the Apple Store. I've never had any problem; many of these machines are actually new and returned unopened. They have the same 1-year warranty as a new Mac.

The only catch is that you can only choose from what's available, so if they don't have the configuration you want (especially RAM), you're out of luck. If you're not in a hurry, wait and check the store every week as new machines come up regularly. I did this with my 2013 "trashcan" Mac pro, waiting a few months until the exact configuration I wanted was available refurbished, saving almost $1K compared with buying new. I also bought my 2014 Mac Mini refurbished and it has been rock solid. My iPad Mini is also refurbished, no complaints.
Old 20th May 2020
Here for the gear

Buying refurbished from anyone but Apple: why does this have keyboard dust? This scratch wasn't in the picture...why isn't this drive wiped clean?

Buying refurbished from Apple: you mean this isn't new?
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
The only catch is that you can only choose from what's available, so if they don't have the configuration you want (especially RAM), you're out of luck.
RAM is cheap and easy to upgrade on your own in the new Mini. I'd specifically look for a unit that has the 6 core i7, at least 256GB SSD and 8 GB RAM.

32GB RAM from OWC is only another $150 CDN compared to the $750 Apple charges. Save that $600 and buy a new mic if you have the cash! Or a 2nd used Mini for an auxiliary machine.
Maxing it out at 64GB is only $350....

I've got Pro Tools and all of my plugins installed on my 256GB and still have 100GB free. If it's a studio only machine, invest the rest in a good USB C hub and external drives.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear