The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iOS: Recording my voice in multiple takes (mark them as "good/bad", then edit later)
Old 26th January 2020
Here for the gear
iOS: Recording my voice in multiple takes (mark them as "good/bad", then edit later)

Hello guys

I'm not sure where I could post this question, so I'll try it here. If it's not the right place, then someone can maybe give me a hint on where to ask (another forum).

I'm trying to create my own podcast. Nothing professional, just for fun.

When I'm recording my voice, I often need several times until the sentence that I'm trying to say is "good enough". This means that I need to do several takes, until I'm happy. And then, when I have all my sentences, I need to merge them together into one big audio file.

I'm looking for an app that can help me in this process.

In my wild phantasy, I picture myself something like the following workflow...

A simple voice recorder app, that allows to record multiple sentences (each of which can have multiple takes), and lets me decide right while recording whether I'm happy with the current take or not.

For example, it could look like this:

- Press button "New recording"
- Press button "New sentence"
- Press button "Record"
- (I speak my first take, but after a few words I get muddled, so I decide that the current take is rubbish)
- Press button "Stop & Delete recording"
- Press button "Record"
- (I speak my 2nd take, and it is better now, but I'm not quite happy yet)
- Press button "Stop & Save recording"
- Press button "Record"
- (I speak my 3rd take, and it feels even better now, so I think I'm good with the 2 saved takes)
- Press button "Stop & Save recording"
- Press button "New sentence" (and the same workflow happens again and again...)

After I have recorded all my sentences (with several takes for each/most of them), I need to easily decide which is the best take of each sentence, and maybe trim some silence, etc.

It would be even better if I could split the individual takes of a sentence and merge different segments of different takes into a final, "perfect" take.

Finally, I need to export all the sentences into a single audio file (again, I probably will need to trim some silence, etc.).

Does anybody know about an app like this? My best guess so far was using Loopy HD, but it isn't really meant to be used like this.

Thanks a lot.
Joshua
Old 3rd February 2020
Gear Addict

there's a new little app on App Store called Rmusik where I think you'll be able to do all that :-) It's meant for songwriting over a track of your own choice but you could create 10 mins of silence as mp3 or just turn down volume whatever track you have...you will see the waveform then though...

let me know what you think !
Old 23rd March 2020
Lives for gear

Just saying, you could also just learn to do it oldschool, print out your text, record with a pen in hand, make markings on the text (I use X's to mark each bad take / fumble whatever) and edit the recording after you have recorded everything. Takes can be comped from ess seams. This is how it has always been done. Its not even hard to do once you get the hang of it.
Old 1st April 2020
Lives for gear

The Apogee MetaRecorder should be good for this: every take is marked "Take 1, Take 2," etc. and you can mark any take as a favorite (double-tap on it and a contextual menu opens up where you can mark it as a favorite, add keywords, etc.), and you can add markers as well. By far my favorite recording app on iOS.

You can't use it to create comps, though (which is what you're referring to when you say you want to use the best bits from different takes and compile them into one take). You'd need a different app or a DAW to do that.
Old 17th June 2020
Hi!
Not sure if you are on iOS or Android.
I would take a look at Audio Evolution Pro or N-Track. They are on both iOS and android.
Presonus Capture (iOS)(but I'm not reallysure if its still available)
Capture can or could send the session to Studio One and edit there. Editing Capture is great,best on iPad.

Cubasis is another possibility (but IMOHO not my favourite and have strange upgrade policies)

Auria Pro is another..

Best,
Pelle
📝 Reply