The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record stereo line audio into iPhone while recording video?
Old 5th December 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Record stereo line audio into iPhone while recording video?

I'm looking for the most simple and affordable way to simply replace the internal microphone's audio input of my iPhone SE by line level audio from my audio interface, so I can record video's with high quality audio.

I think this should be possible, and I think something like the Roland GO:Mixer would suit my needs, but it has a lot more than I actually need. I don't need pre-amps or a mixer at all. Just a way to record stereo audio into the iPhone.

The reason is that I want to record my live jams without having to manually sync the recorded video to the recorded audio etc. I just want an easy way to record video with the audio of the outputs of my mixer/interface directly recorded under the video (if possible?)

Anyone got some ideas?
Old 12th May 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I know of some alternatives to Roland GO:MIXER, but they're not any cheaper.
Old 12th May 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 

I got a second hand Go:mixer, which works great! Thanks
Old 16th May 2020
  #4
Gear Head
 

If you have a Mac, you can use Quicktime to record the video where you can choose the source of audio/video independently. A connected iPhone will be shown as video/audio source.
Old 16th May 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
I'm looking for the most simple and affordable way to simply replace the internal microphone's audio input of my iPhone SE by line level audio from my audio interface
Your audio interface is probably USB, and in that case, Apple's $39 Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (plus a regular USB cable) is probably all you need. Apple also makes a $29 adapter that would do the same, but it doesn't have the pass through that lets you keep a charger plugged in at the same time, and that's probably worth having.
Old 20th May 2020
  #6
Gear Nut
 
tyro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
I got a second hand Go:mixer, which works great! Thanks
Cool! I’ve been looking at solutions for exactly the same situation. IRig pro duo I/O is an alternative but a lot more expensive than the Go:mixer... Strange that there doesn’t seem to be just a straight up 2 TRS line level to iPhone lightning interface/adapter. No preamps, no other stuff.

Anyway, are you using the instrument L/R ins to go line level out from your interface into Go:mixer via normal TRS / TS cable, or using the small “mini-tele” line in? Getting decent or even great quality sound?
Old 28th May 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
Cool! I’ve been looking at solutions for exactly the same situation. IRig pro duo I/O is an alternative but a lot more expensive than the Go:mixer... Strange that there doesn’t seem to be just a straight up 2 TRS line level to iPhone lightning interface/adapter. No preamps, no other stuff.

Anyway, are you using the instrument L/R ins to go line level out from your interface into Go:mixer via normal TRS / TS cable, or using the small “mini-tele” line in? Getting decent or even great quality sound?
I’m using a 2x jack mono to stereo mini jack cable to connect to the line input.

Getting decent sound quality indeed. Haven’t done too much with it yet, and didn’t compare to a direct recording on my pc or something, but didn’t notice anything strange sounding. It works great.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 68 views: 35077
Avatar for Deleted b788fee
Deleted b788fee 21st January 2020
replies: 1704 views: 248368
Avatar for Fleer
Fleer 20th January 2020
replies: 0 views: 769
Avatar for The Press Desk
The Press Desk 17th January 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump