The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record stereo line audio into iPhone while recording video?
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Record stereo line audio into iPhone while recording video?

I'm looking for the most simple and affordable way to simply replace the internal microphone's audio input of my iPhone SE by line level audio from my audio interface, so I can record video's with high quality audio.

I think this should be possible, and I think something like the Roland GO:Mixer would suit my needs, but it has a lot more than I actually need. I don't need pre-amps or a mixer at all. Just a way to record stereo audio into the iPhone.

The reason is that I want to record my live jams without having to manually sync the recorded video to the recorded audio etc. I just want an easy way to record video with the audio of the outputs of my mixer/interface directly recorded under the video (if possible?)

Anyone got some ideas?
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

I know of some alternatives to Roland GO:MIXER, but they're not any cheaper.
Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

I got a second hand Go:mixer, which works great! Thanks
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Head

If you have a Mac, you can use Quicktime to record the video where you can choose the source of audio/video independently. A connected iPhone will be shown as video/audio source.
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
I'm looking for the most simple and affordable way to simply replace the internal microphone's audio input of my iPhone SE by line level audio from my audio interface
Your audio interface is probably USB, and in that case, Apple's $39 Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (plus a regular USB cable) is probably all you need. Apple also makes a $29 adapter that would do the same, but it doesn't have the pass through that lets you keep a charger plugged in at the same time, and that's probably worth having.
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
I got a second hand Go:mixer, which works great! Thanks
Cool! I’ve been looking at solutions for exactly the same situation. IRig pro duo I/O is an alternative but a lot more expensive than the Go:mixer... Strange that there doesn’t seem to be just a straight up 2 TRS line level to iPhone lightning interface/adapter. No preamps, no other stuff.

Anyway, are you using the instrument L/R ins to go line level out from your interface into Go:mixer via normal TRS / TS cable, or using the small “mini-tele” line in? Getting decent or even great quality sound?
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyro View Post
Cool! I’ve been looking at solutions for exactly the same situation. IRig pro duo I/O is an alternative but a lot more expensive than the Go:mixer... Strange that there doesn’t seem to be just a straight up 2 TRS line level to iPhone lightning interface/adapter. No preamps, no other stuff.

Anyway, are you using the instrument L/R ins to go line level out from your interface into Go:mixer via normal TRS / TS cable, or using the small “mini-tele” line in? Getting decent or even great quality sound?
I’m using a 2x jack mono to stereo mini jack cable to connect to the line input.

Getting decent sound quality indeed. Haven’t done too much with it yet, and didn’t compare to a direct recording on my pc or something, but didn’t notice anything strange sounding. It works great.
📝 Reply