The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HDMI adapter and USB simultaneously using ipad w lightning?
Old 1 week ago
HDMI adapter and USB simultaneously using ipad w lightning?

Now that ios 13 is here and I can use a bluetooth mouse (which works wonderfully) the logical next step when I'm "docked" at home is to add a nice big screen. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a device that will provide usb connection and hdmi out. The apple adapter has both lightning and hdmi, but the lightning is charging only and not data. There are lightning splitters but again one side is only charging and the other headphones.

I did spend some time researching screen mirroring wirelessly through airplay and actually did successfully cast to a Roku Tv. There it was Gadget 2 in all it's glory on a 40 inch tv controlled by mouse! So close but yet so far, it was too laggy and low of frame rate to use the mouse productively. I could do it enough to operate the ipad and gadget but it just wasn't fluid enough for me to want to work on music that way. I've been looking into getting an official Apple TV receiver but I don't know if that will do better. Also I still think it would have to be zapping some of my ipad processing power to cast while running gadget. The really simple answer would be some way to just use hdmi for the screen and the usb for my midi controller. I know yamaha makes a blue tooth midi interface but i can actually play the keyboard and dont want extra latency there either.

You might wonder why I dont just buy gadget for PC. Well for one, it's only plugins. For two, I use my ipad elsewhere and want to "dock" it to do more in depth arrangement and tweaking. Of course I could export the tracks as audio and bring to ableton or something else but it's just not the same. I might want to switch sounds around, automate, play new ones etc.

So what are you guys doing? Now that you can use a mouse have any of you ventured into using a bigger screen? How are using your midi devices? Alternatively is there an audio/midi interface that has a lightning data thru I can run the hdmi off of?

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 1 week ago at 10:46 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search