The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Greenhorn looking for the right midi sequencer
Old 31st August 2019
Here for the gear

Greenhorn looking for the right midi sequencer

Hello all,
I’m mainly a modular/cv guy but looking to expand my dawless rig. Right now I have a Behringer Neutron, a Werkstatt, a couple Volcas (Modular and Drum) and a cv modded Monotron. I am controlling things with a Keystep and a Beatstep Pro. So far, so good. My next acquisition will likely be some kind of polysynth (looking at a Deepmind 12R).

What I want to do is be able to record polyphonic midi sequences without quantization. I want to get this going on my iPad and get into the swing of things before, possibly shifting over to a piece of hardware.

What app would you recommend for this sort of thing? I don’t need to trigger samples or anything like that. Just record midi tracks at as close to real time as possible in the digital world. Thank you all in advance.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Head

Auria pro is very good, worth $50 imo.

I assume you're doing this (buying hw synths) to play live? I ran a hw based midi studio 30 years ago doing tv/film, room full of hw, much happier now in the box, although physical knobs can be fun. Imo we're within a few years of routine live playing entirely in the box...should be there now but folks don't quite trust their ipad. I've sold all my hw synths. I built my first synth almost 50 years ago plus two more during engineering school, so love hw, but these virtual synths are fantastic and of course STABLE.

Anyway maybe auria pro can help you. Honestly the best documentation I've seen plus I got a free Lynda course (premium LinkedIn member).
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

while I'm in favour of Auria Pro as a studio in the box for MIDI + audio + mixing, too, Cubasis 2 might be the better choice as a plain MIDI sequencer for hardware synths. Auria Pro does improve, IOW it does change MIDI routing with almost each update and it's still a PITA compared to Cubasis 2.

However, you shouldn't expect that modern computers are very good sequencers for usage with hardware synths, you should expect hardware MIDI quirks, such as jitter and features optimized for controlling plugin synth. At the same time some virtual synths are quite close to hardware synths.

Comparing the virtual Moog Model D, don't confuse it with Aturia's iMini, played via a good pro-sumer or professional USB audio device, comes close to the sound richness of my Curtis CEM based Oberheim Matrix-1000.

Cubase for the Atari ST didn't suffer from hardware MIDI jitter and provided an editor for the Matrix-1000 and other hardware synths. While SysEx data isn't real-time data, you anyway could use those old sequencers with several MIDI outputs for controlling a hardware synth, such as the Martix-1000 by SysEx data in real-time.

This doesn't work with a modern computer and modern sequencer anymore, hardware MIDI jitter and other hardware MIDI quirks might not bother you, but the modern machines are missing classic sequencer features in favour of providing features, to control plugin synth in a way, that non-modular synth are missing nothing you could do with a modular synth, it's just way easier to archive, as if using a modular synth.

2 Cents,
Ralf
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar request -- looking to sequence two of the PreenFM2's instruments simultaneously, ideally using an iPad app ... would Cubasis permit that?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search