The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Integrating Ipad Pro 12.9 into existing Synth Setup for Homerecording
Old 21st August 2019
Here for the gear

Integrating Ipad Pro 12.9 into existing Synth Setup for Homerecording

Hello folks,

I‘ve recently bought the newest Ipad. Although I initially intended to use it only for studying purposes, I‘ve fiddled around with some of the many synth apps available and thus became completely enamored with the Animoog.

As such, I now want to integrate the Animoog into my already existing home studio. However, the single output on the Ipad seems to be a big roadblock.

Here‘s how my studio looks so far: I have a Peak and a Boog, whose audio is routed into a focusrite saffire pro 40, which is connected via ADAT to my primary interface, an apollo twin (which I use for microphone recordings). This is further connected to my DAW via USB.

Further, I‘ve connected the midi-through of the Peak to the midi-in of the saffire and the midi-in of the peak to an external midi-keyboard. This way, using different or equal midi-channels, I can choose to play them seperately or simultaneously. From this, I want to make more or less obvious how I wish to use the Animoog:

1) Have the audio of the Ipad be somehow routed into the interface, so that I can hear the Animoog alongside my already existing synths, and pre-recorded audio on the DAW.

2) Have the possibility to control the Animoog via my external midi-keyboard (a keystep), so that I may choose to play it both seperately and simultaneously with my other synths.

Buying additional gear for theses purposes is an option (and seems to be inevitable), though one I‘d like to keep as cost-effective as possible.

Thanks in advance

Benni
Old 29th August 2019
Here for the gear
you on mac?
Old 31st August 2019
I think you will need to buy some sort of converter for your USB C out on the iPad. At the very low end, you could use the Apple USB to headphone adapter into your Focusrite via a stereo mini jack to dual 1/4 inch adapter. You'd then need to use network midi though, to play the iPad with your KeyStep.

You might consider purchasing a small interface specifically for your iPad, like one of the small IK Multimedia interfaces or an iConnect audio 2.

Another option would be to shelf the Focusrite and get a new audio interface that is compatible with your iPad. You could then connect your Peak (I'm jealous, I want a Peak!) and your Boog to the interface for recording, and if you get a little midi box as well then you will have the luxury of mixing, recording, and/or controlling everything - Peak, Boog and Animoog - via the iPad, or just passing an audio submix through to your Appollo.

I have an iPad Pro, but have one with headphone out. I've got the Focusrite 18i20 (gen 2, USB). It's usually connected to my Mac but I've also connected it to my iPad. I've got an iConnect Midi 4+ for midi processing which I can connect to my Focusrite via midi cables or over my network. It's a handy setup, and I've got way more IO than I need, but I can route midi and audio wherever and to whatever is connected to my setup, and I can use the Focusrite with my Macs, iOS devices, and my Linux computers, which are running Fedora. The biggest problem I have is just picking how I want to hook things up!

I think if I were trying to choose the most versatile setup (based only on my own experience, your mileage may vary!) for your gear and the problem you described, that is probably what I would do. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could get set up with a used gen2 Scarlett 4i4 and an iConnectivity Mio 2x2 for less than $300, if you buy the interface used, and this will allow you to do what you're trying to do. An iConnect Audio 4+ would also do the trick at around $350, new.

It's "Labor Day" weekend in the states, so keep your eye out for sales this weekend. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest picking up Audiobus, Aum, and Audioshare.

Hope this helps!
Old 4th September 2019
Lives for gear

I created an aggregate device in my audio/midi app ( in utilities on a Mac ) that brings in audio from both my RME and the Lightning iPad connection. You could do the same thing with your Apollo. I can monitor the iPad sounds in Ableton by engaging the input of the iPad track. I play my iPad synths via Bluetooth keyboard though I think I’ve also used midi over usb from Ableton to my iPad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search