The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Linear classical sketch ipad workflow
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 

Linear classical sketch ipad workflow

I often carry manuscript paper to sketch ideas i.e. on airplane or subway. Sometimes it works great, other times I notate poorly and the idea is lost (or just wasn't good).

No disrespect to beats producers (like my son), but I do more traditional linear composition, melodic and harmonic themes. Having access to plugins/sounds can help capture a particular idea, however, I don't want to produce a finished track on the ipad, just document ideas.

Data entry could be notation, midi or audio (simply play/record). I own a nice portable keyboard controller (cme) but can't always pull it out.

If this sounds like you...what is your work flow, especially for notation or midi data entry?

Possibilities?
- GarageBand - obvious simple solution to throw something down.
- FL mobile, my son loves the FL piano roll.
- Notion iOS - wonder if it might be fiddly, getting rests, note values correct etc.
- I picked up Auria, Gadget 2, audiobus, nanostudio2, aum...maybe something to just record with.

Thanks for your thoughts. Trying to avoid investing time learning dead-end tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Garageband, Nanostudio 2 & Xequence 2 are probably best for this.

Garageband is harder to get the MIDI out of but for sketch purposes that doesn't matter all that much.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Garageband, Nanostudio 2 & Xequence 2 are probably best for this.

Garageband is harder to get the MIDI out of but for sketch purposes that doesn't matter all that much.
Thanks Xequence2 is new to me. Interesting about garageband midi. Wondering if anybody has tried Notion...I like notation but can't deal with fiddly details.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Head
 

Hi!!
Have a look at Notion.
But I must admit I mostly use Good Notes for sketching ideas. With the pen it's just like writing on paper using a music paper template.
I don't want some crappy sound from the iPad when creating :-)
Afterwards it's great to notate and write it in in a score using Notion, later to send to Finale on the desktop.
In the subway or on the go, I mostly just record me humming/ singing.
Best regards,
Pelle Fridell
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellefri View Post
Hi!!
Have a look at Notion.
But I must admit I mostly use Good Notes for sketching ideas. With the pen it's just like writing on paper using a music paper template.
I don't want some crappy sound from the iPad when creating :-)
Afterwards it's great to notate and write it in in a score using Notion, later to send to Finale on the desktop.
In the subway or on the go, I mostly just record me humming/ singing.
Best regards,
Pelle Fridell
So you use Notion?
Thanks, will check out Good Notes, although even a crappy rendition in Notion seems useful to me. I just want to avoid slowing down with complicated tie notes, dotted rhythms and rests. I've heard notion flags issues (kind of like punctuation errors in Word) to fix later vs an error message you have to address before moving on...which would be good and not cumbersome. Is that how it works?
Having fun with nanostudio2...seems well designed and more powerful than expected. Easy to fall into bleepy sound effects vs composing but doesn't have to turn into that.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgatl View Post
So you use Notion?
Thanks, will check out Good Notes, although even a crappy rendition in Notion seems useful to me. I just want to avoid slowing down with complicated tie notes, dotted rhythms and rests. I've heard notion flags issues (kind of like punctuation errors in Word) to fix later vs an error message you have to address before moving on...which would be good and not cumbersome. Is that how it works?
Having fun with nanostudio2...seems well designed and more powerful than expected. Easy to fall into bleepy sound effects vs composing but doesn't have to turn into that.
Nanostudio 2 is very powerful.

This, while a little cheesy was all done in Nanostudio 2:

https://soundcloud.com/scottvanzandt...he-magic-sword

& no that is not me.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump