The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
looping/aligning recorded drums in iOS
Old 7th August 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

looping/aligning recorded drums in iOS

I'm trying to record an old drum machine into iOS. It looks like the tempo is off so it needs some adjustment. I'd like to record, trim to a loop, then adjust the transients to snap to the grid. Is there anything that will do this for me automatically? Something like Audiosnap in Sonar? What would be the options for doing it manually?
Old 7th August 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

You could trim it manually with Audioshare or you could do it with transient detection in Beatmaker 3.
Old 8th August 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
You could trim it manually with Audioshare or you could do it with transient detection in Beatmaker 3.
Thanks. I was just looking at Beatmaker3. In the Help file I couldn't see an option to move the transients around once they were detected. Can I do that? Something like this from 1:44 ....

Old 8th August 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
Thanks. I was just looking at Beatmaker3. In the Help file I couldn't see an option to move the transients around once they were detected. Can I do that? Something like this from 1:44 ....

I don't think so, but I might be wrong. I don't think anything on iOS can do that really.
Old 8th August 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I don't think so, but I might be wrong. I don't think anything on iOS can do that really.
Thanks.
I just gave Beatmaker3 a try. The auto tempo and slice detect get some of the way. And it looks like I can match the loop BPM to project, so that'll help too. Just have to find a way to nudge individual transients and I'm all set.

I like the look of Beatmaker3. Might tempt me away from Cubasis for a while.
Old 8th August 2019
  #6
Here for the gear
 

Hi,

does the drum machine provide MIDI? If MIDI fails, there are possible workarounds to get MIDI working. If it shouldn't provide MIDI, does it have some analog sync option?

In the times way before I even synced tape recorders by SMPTE, when using the Atari ST, I used a C64. The C64's sync-to-tape-by-click-signal-thingy [see attachment] provided additional outputs, that perhaps could be used to sync other oldish gear, too.

Maybe there are hardware solutions available, you could get for less money or even for free as in beer.

Regards,
Ralf
Attached Thumbnails
looping/aligning recorded drums in iOS-msdsygl.jpg  
Old 8th August 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxaudio View Post
Hi,

does the drum machine provide MIDI? If MIDI fails, there are possible workarounds to get MIDI working. If it shouldn't provide MIDI, does it have some analog sync option?

In the times way before I even synced tape recorders by SMPTE, when using the Atari ST, I used a C64. The C64's sync-to-tape-by-click-signal-thingy [see attachment] provided additional outputs that perhaps could be used to sync other oldish gear, too.

Perhaps there are hardware solutions available you could get for less money or even for free as in beer.

Regards,
Ralf
Thanks. I hadn't thought of fixing it straight out of the machine. The one I'm attempting at the minute has a trig in/out. I'll take a look to see what I can do with that. If I can at least get a steady 118bpm out, that'll be a start.
Old 8th August 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 

Consider to use a sound sampler and just to sample 1 bar or perhaps up to 4 bars of the loop, one after the other. Within such a short range sync should be no issue at all. Then use a normal MIDI track to play one sound sample after the other with your favourite hardware or software sound sampler. You even could use a wav editor to add or remove a few frames of the sampled loop fragments, which perhaps isn't needed, but might be needed, if a swing feature of the analog drum machine should cause issues, when playing one loop fragment sample after the other. This is how I workaround similar issues.
Old 8th August 2019
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
The one I'm attempting at the minute has a trig in/out. I'll take a look to see what I can do with that.
It depends. Without additional hardware, it still might be possible that you could generate some 'MIDI -> audio' track with a software synth output, that is suitable to the expected trigger signal, assuming you at least have got enough analog audio IOs and informations about what signal is expected to trigger the analog drum machine.

Since there are likely no hardware solutions at hand for you right now and even a perfectly working software solution would render a swing feature of the analog drum machine completely useless, if I were you, I would still consider to use a sound sampler, so you still could even preserve a swing feature with a little bit of editing.
Old 8th August 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
tricera's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxaudio View Post
It depends. Without additional hardware, it still might be possible that you could generate some 'MIDI -> audio' track with a software synth output, that is suitable to the expected trigger signal, assuming you at least have got enough analog audio IOs and informations about what signal is expected to trigger the analog drum machine.

Since there are likely no hardware solutions at hand for you right now and even a perfectly working software solution would render a swing feature of the analog drum machine completely useless, if I were you, I would still consider to use a sound sampler, so you still could even preserve a swing feature with a little bit of editing.
Thanks. I've just about got there with Beatmaker3. Trim the loop manually -> auto tempo/slice detect -> add to the song and "live stretch" to song tempo.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump