The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IPad with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

IPad with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen

Sorry to start a new thread on an old topic but i can’t find my problem online.

I read that although not officially supported, many people can record multiple tracks at once, using these Scarletts with IOS IPads.

But when I connect all (correctly), I am having issues.

First, upon power up of Scarlett, the 1st channel’s INST light is on. And 2nd channel’s INST light remains off. HOW DO YOU ADJUST THIS? There is no hardware button on the Scarlett for this?! Can adjustments be done from IOS?

I want to do something so common: Connect two of the same mics, into channels 1&2, same level settings. And play/record at the same time. But right now, channel 1 is much louder and I can hardly even hear CH2.

As for 3 & 4 (front panel), I want these set for low-z active piezo pickups.

I made sure the iPad shows the 18i8 as the interface. And I made 4 tracks. And I have monitor on, for each track (Cubasis). So why am I not getting all 4 tracks to sound at once?

Do I need to connect this Scarlett to a computer first, to set something up? shouldn’t it just work (with Cubasis)?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Never mind..

For those who don't know, in order to use these ‘unofficially“ with iPad, it is first needed to connect to a computer to set up wanted parameters. The unit then remembers those settings for IOS connect.

This coming from Focusrite tech support.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,

I suspect this is nonsense, I used the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen with my iPad 2 first, before I ever used it with a desktop computer. However, the desktop computer is a Linux PC and does connect to the Focusrite class compliant, too, IOW my Linux PC can't do more to the 18i20 than my iPads can do. Actually the 18i20 as well as the 18i8 is sold as a class compliant audio interface, so claiming using it with an iPad is "unofficial" makes no sense at all.

Today I tried to get sound out of my iPad Pro with and without using AUM or Audiobus, while connected to a Scarlett 18i20 2nd gen again.

I often have got issue when changing hardware outputs for my iPads, but usually it's solved after one or two times rebooting and/or restarting the apps. In the last days I only used an USB to headphone adapter, Bluetooth and the internal speakers.

All settings were as usual, so I only could reboot and/or restart apps and re-plug the USB cable or turn the audio device off and on. Today it didn't take a few minutes, it might have taken a few hours to get it working again.

Actually I want to continue an Auria Pro project without using AUM or Audiobus, but for testing purpose I mainly used synths and AUM.

iPad Pro iOS 12.4 audio app -> AUM 44100 Hz 256 frames -> Scarlett 18i20 channel 7 + 8 -> Amp -> Speakers

No sound, so I tested with my iPad 2.

iPad 2 iOS 9.3.5 audio app -> AUM 44100 Hz 256 frames -> Scarlett 18i20 channel 7 + 8 -> Amp -> Speakers

No sound, so I tested with my Linux PC.

Linux audio app -> jackd -dalsa -dhw:USB -r44100 -p256 -n2 -> Scarlett 18i20 channel 7 + 8 -> Amp -> Speakers

Immediately sound. I tried again with the iPad 2.

iPad 2 iOS 9.3.5 audio app -> AUM 44100 Hz 256 frames -> Scarlett 18i20 channel 7 + 8 -> Amp -> Speakers

Now the iPad 2 even didn't notice the Scarlett 18i20 anymore, after a while it did notice it again and audio out started working.
I connected the iPad Pro again.

iPad Pro iOS 12.4 audio app -> AUM 44100 Hz 256 frames -> Scarlett 18i20 channel 7 + 8 -> Amp -> Speakers

It works now, too again and Auria Pro is also working now without using AUM, btw. even with just 32 frames, but for mixing I prefer it bullet prove by using 256 frames.

Note, I'm using this audio interface only with the iPads, very seldom for testing purpose with Linux. Linux does use class compliant mode, too, no vendor specific driver.

Is anybody else experiencing such issues? Is there an easy way to get rid of those issues?

Regards,
Ralf
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My apologies, the 18i20 has got hardware buttons, this indeed makes a big difference. So I'm mistaken, however, this means that a Linux, FreeBSD etc. desktop PC won't do the job either.
Don't you experience the issues I described, too?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The Scarlett series is not class compliant.
I too am a Linux user (Ubuntu Studio 18.04, was using Ardour just recently switched to MixBus). I also use the 18i20, although mine is first generation.
Although there is not a vendor supported driver on Linux, 90% of the hardware functionality has been backward engineered and incorporated into ALSA since version something point something. If you open up any one of the UI's for ALSA mixer, or run ALSA from the terminal line, you will see that the system not only recognizes all the I/Os of the 18i20 but it will also recognize the 10-20 monitor mixes that you can set up.
As far as getting them to work right with an iPad, you'll have to ask someone with experience, but honestly I'm surprised it works at all. Focusrite literally sells a Scarlett specifically for the iPad. I think it was called the Solo...?
But yeah, definitely not class-compliant. That's why it has drivers and ASIO software on Windows and OSX.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaamah View Post
The Scarlett series is not class compliant.
I too am a Linux user (Ubuntu Studio 18.04, was using Ardour just recently switched to MixBus). I also use the 18i20, although mine is first generation.
Although there is not a vendor supported driver on Linux, 90% of the hardware functionality has been backward engineered and incorporated into ALSA since version something point something. If you open up any one of the UI's for ALSA mixer, or run ALSA from the terminal line, you will see that the system not only recognizes all the I/Os of the 18i20 but it will also recognize the 10-20 monitor mixes that you can set up.
As far as getting them to work right with an iPad, you'll have to ask someone with experience, but honestly I'm surprised it works at all. Focusrite literally sells a Scarlett specifically for the iPad. I think it was called the Solo...?
But yeah, definitely not class-compliant. That's why it has drivers and ASIO software on Windows and OSX.
All Focusrite USB 2.0 interfaces are 'Class Compliant', which means that they can be connected to a Mac without needing to install a separate driver. For Windows, a driver is required. The Scarlett Range were not designed to be used with iPad, it isn't part of our test procedure as they're designed primarily for Mac and Windows PC. As they are Class Compliant devices they can, in theory, be used with iPad. All of the Scarlett 3rd Generation audio interfaces utilise our Focusrite Control software which can only be installed on Mac and Windows. Changes made using Focusrite Control are automatically saved to the hardware.
We previously created iTrack Solo which was designed for use with iPad and that featured Device Link connectivity.

John // Focusrite UK
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well, from the horse's mouth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The Scarlett series is class compliant, the 1st gen as well as the 2nd gen.
Robin's Scarlett mixer for Linux works only for the 1st gen, it does not work for the 2nd gen, https://github.com/x42/scarlett-mixer.
You cannot simply add the IDs of 2nd gen devices to the code, it was discussed and tested, but I'm not willing to search the links, since it's anyway OT.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Yeah John just clarified that. I guess I'm confused because I figured class-compliant meant all features can be utilized without hardware specific software. Like being able to set which line outputs are controlled by the hardware "Volume Monitor" knob for example.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search