The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iPhone app or record audio. Must have direct monitoring.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

iPhone app or record audio. Must have direct monitoring.

I’m looking for an iPhone app that allows audio to be recorded from the headphone/lightning connector but the most important criteria is that it allows for live monitoring over the speaker.

There are dozens of audio recording apps so I’d rather not demo them all to find one.
Old 4th July 2019
Lives for gear

143 views and no suggestions.

This must be possible... surely.

All I want is to plug a cable into the iPhone and hear that input over the internal speaker.

Thoughts?
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head

What are you are you recording? Vocals? Then you need a microphone and an interface. That would solve your problem. You also need a headphone in this case so you wouldn’t get feedback. Again you need an interface for this.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head

If you want to record for example a guitar or a synthesizer as audio you have to get the signal into the phone. You need an interface. At least a small one like IRig for example.
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Head

As for software, GarageBand can do it. It’s excellent. Included on iPhone. Free.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Squirrel View Post
What are you are you recording? Vocals? Then you need a microphone and an interface. That would solve your problem. You also need a headphone in this case so you wouldn’t get feedback. Again you need an interface for this.
Hi, thanks for your reply however I don't think I was clear.

I'm not looking to record anything; there are a load of apps and audio interfaces out there that allow for that. What I want is to be able to monitor a live stream of my DAW on the iPhone speaker (purely as another reference).

Overnight I did come across Studio Pass by Steinberg so that may work (yet to test) but a simple old-school analog cable solution would be ideal. As I mentioned in the original post I have found countless apps but due to the iPhone architecture they all disable the main speaker when a headphone cable is plugged in. I need an option in the app to override that and even apps by audio companies such as Tascam and Rode don't have this feature.

Also, I had been recommend AirFoil which seemed ideal but I couldn't get it to work. The iPhone say's it's receiving audio but I can't hear anything and then it drops out 4 seconds later.

I hope I made more sense now.
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear
Not sure if this is applicable but i read it this thread straight after reading yours.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...l#post14075549

the app may have what you need (or not)
Old 5th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
Not sure if this is applicable but i read it this thread straight after reading yours.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...l#post14075549

the app may have what you need (or not)
Thanks. Will check it out over the weekend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search