The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iPad Live rig
Old 2nd July 2019
Here for the gear

iPad Live rig

Hi
I play violin and also sing with backup tracks. I perform all over and my setup needs to be as simple as possible and fast to set up. Sometimes I have very little time to setup so it is important for me to have everything prepared in advance.
So my setup so far is:
iPad air original
Apogee one (black-iPad)
Behringer xVive wireless
Audix mic (or sometimes wireless Line 6)

So I run my violin and mic into the Apogee one and I run Cubasis where I set up the levels and effects for the violin and for the mic. I absolutely love this as I can dial in from home all the eq, compression and effects and the quality is amazing. Also it fits in very nicely on top of my background tracks, making it seamless. I always hated the fact that when I use an analog mixer, the quality of the effects are much lower and it sounds much different to me than the digital effects I have in Cubasis.
I also use the iPad StrageTracXX app to organize playlists and also I have cues or lyrics reminders. I can change the songs or the order on the fly so this app works very nice for me.

Now the problem seems to be either with the Apogee One or with Cubasis. I used 2 different Apogee One interfaces and both had the same issue: in the middle of performance I will get a weird loud buzz but strangely enough the playback track would still go but a little choppy. This is not the first time happening. Sometimes I would have a hard time connecting the iPad with the Apogee and Cubasis wouldn't see the audio interface.
So the pentacle of my frustration was reached this weekend when I rehearsed with the setup for a whole week without any issue, I set up and tested at the venue a night before without any troubles, I even did a sound check right before the start time. Then 5 minutes into my performance I just got a loud buzz and I had to stop in the middle of my performance. This is very frustrating for me since I really tried everything to avoid this issue.

So my question here would be: What would be an alternative setup to give me similar results (sound)?
Should I try an Apogee Duet? How about the iConnect Audio2?
I used for a short period a TC Helicon Voicelive 3 Extreme pedal, but while the vocal effects and capabilities were pretty nice, the guitar effects for violin were not suitable for my violin and my style and also selecting the tracks was a little difficult. I s there anything similar out there with 2 mic inputs and digital effects where I can add maybe the iPad tracks?
Thank you in advance!
Old 3rd July 2019
Here for the gear

Sorry to hear you had issues into your performance; I can relate; it's not fun. In your post, you didn't mention if you found the source of the buzz. If you haven't, it is theoretically possible there was interference that occurred at the time of your performance. You may want to look into that. 2.4GHz is a very used frequency and can be problematic in wireless systems as a lot of devices operate there. Sometimes changing the channel your transmitter/receiver operate on helps. If your rehearsals and sound checks went fine and it only happened during your performance, it's possible someone or something was present during your performance that wasn't there during sound check that was the culprit. It's also possible this was not the problem but you may try intentionally causing interference at 2.4GHz just to see if you can reproduce the issue in a controlled environment just to lock down that variable. If you've already determined the wireless system was not the source then feel free to ignore this post.

Cheers
Old 4th July 2019
Is there a way to view log files on an iPad? A comparison of logs from the rehearsal times to the time the buzz occurred might reveal a rouge process running at the time, or give some other clue as to what may be causing it.

Good luck!
Old 10th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusB View Post
Sorry to hear you had issues into your performance; I can relate; it's not fun. In your post, you didn't mention if you found the source of the buzz. If you haven't, it is theoretically possible there was interference that occurred at the time of your performance. You may want to look into that. 2.4GHz is a very used frequency and can be problematic in wireless systems as a lot of devices operate there. Sometimes changing the channel your transmitter/receiver operate on helps. If your rehearsals and sound checks went fine and it only happened during your performance, it's possible someone or something was present during your performance that wasn't there during sound check that was the culprit. It's also possible this was not the problem but you may try intentionally causing interference at 2.4GHz just to see if you can reproduce the issue in a controlled environment just to lock down that variable. If you've already determined the wireless system was not the source then feel free to ignore this post.

Cheers
Thanks for the idea, but it definitely was not the wireless. I plugged the wireless directly into the mixer to finish my set and all went good. The buzz was a lot louder and more of a digital glitch type, like when you load too many VST's into your DAW (I'm sure we all did that at some point). Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 10th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutek View Post
Is there a way to view log files on an iPad? A comparison of logs from the rehearsal times to the time the buzz occurred might reveal a rouge process running at the time, or give some other clue as to what may be causing it.

Good luck!
Hmm, interesting idea, thank you very much for the suggestion.
I did a google search but did not find anything regarding log files for Cubasis on iPad. I'll search more in details on Steinberg forums. I tend to think that it might of been a DAW glitch, because it was loud and digital, like when you load too many VST's into your DAW. I checked my processing monitor on the iPad and rarely goes over 25%, but who know, it could of been some app trying to update or something of similar nature, It's worth mentioning that the iPad was on airplane mode however the bluetooth was on and paired with a PageTurn pedal.
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hello Niculescuady!

I am a big user of the ios ecosystem as well (and a violonist too!).

When you mention "the playback track would still go but a little choppy", it seems to me that your iPad is running out of computing power.
Maybe Cubasis (and I don't know how many effects you're running real-time) is too demanding for an iPad Air

1st generation, I guess?
which version of iOS are you running?

A beginining of solution : have you tried higher samples buffer size? How much are you set on, currently?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search