The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
using an iPhone app to control an iPad?
Old 10th June 2019
using an iPhone app to control an iPad?

Is there a way to have a mixing app on an iPhone control mix levels of iOS instruments on an iPad as well as the volume of backing tracks being play by the iPad?

I use the iPad with a chart reader app (that also allows me to load and play the matching backing track MP3) however being as I need the chart reader during the song, if I need to make "on the fly" changes to the F.O.H. mix I cannot drop out of the chart reader to go to a separate mixing app on the iPad, hence the need for the question.

Trying to create a "minimalist" stage setup for small gigs just using the gear I have available.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It probably depends on what your mp3 player is on your iPad/iPhone. If your mp3 player or sheet music reader's built-in mp3 player are Audiobus 3 enabled (like Anytune+ which I use, there may be others), then one way is to use Audiobus and Audiobus Remote apps. On your iPad, load the Audiobus enabled mp3 player in Audiobus, then launch Audiobus Remote on your iPhone. Then you can control Audiobus including audio levels from your iPhone; they connect via Bluetooth LE.

I'm not affiliated with the people that make Anytune+ but I like it a lot for playing/looping audio files for backing tracks in live performances because I can loop verse, bridge, chorus, solo sections etc. on the fly. If you're using your sheet music reader's built-in mp3 player, then the challenge is probably going to be how much effort you're willing to put into porting all your mp3s to another Audiobus enabled player. It is nice to pull up songs by sheet music and there are sheet music apps that can do this with external apps either through midi CC or sysex commands. I use UnRealbook which can do this to a certain degree and it's my understanding OnSong (which is probably more popular) can as well but I'm not 100% sure (you'll have to research this). Both cost $ with OnSong costing more than UnRealBook because of base price and inapp purchases. If you stick with the sheet music reader route, you'll still need an mp3 player that is Audiobus enabled and can accept midi CC or sysex commands from external apps. Unfortunately, I don't know of any at this moment. My only issue with this approach is it has potential points of failure. If the commands from the sheet music reader are interrupted for example, that can be a problem in a live performance situation. Also if the commands are contingent upon a set order of mp3s, then if you add or delete an mp3 for whatever reason, that can screw up things. This is the main reason I don't take this approach. Embedding mp3s or attaching them to a specific PDF within my sheet music reader is most reliable. 2nd is using a separate app for mp3s where reordering/adding/deleting is no issue.

For me, I use Audiobus 3, Audiobus Remote, Anytune+ and unRealbook for this application. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Thanks again MarkusB - I too use UnRealbook, and it does nto really lend itself to anything but a bog standard MP3 player.

I am intrigued by the Anytune+ ability to loop audio...I am definitely going to check it out as that is something that I have wanted to do for a long time!

I used to do it live with MIDI files way back, but I have not heard of an audio player that could do the same, big thanks there!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, Anytune+ is very cool for looping sections. You basically create markers in your audio file and turn on/off sections for looping. What's very nice about this app is you can have it go immediately to a certain section or wait until the current section ends and then go to it. It's very similar to the Conductor feature in Band-in-a-Box if you've ever used BIAB before or currently. I switched to Anytune+ from BIAB because the Conductor feature was only reliable when using all midi sounds. I could never get it to work well with the Real Tracks. So often I create an audio file in BIAB using Real Tracks and then slice it up in Anytune+ for live performance.

I've never done this before on this forum but I am attaching a screen shot of a song in Anytune+. If it you can view it - the marker "Verse 1" is currently selected to loop. Looped sections are indicated in the audio file in orange. You can loop a section or loop across multiple sections as well. You can sort of get lyrics to scroll along with the tune as you can see I have here. It's not exact as it interpolates the length of the lyrics with the length of the audio file. You can tweak it by adding carriage returns and spaces in the lyrics to get it close enough. I stumbled upon it when doing a typical search "is there and app that can do..." and there was a YouTube video of a woman singing that used it for this purpose. I believe the app is originally intended for practicing riffs but this person started using it differently; and now I do too.
Attached Thumbnails
using an iPhone app to control an iPad?-img_6699.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusB View Post
Yeah, Anytune+ is very cool for looping sections. You basically create markers in your audio file and turn on/off sections for looping. What's very nice about this app is you can have it go immediately to a certain section or wait until the current section ends and then go to it. It's very similar to the Conductor feature in Band-in-a-Box if you've ever used BIAB before or currently. I switched to Anytune+ from BIAB because the Conductor feature was only reliable when using all midi sounds. I could never get it to work well with the Real Tracks. So often I create an audio file in BIAB using Real Tracks and then slice it up in Anytune+ for live performance.

I've never done this before on this forum but I am attaching a screen shot of a song in Anytune+. If it you can view it - the marker "Verse 1" is currently selected to loop. Looped sections are indicated in the audio file in orange. You can loop a section or loop across multiple sections as well. You can sort of get lyrics to scroll along with the tune as you can see I have here. It's not exact as it interpolates the length of the lyrics with the length of the audio file. You can tweak it by adding carriage returns and spaces in the lyrics to get it close enough. I stumbled upon it when doing a typical search "is there and app that can do..." and there was a YouTube video of a woman singing that used it for this purpose. I believe the app is originally intended for practicing riffs but this person started using it differently; and now I do too.
Cool, yep I got the pic there! so it can also show lyrics - impressive. One quick question...can I control the songs played (or indeed select songs "dynamically" or, IE, with no pre-arranged playlist) from Unrealbook with a MIDI command?

Thanks for this info, invaluable!

PS: Yep I have BIAB too and that is exactly what I use it for, creating audio backing tracks...mostly for jazz and originals I do my "pub/club" songs on the DAW. I have often looked at Conductor but was never convinced enough to try it. Especially after reading stories like yours using it live.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Although Anytune does respond to midi commands, it's only Change Control commands not Program Change commands. You can control a lot of how the app works like start/stop, skip to marker, speed control, show/hide lyrics etc., but no ability to control the setlist function.

It's a challenge having unRealbook as your main hub from which all others are controlled although I certainly see the advantage if charts are central. I started out this way with unRealbook as my main hub, then decided to go a different route. I now use a separate iPad for sheet music (had to save up) which means I do have to load the sheet music on one and the audio on another. Most music apps I use landscape while sheet music is always portrait so switching between them was too cumbersome and something had to give. It wasn't fun porting to a new way of doing things, so I completely understand staying with your current process. I did it once and hope to never have to do it again. I would make an exception if unRealbook had more external control though. The developer of unRealbook really does listen and implement user requests and lets us know the likelyhood what will come next which is fantastic so hopefully he will add more functionality for external control like Midiflow or others.
Old 2 weeks ago
Cool, thanks. Yep I'd like to get a second iPad and do a similar thing...be a lot easier and there are some great devices these days you can plug an iPad into.

Well thanks again for taking the time to respond, you have given me a lot to go on with and think about!

Cheers
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusB View Post
Although Anytune does respond to midi commands, it's only Change Control commands not Program Change commands. You can control a lot of how the app works like start/stop, skip to marker, speed control, show/hide lyrics etc., but no ability to control the setlist function.

It's a challenge having unRealbook as your main hub from which all others are controlled although I certainly see the advantage if charts are central. I started out this way with unRealbook as my main hub, then decided to go a different route. I now use a separate iPad for sheet music (had to save up) which means I do have to load the sheet music on one and the audio on another. Most music apps I use landscape while sheet music is always portrait so switching between them was too cumbersome and something had to give. It wasn't fun porting to a new way of doing things, so I completely understand staying with your current process. I did it once and hope to never have to do it again. I would make an exception if unRealbook had more external control though. The developer of unRealbook really does listen and implement user requests and lets us know the likelyhood what will come next which is fantastic so hopefully he will add more functionality for external control like Midiflow or others.

Just as an update....I bought the Anytune Pro+ and based on your advice I think it's going to be a very useful tool for liver work. I also bought Camelot Pro (a bit like Mainstage but for iOS). iFretless is an AU app so it should allow me to run several instances, so within Camelot (which will also allow me to create song specific setups - all within the iPad) I an do what I need to have the two or three different basses I'll need. THe song setups from Camelot can then be selected via MIDI (internal iOS) with a PC message from Unrealbook....

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Wow, hadn't heard of Camelot Pro. It looks very interesting. I'm going to compare it to iMidipatchbay and Midiflow cuz you never know if it will be a better fit more me. Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, I've been messing about with it a bit...and it's pretty damn cool! Can set splits layers and all sorts as well. set specific MIDI channels...can setup multiple scenes with songs. All setlists songs and scenes can all be selected via MIDI, including from within Unrealbook.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Several solutions :

* Audiobus remote (if the app you're using allows it)
* Midi over bluetooth / wifi + a Midi designed interface on your phone with something like MidiDesigner, TouchOsc, Lemur,...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search