The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's the status of Android recording?
Old 31st May 2019
Lives for gear

What's the status of Android recording?

What's the status of 2-8track hiQ audio recording on android phones and tablets?

Could I expect to use my Moto G4 with an 32GB SD-card for serious location recording?
Old 31st May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
What's the status of 2-8track hiQ audio recording on android phones and tablets?

Could I expect to use my Moto G4 with an 32GB SD-card for serious location recording?
You can get high-quality two-track recordings on Android devices (with the right mics), but don't expect multi-track recording any time soon. Between the OS's handling of audio as a lower priority than other things, and the fragmentation of the OS and hardware, it appears many developers are staying away from it. Even the ability to move audio, video and photos and certain apps to your SD card can be limited by OS or hardware, and that doesn't help matters (or the developers who have to account for such things).

It's a shame, but it appears that for now, you're limited to two-track recordings...though you may be able to squeeze a third or fourth track in there, depending upon the device and how patient you are.

Steve
Old 1st June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Bad.

Quote:
Nope.

Sorry to be such a party pooper, but it is what it is unfortunately.

As ShadowsOfLife pointed out, you might be able to get two or four tracks but that's it. Go for an iPad if you want multitrack recording. Cubasis can do up to 24 inputs/outputs with a decent/recent iPad.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks! Then I'll not have false expectations
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Check out Audio Evolution Mobile Studio by eXtream Software Development...

I've used their USB Audio Recorder PRO on Android, and for me it is outstanding.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
You can get high-quality two-track recordings on Android devices (with the right mics)

<snip>

Steve
Just curious - what would be required to get this up and running?

I have an LG G7 (USB C connector), which is reasonably powerful and has plenty of storage.

TIA,
Chris
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Just curious - what would be required to get this up and running?

I have an LG G7 (USB C connector), which is reasonably powerful and has plenty of storage.

TIA,
Chris
"Up and running" in what way? Are you talking about standard, stereo recordings? If you are, almost any of the apps on this page (https://play.google.com/store/search...=apps&hl=en_US) will give you a fairly sophisticated two-track recorder. Pair that with a good stereo mic, and you're all set.

Of course, it depends upon what you're trying to record: if you want a great acoustic guitar sound or to record guitar and voice at the same time, you'll almost certainly need condenser mics and an audio interface. If you just want a stereo recording of your band, there are plenty of good mics available, depending upon your budget.

IK Multimedia's apps (such as EZ Voice and the iRig Recorder apps) are pretty good, and there are versions of FL Studio and n-Track Studio for the Android, too. Several apps have free versions, and you'll want to make sure you check out the hardware requirements for the mics before you buy any apps.

Steve

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search