The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
trying to get own tracks onto iPhone X ?- HELP!
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Addict

trying to get own tracks onto iPhone X ?- HELP!

morning

i am trying to get my own tracks actually onto my iphoneX,i have no trouble importing them to iTunes on my mac, but actually getting them across to my iphone is a pita

i have trying syncing both devices but with no luck

your help is much appreciated

thanks
Old 28th April 2019
My solution was to buy an android phone, Galaxy s7, and ditch the iphone altogether. I ditched the iphone for that very reason and would never consider going back. Now I just upload tracks in drop box or google drive and then just download them onto the phone. Or you can drag and drop if you plug the phone to your computer.

I tunes is point blank the worst software I've ever used and the fact that there is no simple way to simply add a song ( or any document) to the phone is absurd. Back when I made the switch I had to sync the phone every time I wanted to add a single song and it basically never worked for my own tunes.

One work around for you would be to use drop box and just stream the songs from the drop box app istelf, which I think the iphone allows you to do. That was a pain too though.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

Should work no problem just with iTunes.

The first option is to sync complete local library to a phone. I personally don't like to use that, because my library is way bigger than what will fit to the phone. And also I don't need to have every song there.

The other option is to defeat automatic sync of connected devices (that's at iTunes preferences) and use drag'n'drop of selected files from local iTunes library to sidebar, where is showed your connected phone. If your songs aren't in library, you can simply drag files from Finder directly there, thus bypassing iTunes library.
Of course, such external files has to be in playable format for the phone (AAC, MP3, ALAC..) and properly tagged (eg. Artist, Album, Trackname, Track etc.), because otherwise you'd have hard time to find it at phone.

Pics here:
http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/26/copy-...tunes-library/
(maybe your iTunes version will look bit differently, but basically it's always the same).
Phone can be connected via USB Lightning cable (always work) or via WiFi (needs to be enabled).

That worked for me at iPods, iPhones, iPads for decades.. basically no problem with that. Just beware, there is lot of "guides" for syncing at vendors of some 3rd party apps, where they basically instruct you to buy their awesome conversion or syncing app (no real need for that and I don't really recommend anything like that).

Michal
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

Just to add another option, where is possible to have untagged files in all formats and create own folder structure for that.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/foobar2...072807669?mt=8
There is great audio player for iOS, which is called foobar2000 (they have also super powerful windows player with the same name or Android player app).
You can download it for free at AppStore and use it instead of built-in iOS Music player.
The app has own storage space for files, you can enable its built-in FTP server and connect there from any FTP client (for Mac i'd use likely FileZilla or CyberDuck).
After you enable the server, you can connect there via WiFi (the app will show you IP address, port, user etc.) and save it as preset to FTP client (for quick connect next time) and normally create folders and upload any music file you want.

Then if you finish it, you can either browse files by tags or by folder structure.
Nice touch there is, you can also enable quite powerful playback processing, eg. EQ, crossfeed for phones, ReplayGain for loudness normalization, resampling etc.
Your other music, which was already synced to iOS music folder is normally accessible and playable from foobar.

Michal
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Just put them in Dropbox. Or you could always email them to yourself.

I eventually gave up on syncing and/or transferring anything directly to an iPhone ages ago.
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Nut

Amazed to see no-one seems to know what icloud is....
Old 28th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Just to add another option, where is possible to have untagged files in all formats and create own folder structure for that.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/foobar2...072807669?mt=8
There is great audio player for iOS, which is called foobar2000 (they have also super powerful windows player with the same name or Android player app).
You can download it for free at AppStore and use it instead of built-in iOS Music player.
The app has own storage space for files, you can enable its built-in FTP server and connect there from any FTP client (for Mac i'd use likely FileZilla or CyberDuck).
After you enable the server, you can connect there via WiFi (the app will show you IP address, port, user etc.) and save it as preset to FTP client (for quick connect next time) and normally create folders and upload any music file you want.

Then if you finish it, you can either browse files by tags or by folder structure.
Nice touch there is, you can also enable quite powerful playback processing, eg. EQ, crossfeed for phones, ReplayGain for loudness normalization, resampling etc.
Your other music, which was already synced to iOS music folder is normally accessible and playable from foobar.

Michal
Some great advice here - i ll have to check out that player on android.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear
I simply subscribed to Apple Music. When I put my tracks into iTunes they "wander up into the cloud" and are available on all of my devices. Simple.
Old 28th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by facej View Post
I simply subscribed to Apple Music. When I put my tracks into iTunes they "wander up into the cloud" and are available on all of my devices. Simple.
Do you have to stream it each time or can you download offline?
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear
Let me check on my iPhone (it's on the disk on the Mac where it was created...)
They download to my iPhone just fine - with a minor nit.

On my Mac I often have WAV files in iTunes. Those turn into 256k AAC files - not horrible, but not lossless either. Doesn't bother me for doing cross system checks since most folks don't do WAV files on their iOS devices.
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Some great advice here - i ll have to check out that player on android.
Give it a shot. Honestly I haven't tried it on Android, except of recommendation for my buddy, who was looking for some more capable player.

I was experimenting a bit with different 3rd party players for iOS last year. Even purchased some commercial ones. But finally liked foobar2000 the most.
No player is perfect and can please everybody, but my main objective there was FLAC support (Music app at my phone doesn't support it), gapless playback and crossfeed processing for headphones, which I find beneficial, when listening that way.
I have lot of music ripped from CDs or purchased as separate download, which aren't available on Spotify, so it make sense to me.

Quote:
Yep, it makes sense, when you already have a subscription. However it also eats space from your iCloud tarif, which I would rather use to photos etc., especially if I don't want to pay another cloud service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Do you have to stream it each time or can you download offline?
No, it behaves like purchased music from iTunes store, it simply gets listed among your music and there is per track or per album icon for download to device (or you can set Music app to download everything automatically, but that can get quickly out of hands with regards to storage and data tarrif )

Quote:
On my Mac I often have WAV files in iTunes. Those turn into 256k AAC files - not horrible, but not lossless either. Doesn't bother me for doing cross system checks since most folks don't do WAV files on their iOS devices.
If you would simply drag it to connected or associated device (as I've outlined before), it would stay uncompressed.

Generally all those cloud services makes sense to me, when I would like to have those files shared among devices or users (like some preview for approval etc.).
All those services, except of Apple Music with custom tracks, doesn't make uploaded music files accessible from main iOS Music app. Basically every cloud storage app (be it built-in Files, Google Drive, Dropbox etc.) has own internal audio player, which is really rudimentary, compared to dedicated ones. No playlist support with changeable order etc. It's essentially for quick preview for what you have at the particular drive and no serious listening.

So I don't even mentioned that cloud way before. Although I use it time to time for specific uses, but not like a generic way, how to put any audio track to phone.
Other thing there is, it seems to be wasteful for cloud storage and takes much longer than locally over wifi or even USB. Which sometimes really counts, if you have lossless or uncompressed files and it would be necessary to pipe through external server and back.. (possibly with on-the fly AAC encoding and matching against their audio fingerprint database in case of Apple Music)

Michal
Old 12th May 2019
Here for the gear
I use Airdrop for many of my transfers.
That way I also get an option with which app I want to use as destination on the iPhone.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi,
Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to Mac. On iTunes, make sure you are in "Music" library. Then click "File > Add File to Library" and locate your Mac music. Select the songs you wish to sync and press "Open" to add them to iTunes music library.

dafontShowboxAdam4adam

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search