The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New ipad pro 12.9 or keep 2nd gen 10.5
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear
New ipad pro 12.9 or keep 2nd gen 10.5

I had a 12.9 i pad 1st gen pro loved it but got a chance to trade for a macbook. And i just got so good with the workflow on a ipad and garage band I started hating the issues i had the the macbook. Some stability problems.

Well my wife has a 10.5 2nd gen pro ipad she does not use. Should i just roll with it for awhile or is the new pro worth 12.9 gen 3 worth it. Ive never had any performance issues with any ipad pro. im just a singer songwriter i also use them to shoot video and the magnets in the new ones were interesting to me.
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

I upgraded from a 1st gen 9.7 inch pro to a 3rd gen 12.9 recently. The bigger screen was my primary reason, and it is nicer if you use any apps with tiny fonts or interface elements. The benchmarks are faster, but if you’re not hitting performance limits on the 2nd gen, you probably won’t notice much difference with an upgrade. You’ll also have to replace whatever dongles you have with usb-c equivalents, unless you already have them for a MacBook.

The new magnetic pencil is way better than the original, no little pieces to lose. The magnets for the case are fine, but not a must-have reason to upgrade. If you wait a year, there will be a newer faster model. Unless you need the bigger screen, I’d probably wait. If you’re looking for some retail therapy, maybe a nice audio interface or keyboard would scratch the itch?
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
No my audient id 22 and arturia kelab are great. Yeah I think ill wait a couple years maybe it seems like were on the cusp of what the ipads can really do. I truly think this was a market test they ran the price right up next to a 13 inch MacBook. If the gen 3 does good i think its gonna hopefully push us closer to a touch laptop
Old 28th April 2019
Lives for gear

New iOS is going to be game changer for iPad Pro ... although not entirely sure what advances it will bring to music platform other than more users ...

Just acquired 12.9" 3rd gen with MOTU Ultralite AVB ... Effectively replacing my mac and couldn't be happier ...
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
New iOS is going to be game changer for iPad Pro ... although not entirely sure what advances it will bring to music platform other than more users ...

Just acquired 12.9" 3rd gen with MOTU Ultralite AVB ... Effectively replacing my mac and couldn't be happier ...

Yeah thats a big time set up you running the avb usb or through a dongle or what. When is the new iOS support to drop thats
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

The Ultralite connects through WiFi (or direct Ethernet ... even from a Mac) to an app built into the MOTU iteself ... so you can control the mixer with literally any browser or, in my case, using the AVB Discovery App on my iPad ... In practice, it works extremely well and basically future proofs the mixer controls for probably much longer than necessary ...

Surprisingly, the App works well even on a phone. The thing I like about the Ultralite is that once I found the settings/levels I liked, the settings never reset and I really don't have to futz around with it at all, although the mixer app is especially pretty to look at on iPad Pro 12.9" ...

For sending audio channels, MOTU connects via USB to an Apple multimedia USB-C dongle that also allows for power for the iPad and a video output ... Again, not cumbersome at all ... Connecting and removing the iPad from my studio setup is a trivial affair and I never have to spend any time re-configuring anything once I plug it in ...

The new iOS 13 beta is going to be dropping in a month or so ... And the official release is due in the fall ... This is going to be a huge one for iOS because many of the big features were held back from iOS 12, which focused on stability and performance improvements (esp. for older devices like my iPhone 6 plus, which is now an extra gadget that I use for recording etc.)

Personally, I would stick with what you have for now and see how it goes ... The iPad Pro line is barely expected to change for 2019/2020 (some AR improvements but that's it apparently) ... The biggest change down the road will be the move to a standard 6 GB of RAM but that isn't expected for the 19/20 models.

However, if you're antsy to get your hands on the super sexy 12.9" there are finally some better deals (most deals so far have been on 11") ... I have zero regrets about ditching my i7 Mac Mini (but I do need to do something with it lol) ...
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear
yeah i hear ya. that avb looks way nice i was a longtime motu user. my wife is taking over the i5macbook i have sitting around it's easier for here to watch movies on. but for a musician i think the ipad is much more intuitive i dont have to set my pick and guitar down to do alot i would of on a computer it's thought process is alot more subconcious so you don't have to switch from that right brain left brain thing.

hell im pretty sure only one side of mine works any way and idk which is which
Old 29th April 2019
Lives for gear

It's so much more intuitive to just reach out and hit the play or record button instead on grabbing a mouse, focusing on it, finding the icon, connecting hopefully and then return to your guitar ... It's only going to get better as tablets get bigger or some kind of auxilliary touchscreen support is added .... It's only been a little while but interacting with Auria Pro or Cubasis 2 sucessfully almost becomes part of the performance because it's much quicker and fluid than using a PC as well as being much more able to be front and center as well as take up a much smaller footprint and complexity ...
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear
yeah im gonna hold off a year or two or atleast until the new ios you speak off and the next gen pro drops.. but we are on the cusp of great things. i can make vids do business make music and its so much more fun on one device.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search