The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If only I could start again - iPad Pro 2018 the way forward Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

If only I could start again - iPad Pro 2018 the way forward

Do you have an iPad Pro as your centrepiece, thoughts?

I’ve been reshuffling my studio this year to go more live by adding hardware instruments that are pretty instantaneous (DFAM/Model:Samples) so I can 1. Produce tracks more quickly and effortlessly 2. Trigger songs and loops (the foundation of my live set), whilst layering percussion elements and my own songs on the fly - basically a hybrid setup (It’s where DJ’s are heading these days to be more creative and less of a glorified track selecting merchant).

Anyway, I’ve done some extended research because I required more inputs since I wanted to add more instruments - and whilst I found a solution (Elektron Octatrack) - the more I understand routing, I left myself wondering, like, why on earth did I spend so much on a laptop, DAW and Audio Interface? I mean, I could’ve spent that money on a recent iPad Pro, preferably an Apogee Quartet (any other suggestions are welcome with similar I/O), plus the things I want/need that’s currently on my wish list that I know could elevate my music as whole, performance or otherwise.

So to put this in context, here’s a little info on my current setup: I have an Apollo x8 and a Model 1 mixer; my Apollo has 8 outputs which doesn’t allow me to take full advantage of the 6 channels my Model 1 offers - and here’s where Ableton fits into the picture: I use Ableton to send clock to my H9 Max, Model:Samples and Mother 32, and these are all routed back into Ableton bar the H9 Max. My mother 32 receives clock and distributes that clock between two DFAM’s. I have one Xone K2 which controls Traktor (3 tracks) and the 2nd K2 controls volume on 4 channels within Ableton, which is then distributed between 2 channels (3 & 4) on my Model 1. I do however alternate, or layer between instrument and track on channel 3. Now, I can buy an Apollo x6 to expand I/O via Thunderbolt but obviously this will be expensive, and for gigging purposes, lugging two Apollo interfaces can be quite cumbersome. This in turn gave me the idea to sell my Model:Samples and buy myself an Octatrack for extra added I/O, allowing me to bypass my Audio Interface and route directly to my Model 1 via D-Sub on channels 5 & 6. I’ll route my DFAM’s and Mother 32 through the Octatrack by using outputs C+D and the Octatrack itself will be using outputs A+B. And the pluses, I get a sampler, looper and effects as a bonus (yay!).

Here’s my thinking (point if you will) - I’m fast becoming somewhat savvy with external hardware and less impressed with the idea of working inside the box. I also want a mobile device that I can take with me, wherever I am, albeit in bed, the couch or on the toilet (haha so unsanitary) - so this way I can get down with the editing and mixing process without procrastinating too much (really really guilty of doing this). So to that end, all I need really is a device I can record and arrange music in, and I may as well sell the following gear to fund my potential dream hybrid setup - what do you think?

Out (sales)
Apollo x8
2x Xone K2’s
MacBook Pro (mid-2017)
Ableton
Ableton Push 2
Model:Samples
Bitwig

Potential return £5150.00

IN
Octatrack MKII
iPad Pro 2018 (free upgrade)
Apogee Quartet (up for debate)
Erica Synths Techno System
Elektron Heat MKII
NI’s Kontrol S2 or Kontrol Z1 (need to look into the Z1 more) - for the up and coming Traktor DJ 2

Cost EXC. Potential return £1726.00

Wish list

Endorpin.es Shuttle System (black)
Mod Duo X (still to be released)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hard to take all that in but essentially you're going from easy (Ableton & laptop) to frustrating (ipad & elektron.)

I strongly suggest hanging onto your laptop while getting to know this new proposed setup. Editing & mixing on an iPad is probably not the best idea.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Hard to take all that in but essentially you're going from easy (Ableton & laptop) to frustrating (ipad & elektron.)

I strongly suggest hanging onto your laptop while getting to know this new proposed setup. Editing & mixing on an iPad is probably not the best idea.
Maybe I could have gotten straight to the point a lot sooner ha-ha. Ah yes, I won’t be jumping in without a trial first. As mentioned above I’ve got a free upgrade so I’ll be testing out BM3, Bloc Waves and Launchpad. I’ve seen some really interesting ideas and uses from the combination of all 3 apps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search