The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An "Alexa" assistant engineer Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Addict

An "Alexa" assistant engineer

I've been thinking lately about the implications of home assistant technology, such as Alexa, being connected to a computer and doing voice operated tasks within DAWs and related programs like Reverb 4000/6000, Flock Audio's Digitally Controlled Patchbay, Pluto Plate's Remote Control.

Direct voice command over a DAW via Voice Recognition, in my opinion, would save more time than it is possible to even imagine. Something that would take at least 20 seconds to a minute -- creating a track, naming it, adding plugins to it, assigning Ins/Outs/Groups, adjusting volume, pan and plugin settings. If all of those tasks could be handled by voice recognition command software we would be free to focus on mixing.

If I'm not mistaken, if such a computer assistant were created, it could hypothetically control anything on the computer. This would thus, to a certain extend, eliminate the need for a control surface protocol. A studio assistant in conjunction with a HUI/Eucon control surface would no doubt be the best of both worlds.

Also, as more companies make gear that is digitally controlled analog... the implications are extreme. Theoretically, a system could be remotely controlled with the mix being streamed to another place -- like your house, or car? Could we eventually be working on mixes while we drive around? Will AI software scan our tracks and chop/crossfade things it learns from seeing us perform? Will it gain stage our plugins to maximize the sonics of the signal?

Call me overly optimistic about the evolution of technology (or just crazy), but I think it's wild to think about what could be coming down the pike.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search