The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubasis users, sell me on it
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Cubasis users, sell me on it

I have been using my iPad more these days for playing with GarageBand late at night and was looking at the Cubasis LE demo. It looks cool but is it worth it? I’ve never paid for an app in my life but it looks like a fully fledged DAW, passing the limitations of GB.

How are the instruments and plugins that come with it? I don’t use Cubase at home so I wouldn’t be transferring stuff. Mostly looking at it as a pacifier for when I travel, etc.

Thoughts? Experiences? I’d be mostly doing chill electronica like Tycho or Com Truise. No audio recording or very little so no interface needed.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

I'm not a fan personally but I think it's on sale so now would be the time to grab it.

It has very low resolution midi (48PPQN.)
The instruments are ok not great
It still has a fair few outstanding bugs

There are some good things about it and a few less limitations than GB.

I think GB is the best iPad DAW simply because of how easy it is to use. I'd go with Auria if you require more professional features GB is missing.
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

If you need good Midi capabilities look elsewhere! Cubasis seems to me like a good idea poorly implemented. And their support is mediocre (they always blame others at first...).
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Great info, thanks!
Old 4th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi_mak View Post
If you need good Midi capabilities look elsewhere! Cubasis seems to me like a good idea poorly implemented. And their support is mediocre (they always blame others at first...).
just to get that straight: Cubasis is quite good but i almost always find a real gottcha when things get going...
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

It's my favorite iOS DAW (Beatmaker 3 would be if it didn't crash so much.)

Tried/own:
Cubasis
GB
BM3
Nanostudio 2
Stagelight
Gadget (if you count that as a DAW. I don't.)
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Auria looks great, pricey though! I'm thinking Cubasis at $35 or so might make a decent 'toy' for me to mess around on when I'm away from my studio.

But to spend money on anything that's not 'right', especially considering how long I'll be able to enjoy it for. I've found iPads only last about 4-5 years before the updates out-date them and apps need a newer iOS to run on. I guess it's still not bad for the $.
Old 5th April 2019
Lives for gear

Am just moving from GB (which I like) to Cubasis 2 (on the current sale price), and this is mainly due to wanting to integrate external synths.

Lot to like with Cubasis, and it didn't take long to learn the workflow. Happy so far.

One thing that does puzzle me (I have some RTFMing ahead) is that with any external MIDI track, the track's slider in the Mixer does not default to sending out the Volume CC to control the external MIDI device's channel. Seems a very basic requirement and should be trivial to implement. I presume the same is true for Pan/Balance. I think there are ways around it, but that seems to use Automation (seems cackhanded!)
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Nut

For $25 I figured what the hell and picked it up.

I don’t have BM3 yet but I’ll probably get it as well when it goes on sale.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

I bought it and Auria Pro ... Started off using Auria Pro more but I actually like the workflow and results of Cubasis better ... Just not in love with the look of it ... But for the most part, at least as far as I've gotten with it, I like everything else ...
Old 7th May 2019
Gear Addict

Love Cubasis overall, nice workflow but of course room for improvement. I use it with an ipad pro and an audio interface. I think it could benefit from an additional session view mode ableton has.
Controlling instruments via midi works fine, but a midi-learn option inside Cubasis would be very welcome. I have a keyboard with tons of buttons and rotary controllers that would work wonders in Cubasis if it had midi-learn. In terms of EQ the plugins are great, although I would welcome a real-time analyzer (there are 3rd party apps that work for that though, but would prefer something inhouse from Steinberg here.

The synth in Cubasis (micrologue) is really, really nice. Can get a nice, fat sound. The drumkit plugins are nice too. So are the effects. The other instruments are more than decent / usable but quite ordinary. Obviously there are plenty of other synth-apps that you can use in Cubasis as well.
Old 30th September 2019
Lives for gear

Well I finally picked up Cubasis since it is back on sale and so far it's been great for toying around with ideas. Will definitely be fun for when I'm away from home and want to noodle around with some tracks. I've been playing with GarageBand for a while and it's fun but a bit too limited for me. Also, I get stuck with it "Optimizing Performance" too often on my old ipad.
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Cubasis is great for getting ideas out and it’s pretty stable for me. Much more so than BeatMaker 3. I dont like that it doesn’t have a proper sampler/drum sampler. I like that you can freeze tracks and bounce them to audio quickly. It’s an attractive daw, compared to all the rest. I don’t like that you cannot choose a percentage on quantize, but you cannot do that in BM3 either. BM3 has a sampler but those morons made it so that you can’t hear the sample you’re recording while you are recording it.

I like the effects in Cubasis. If you buy the expansions, you get quite a lot. It has the Waves stuff too. It’s a nice linear daw that’s easy to use and I made a ton of songs in it. The mixer is nice as well. BM3 has **** effects and a ******** sampler, and no bounce to audio... but it has a nice drum machine / sampler, minus the audio part.

I would say Cubasis is the most fun daw on iPad while beatmaker 3 is the most professional but frustratingly limited in some ways. If beatmaker 3 had cubasis’ effect packages it would be much better.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Really getting into recording with Cubasis 2.

Pretty much mastered my workflow for recording tracks. The "one screen" setup is much better in that regard than Auria Pro.

The most pleasant surprise is how Cubasis records audio and how it sounds when playing back. For almost the first time *ever* it almost sounds exactly like when I'm playing it real time. Whether on my Mac or with Auria Pro, it seems like there's always a difference in volume (quite a bit on Auria Pro) or that it looses mojo in the process.

When I record my external instruments, it just sounds right on Cubasis. That alone makes it a keeper for me.

Another thing I like about Cubasis vs. Auria Pro is that when I go back to a project, it's EXACTLY how I left, with the most important thing being the tracks staying REC enabled and routed to the right track. For some reason, Auria doesn't like to preserve the REC status and very often reverts to input 1 on all tracks (I record with 10 simultaneous). Real buzzkill when I want to record something RIGHT AWAY ...

Things I'd like to see come to Cubasis are busses but possibly even more important to me is a tempo track.

One of the huge reasons I abandoned Auria as a first-stage recording DAW is its inability to draw automation curves while the audio is playing. If you're working with a lot of edits (which i do) this is just absolutely essential, and drawing it with the pencil is intuitive and works just about perfectly ...

Last edited by Diametro; 4 days ago at 11:40 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

It's great to see people using Cubasis to it's full capabilities.
I'm not using an interface and only playing with MIDI but with a new Ipad and good interface there's nothing stopping someone from using this as a fully fledged main DAW.

If I didn't have a full studio at this point in life I might consider going iPad only!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search