The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
best dock or midi/audio interface for 2018 ipad?
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Nut

best dock or midi/audio interface for 2018 ipad?

Hi all, I'm new to the iOS game with a 2018 ipad 128GB and have some questions.

I have seen docks for older ipads, I was wondering if there were any dock options for the model I got?

Or am I better off just getting the camera adapter, USB hub, and midi/audio interface? Any recommended interfaces that play well with iOS?

Is the apple brand USB adapter the one to get? What is the USB C port used for? Power only?

If I get a USB hub does it need to be self-powered?

I was also considering getting the apple pencil. Do you guys use one?

TIA.

So far I have Gadget 2 and it is awesome. I'll probably pick up beatmaker 3 next for its sampling capability, and Nave since I miss my blofeld I sold.
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Nut

Wow. So there’s no dock available any more? Or what?

I picked up the usb-c camera adapter. Next I need a powered hub to plug in a few devices.
Old 7th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Flynn i got my Ipad pro last year (just before the new model came out) and i got the Focusrite itrack dock,it is excellent would deffo recommend it,sounds ace.
Old 9th April 2019
Gear Addict

On my 2017 iPad I first bought the non powered adapter : it failed to feed my Audient iD14 (the card itself needs anyway to be powered by its wallwart). So I had to find the powered adapter (USB + power) to run fine. I'm sure there are better options, like the RME Babyface Pro which can handle both audio and midi by itself.
Old 10th April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
On my 2017 iPad I first bought the non powered adapter : it failed to feed my Audient iD14 (the card itself needs anyway to be powered by its wallwart). So I had to find the powered adapter (USB + power) to run fine. I'm sure there are better options, like the RME Babyface Pro which can handle both audio and midi by itself.
holy ****balls, that thing costs 3x what I paid for the ipad!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Any class compliant USB audio interface will do. You probably want one with DIN MIDI i/o as well? Plenty to choose from.

Then just buy a USB-C to USB-A cable, no dongles required

Stay away from "iPad" specific products, general purpose audio interfaces are the way to go IMO. Using SPL Crimson with mine.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Addict

Isn't there an issue with using Apogee ONE for iPad now that the new iPad Pros don't have lightning connectors? Is Apogee working on a new interface for USB-C Apple devices now?
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
Isn't there an issue with using Apogee ONE for iPad now that the new iPad Pros don't have lightning connectors? Is Apogee working on a new interface for USB-C Apple devices now?
You can buy a product they call Apogee ONE + ONE. It comes with a USB-C cable and works with the new iPad Pros with the caveat that the app isnt compatible yet. This means you cant control +48V phantom etc settings, but otherwise it works. I'd wait until Apogee sorts the app out if I were you.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Addict

So they have to update the app. That's not too much of a concern because Apogee tend to get on top of things. I guess the devs will be hammering out some new features since USB-C is much better than the older lightning cable since it is more universal and you can draw more power from USB-C provided the iPad Pro supplies that much power and it should provide up to ~15w of power per connected device up to ~60w total. Is this true?
Old 21st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
So they have to update the app. That's not too much of a concern because Apogee tend to get on top of things. I guess the devs will be hammering out some new features since USB-C is much better than the older lightning cable since it is more universal and you can draw more power from USB-C provided the iPad Pro supplies that much power and it should provide up to ~15w of power per connected device up to ~60w total. Is this true?
Apogee did say that the ONE works with the USB-C cable without needing a power supply. Not sure how much watts can actually be pulled from the iPad Pro in total though, but enough for the ONE at least.

I've connected a keystep, modal skulpt and a NI traktor audio card (power supply connected) to my iPad Pro all at once, without connecting the iPad to a charging port, and everything worked, but battery drain was significant.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Addict

I was told that it was 60 watts but that could be wrong. I am not sure where you can get the power specs for the iPad Pro but maybe someone could chime in and provide accurate details.

If you can run two MIDI devices from the one port it should be able to handle one MIDI controller and one pair of Audeze Mobius (these are fantastic headphones that really sound like speakers).

It should certainly handle the Apogee ONE for iOS.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

My understanding is that 60W is the maximum provided by USB-C. I doubt the iPad Pro can deliver this much.. maybe desktop or a a laptop with a bigger battery can, but iPad? hmm
Old 10th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydoras View Post
Hey Flynn i got my Ipad pro last year (just before the new model came out) and i got the Focusrite itrack dock,it is excellent would deffo recommend it,sounds ace.
I got an iPad Pro last year as well.

The iTrack looked promising but alas they have discontinued it! There isn't much info out there as to why that happened so I'm reluctant to purchase a used one.

As far as other pro-ish docks, it sounds like the Apogee is not quite ready for prime time and Alesis gets a lot of mixed reviews.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind using a combination of products but somehow I would need MIDI, digital I/O, and at least 4 tracks of analog I/O. Most importantly, the iPad needs to charge while all this is happening and not give me any crap. I think this is the reason why people gravitate towards "iPad" specific products -- it's the curse of trying to play in the IOS universe but not wanting to be exclusive to it.

Things I have:
RME Babyface (not the new Pro sadly)
KMI MIDI Expander (for QuNeo)
Peachtree X1 USB to SPDIF Converter
Class compliant powered USB Hub
Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

Now I think I could get any one of these to play nice with the iPad -- maybe. But all of them together? I seriously doubt it (I've tried to some extent). But if there's some widget that will allow them to play nice, I'd be happy to look into it.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisl View Post
I got an iPad Pro last year as well.

The iTrack looked promising but alas they have discontinued it! There isn't much info out there as to why that happened so I'm reluctant to purchase a used one.

As far as other pro-ish docks, it sounds like the Apogee is not quite ready for prime time and Alesis gets a lot of mixed reviews.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind using a combination of products but somehow I would need MIDI, digital I/O, and at least 4 tracks of analog I/O. Most importantly, the iPad needs to charge while all this is happening and not give me any crap. I think this is the reason why people gravitate towards "iPad" specific products -- it's the curse of trying to play in the IOS universe but not wanting to be exclusive to it.

Things I have:
RME Babyface (not the new Pro sadly)
KMI MIDI Expander (for QuNeo)
Peachtree X1 USB to SPDIF Converter
Class compliant powered USB Hub
Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

Now I think I could get any one of these to play nice with the iPad -- maybe. But all of them together? I seriously doubt it (I've tried to some extent). But if there's some widget that will allow them to play nice, I'd be happy to look into it.

I've come to the conclusion that these docks are just not popular for some reason, so I ended up getting the camera connection kit that can charge while in use. This guy has a good video about the setup I am going with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RGWQTKz7c
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn78 View Post
I've come to the conclusion that these docks are just not popular for some reason, so I ended up getting the camera connection kit that can charge while in use. This guy has a good video about the setup I am going with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8RGWQTKz7c
I’ve just got myself a PreSonus Studio 1824c UsB-C Midi & Audio Interface for my 2018 iPad Pro and it’s amazing. They have different versions depending on your price point and I/O needs. Oh and it charges the iPad too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search