The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer U-Phoria or Zoom IR44? Mobile Apps
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Behringer U-Phoria or Zoom IR44?

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a cheap audio interface to use with my iPad and Cubasis 2.0. Ideally I’d like 4 x I/O and midi I/O.
I’ve been having a very quick look around and the Behringer UMC404HD and Zoom IR44 look like potential options.

Has anyone used one of these and could you comment on the audio quality and performance when using with iOS?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a cheap audio interface to use with my iPad and Cubasis 2.0. Ideally I’d like 4 x I/O and midi I/O.
I’ve been having a very quick look around and the Behringer UMC404HD and Zoom IR44 look like potential options.

Has anyone used one of these and could you comment on the audio quality and performance when using with iOS?
Got both, use both with ipad (cubasis). Uphoria is bit more capable soundwise, you can use 4ins without extension unit, bit easier to use, more pad, hi z buttons, effect inserts, outs, sturdier. Its an excellent piece. Probably most value ai in terms of high quality value for price

Zoomu44 has 4ins but only 2 on board, plus 2 with small 70 dollars expansion unit. Bit lower samperate (but we are still talking 92k!). It’s much lighter in weight, it can run on 2 aa batteries which I love and is really really practical! No hassle with powerbanks (i have a bunch of rechargable ones and a 3 sets of 2 aas is a working day of power). for what it’s worth, i think the zoom looks a bit ugly compared to uphoria which looks and feels nice. Uphoria can still be a portable piece but with external battery feeding lightning camera kit (with a very small 2 port unpowered usb hub in between to somehow circumvent some power check big in ios). For on the go the zoom is a clear winner. A home the uphoria is but the zoom is still perfectly usable

Both have good sound and very (!) low latency (2 ms to 4 ms full round)

Ipad pro 2017
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I'll second Disco's thoughts, although I've never used the Zoom. Do you mean the U44? I think if you need real portability the Zoom is your answer. Otherwise the Behringer unit wins pretty easily.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I would like all 4 pres to have 48v and after doing some reading I've found that the addon EXH-6 preamps for the Zoom U44 don't have 48v phantom power. As a result the Behringer UMC-44hd will be best for my uses. My only concern about the Behringer UMC interfaces is they reportedly have low output compared to other interfaces?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi guys. The UMC404hd arrived earlier today. However, I’ve got it plugged into the mains and have then into my iPad mini 2 and get the following message :-

“UMC404HD 192k. This accessory require to much power”

I am using this camera kit adapter

Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - Apple (UK)

Should the UMC404HD work with this or do I need to have my iPad plugged into the mains as well? If I do need it plugged into the mains would this be the correct adapter :-

Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple (UK)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

only battery or power supply powered interfaces work with ios-devices. the new camera-kit doesnˋt change this. it only allows the ipad to be loaded while a usb-device is used. your interface needs to be powered prior to connecting it to the ipad.
on edit: sorry i ignored that you wrote that the interface is powered by a supply!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I tried this using the Apple USB2 Camera Kit adapter and I kept getting the “not enough power” message. It turns out I needed to use the USB3 Apple Camera Kit as you need to have BOTH the interface and iPad plugged into the mains.
Since changing to the USB3 camera kit everything is working perfectly
So far I’m really impressed with the
UMC404HD. Both the build quality and audio quality have exceeded my expectations

Last edited by dickiefunk; 1 week ago at 11:54 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I used the UMC 404hd today on a small location classical session. I have to say I’m even more impressed! I had three Audio Technica AT4040’s set up for Flute, Clarinet and piano. It was very quick and easy to be up and running and the recording was very clean and detailed. At £84 this interface is a real bargain
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

That's great to hear. They really nailed it with this unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search