The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KORG Gadget 2 is now available (iOS)
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Addict

KORG Gadget 2 is now available (iOS)

Other than some visual polish, one of the big things is that Gadget can now send MIDI externally (it can't record audio from external sources, though), be it as virtual MIDI within the iOS device (e.g., to use in AB3 or AUM, etc.) or over the network (e.g., control your hardware synth). Other KORG apps are being updated as well, and i THINK they're on sale though it hasn't yet been announced.

Gadget 2 for Mac is a $99 upgrade. Also the individual KORG gadgets will be available for Windows (not Gadget 2 itself).
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Other than some visual polish, one of the big things is that Gadget can now send MIDI externally (it can't record audio from external sources, though)
Im sure you could use the Zurich gadget to record your audio back in?
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Nut

I've thought about getting Gadget. I mainly a DAW guy and would just like some good virtual instrument options to use in GarageBand, Cubasis, or whatever. Is Gadget good for that kind of use? Reading up on it seems kind of clunky. But I may be misunderstanding how it works.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I don’t think you can use the “gadgets” outside of Gadget on the iOS platform.

I think v2 allows you to use other iOS synths via the new midi gadget.

But you can use the gadgets in your DAW on macOS version.

I mainly use the iOS version to come up with ideas, do a bit more work to them on the desktop version, then export (Audio tracks) to Cubase for arrangement, more/other parts, and mixing.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Nut

I stopped having home computers a few years ago, so I'm all iOS now. I should have clarified. It seems like Gadget may not play as easily with iOS Cubasis or iOS GarageBand. But I don't know because I haven't used it. Right now I may stick with things like ThumbJam and what comes natively with iOS DAWs. But since Korg just released the new update I thought I might take advantage of any sales that might be happening.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

I updated to version 2, but nothing is changed... Anyone else experience that?
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
The free midi gadget is cool. And the new pattern generator in the drum gadgets is excellent.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazlermac View Post
I don’t think you can use the “gadgets” outside of Gadget on the iOS platform.
It depends upon what you mean. You can pretty easily route MIDI IN to Gadget, and just direct to the track/Gadget of your choice.

Quote:
I think v2 allows you to use other iOS synths via the new midi gadget.
I just tested this. You can route MIDI OUT to other iOS synths running in the background, or route to external hardware if you have a suitable interface.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo View Post
I got it sorted. The update appeared once more, and after running it, it works. Can't wait to try it out this weekend :D
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It depends upon what you mean. You can pretty easily route MIDI IN to Gadget, and just direct to the track/Gadget of your choice.

I just tested this. You can route MIDI OUT to other iOS synths running in the background, or route to external hardware if you have a suitable interface.
Yeah good point on sending midi into the app itself.

I tested the midi out to other software synths on my iPad, but I couldn’t figure out how to bring the audio back into “Gadget” so that I could render/store it with the project - via software Routing.

Any ideas?
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah good point on sending midi into the app itself.

I tested the midi out to other software synths on my iPad, but I couldn’t figure out how to bring the audio back into “Gadget” so that I could render/store it with the project - via software Routing.

Any ideas?
No Clue so far. This is a real problem with iOS based projects. If everyone would simply support a common plug-in format (AUv3 ?), it would certainly simplify matters considerably.
Old 1st March 2019
Quote:
Im sure you could use the Zurich gadget to record your audio back in?
I track external audio into Gadget all the time.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I track external audio into Gadget all the time.
Pretty sure you can't use Taipei to play a synth in AUM and record it into Gadget at the same time. Yes, you can do it in several steps.
Old 4th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Pretty sure you can't use Taipei to play a synth in AUM and record it into Gadget at the same time. Yes, you can do it in several steps.
I used to use Zurich. I tried Durban for the 1st time yesterday with great success.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone who both used cubasis and gadget extensively? Can you export gadget projects like cubasis? I like cubasis (also had midi out), also combined with audiobus, midiflow tools and a whole bunch of synth apps. Willing to test new stuff but interested in comparison experiences of others
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
Anyone who both used cubasis and gadget extensively? Can you export gadget projects like cubasis? I like cubasis (also had midi out), also combined with audiobus, midiflow tools and a whole bunch of synth apps. Willing to test new stuff but interested in comparison experiences of others
I used Gadget and “Cubase “ all the time - very new to Cubasis.
Gadget allows you to export wav files for each track, I just import them into Cubase for arranging and mixing.

It also has an export standard midi file option too.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
Anyone who both used cubasis and gadget extensively? ... Willing to test new stuff but interested in comparison experiences of others
I use both, and they both work great. Gadget can be pretty easily set up as a "sound module" for Cubasis, if you prefer its style of sequencing over that of Gadget.

Now that the Taipei gadget can control external hardware synthesizers, it's almost a "mini-Ableton" in terms of being a clip-launching pattern sequencer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search