The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad Pro as a Sampler? Audio Interfaces
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

iPad Pro as a Sampler?

Hi Guys,

I know that there are plenty of apps that will allow me to edit and mangle audio on the iPad, and even play it back like an MPC or Sampler, but I’m getting an iPad Pro at the weekend and I’m trying to work out what the best way to get audio into it is.

In an idea world, I guess I just want somethign that I can plug into it that has a headphone out and a mini jack line in. Think Pocket Operator Sampler type thing.

I already have a ‘proper’ studio so just see the iPad as something to mess with whilst travelling and so on.

The problem I have is that Bluetooth keyboard, audio interfaces and so on, just become another ‘thing’ to carry about that I inevitably end up getting annoyed with and not bothering with.

Ultimately, I’m not going to carry a proper audio interface around with me on the off chance that I want to sample something, so is there something super compact and basic (Bluetooth even) that fits the bill?

As a supplemental question, is there a way of recording audio from YouTube internally? That would be super cool I think...
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrous View Post
Hi Guys,

I know that there are plenty of apps that will allow me to edit and mangle audio on the iPad, and even play it back like an MPC or Sampler, but I’m getting an iPad Pro at the weekend and I’m trying to work out what the best way to get audio into it is.

In an idea world, I guess I just want somethign that I can plug into it that has a headphone out and a mini jack line in. Think Pocket Operator Sampler type thing.

I already have a ‘proper’ studio so just see the iPad as something to mess with whilst travelling and so on.

The problem I have is that Bluetooth keyboard, audio interfaces and so on, just become another ‘thing’ to carry about that I inevitably end up getting annoyed with and not bothering with.

Ultimately, I’m not going to carry a proper audio interface around with me on the off chance that I want to sample something, so is there something super compact and basic (Bluetooth even) that fits the bill?

As a supplemental question, is there a way of recording audio from YouTube internally? That would be super cool I think...
Getting audio in you really have no choice but to use an interface.

That said I sample things with the built in mic all the time. Recording youtube you just rip the audio like on a computer using the many sites that do that.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post

That said I sample things with the built in mic all the time. Recording youtube you just rip the audio like on a computer using the many sites that do that.

I had it in my head that Apple had somehow blocked that Functionality?

Good shout on the internal mic, probably good for location stuff...

Is there a recommend favourite ‘basic interface to give you a line in’?

Thanks for the help!
Old 1st February 2019
Quote:

This. Exactly.
Old 1st February 2019
Quote:
I had it in my head that Apple had somehow blocked that Functionality?

Good shout on the internal mic, probably good for location stuff...

Is there a recommend favourite ‘basic interface to give you a line in’?

Thanks for the help!
I use the Audioshare app when using the built in mic. It what i use to organize all my samples. It's easy to move them around.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Maniac

Goodreader allows direct link downloads.
You will need the powered usb adapter in order to hook it up to anything interesting.
IK Media's original barrel-type Irig works for TS in and run under ten bucks. S/N isn't great, but it's a small and passive.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrage View Post
Goodreader allows direct link downloads.
You will need the powered usb adapter in order to hook it up to anything interesting.
IK Media's original barrel-type Irig works for TS in and run under ten bucks. S/N isn't great, but it's a small and passive.

Does that fit with the new 3.5mm-Less iPads? I’d seen those but only ones which plug into a headphone socket...
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does that fit with the new 3.5mm-Less iPads? I’d seen those but only ones which plug into a headphone socket...
You'd have to use the adapter as well which would bring the cost up. Headphone socket way = crosstalk.

If you have around 50 bucks spare and don't mind buying used you can take your pick from these class compliant interfaces:

Focusrite Scarlett
Focusrite iTrack
Steinberg UR
Apogee Jam 96k
Behringer Uphoria/UMC
Shure Mvi

With the new iPad Pro's you no longer need to use USB adapters like the CCK.

You could go ultra cheap with the Behringer UCA202/222 but it's worth the little extra to get 24bit recording and built in mic preamps IMO.
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
You'd have to use the adapter as well which would bring the cost up. Headphone socket way = crosstalk.

If you have around 50 bucks spare and don't mind buying used you can take your pick from these class compliant interfaces:

Focusrite Scarlett
Focusrite iTrack
Steinberg UR
Apogee Jam 96k
Behringer Uphoria/UMC
Shure Mvi

You could go ultra cheap with the Behringer UCA202/222 but it's worth the little extra to get 24bit recording and built in mic preamps IMO.

That’s very helpful, thank you! I hadn’t realised the CCK was no longer needed so that’s a bonus.

I’ve got an Akai Bluetooth keyboard for my old iPad so that’s something I don’t need to worry about finding a port for.

Will have a look at the list above - really I just want the smallest, least hassle unit possible as I always feel that by the time you start plugging in loads of peripherals, I might as well just take the MacBook Pro and have the works...
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
why not?
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Guys,

In an idea world, I guess I just want somethign that I can plug into it that has a headphone out and a mini jack line in.

Zoom U-44 |

It can run off two AA internal batteries
No mini jack line in though.

There is also a smaller version U22 (mentioned in the link) which i think has the mini jack input.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrage View Post
why not?
USB-C instead of lightning. Most USB interfaces will directly connect though some might still need external power if their draw exceeds 7.5w.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Maniac

It would seem the CCK is no longer called "CCK"
lol
Old 3rd February 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Tencent Gaming Buddy TutuApp AppValley

GarageBand for iOS (iPad): Play sounds with the Sampler. You can record (or sample) a sound using a microphone, or add an audio file, and then play it back like a melody on the Sampler keyboard. You can save samples to use in other GarageBand songs, and edit them in several ways.
I'd love to use my iPad + MIDI keyboard to play some sampled instruments/classic synths but every time I search for 'iOS sampler' all I seem to find is crappy one-shot FX type 'joke' apps for DJs etc.

The closest I've found have been the iMPC app (more useful for making 'beats' really) and IK's 'SampleTank' for iPad which unfortunately is a lot more bloated than I'd like (with loops and other stuff I don't need). All I want is a selection of polyphonic instruments with the ability to add my own, maybe buy new packs of sounds and do some simple layering/tweaking of envelopes etc...

Does anything like that exist?

Last edited by selma95dallas; 3rd February 2019 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: asking question
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by selma95dallas View Post
GarageBand for iOS (iPad): Play sounds with the Sampler. You can record (or sample) a sound using a microphone, or add an audio file, and then play it back like a melody on the Sampler keyboard. You can save samples to use in other GarageBand songs, and edit them in several ways.
I'd love to use my iPad + MIDI keyboard to play some sampled instruments/classic synths but every time I search for 'iOS sampler' all I seem to find is crappy one-shot FX type 'joke' apps for DJs etc.

The closest I've found have been the iMPC app (more useful for making 'beats' really) and IK's 'SampleTank' for iPad which unfortunately is a lot more bloated than I'd like (with loops and other stuff I don't need). All I want is a selection of polyphonic instruments with the ability to add my own, maybe buy new packs of sounds and do some simple layering/tweaking of envelopes etc...

Does anything like that exist?
Beatmaker 3, its sampler is unrivalled, even vs desktop samplers it competes with the best, go over to their forum, lots of resources and helpful people too.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Beatmaker 3, its sampler is unrivalled, even vs desktop samplers it competes with the best, go over to their forum, lots of resources and helpful people too.
I’ve been tinkering with X-Drummer and GarageBand’s drummer. Does beatnaker have the ability to listen to a riff to automatically create a drum loop? Is its drummer midi editable for moving hits around and such? I’m trying to minimize what all I use and I haven’t looked at beatmaker yet.

Last edited by Almy; 3rd February 2019 at 10:24 PM..
Old 4th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
I’ve been tinkering with X-Drummer and GarageBand’s drummer. Does beatnaker have the ability to listen to a riff to automatically create a drum loop? Is its drummer midi editable for moving hits around and such? I’m trying to minimize what all I use and I haven’t looked at beatmaker yet.
No, there is no automatic drumming from a riff, but the step editor and recording from the pads etc are superb.
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Hey mods, please dont delete posts that have information about wiring in them, that would be awfully spiffing, thank you very much you perfect examples of human kindness !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search