The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
2018 iPad Pros..Anyone buy one yet? Experiences with music software?
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict

So.....am happy to see others sharing my misery. Put off buying an ipad for years but figured now was the time to pull the trigger with all the benchmark tests showing it to be a beast.

Got a 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 512G. Loading up one instance of a synth and adding a reverb plug...glitch city...

Absolutely shocking performance. I am hoping and praying this is software related and likely to be resolved. In 2018, one software instrument + a reverb should not be crapping out a 1k + tablet. If so apple should be ashamed of themselves.

Real question is whether to return or wait it out and hope for the best. Could return it for an older model but not sure ipads are actually up to multi tasking after this experience to be honest. Buyers beware.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Real question is whether to return or wait it out and hope for the best. Could return it for an older model but not sure ipads are actually up to multi tasking after this experience to be honest. Buyers beware.
What you're seeing is not typical. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro and can easily run four synth apps and a controlling sequencer simultaneously without any audio glitching. And while I haven't tried pushing it to its limits, I can run two synths and a sequencer on my iPad Mini 4 with no problems.

This is something specific to the new iPad Pros. I'm reminded of the new MacBook Pros: on initial release it was found that the top-of-the-range i9 was actually slower than the previous generation i7. It turned out this was down to an inappropriate power profile that caused massive thermal throttling; when a MacOS update corrected it the machines performed as they should have done. Hopefully Apple will also find the cause of these audio issues and get a fix out there quickly.

Why they aren't catching things like this before release is another question altogether.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They're definitely up to multi tasking, you're just new to this.

When a new model is released there is problems, this isn't new at all. When I first bought the one I am using now, there were a lot of crashes and graphics problems. I was pretty much confined to Garageband for 3 months.

Even still, when there isn't hardware issues like this, the world of 3rd party apps is hardly what I'd call a stable environment.
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So.....am happy to see others sharing my misery. Put off buying an ipad for years but figured now was the time to pull the trigger with all the benchmark tests showing it to be a beast.

Got a 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi 512G. Loading up one instance of a synth and adding a reverb plug...glitch city...

Absolutely shocking performance. I am hoping and praying this is software related and likely to be resolved. In 2018, one software instrument + a reverb should not be crapping out a 1k + tablet. If so apple should be ashamed of themselves.

I have an iPad mini 2 (lowest end iOS 12 device I believe) and that sounds like worse performance than I get on a device I paid $150 for.
Old 27th November 2018
A quick update: my Support person at Apple responded saying she got my email of the suggestion that @ AlanC3 made and forwarded it to the engineers. Also, the developers of AUM responded and said that they are not only very aware of the issue already, but have been in contact with other music instrument app developers about it to confirm the issue, and that they've all come to the consensus that it's definitely a problem on Apple's end that needs to be fixed ASAP.
Old 27th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
A quick update: my Support person at Apple responded saying she got my email of the suggestion that @ AlanC3 made and forwarded it to the engineers. Also, the developers of AUM responded and said that they are not only very aware of the issue already, but have been in contact with other music instrument app developers about it to confirm the issue, and that they've all come to the consensus that it's definitely a problem on Apple's end that needs to be fixed ASAP.
And one more update... the developer of Layr got back to me with the following:

"I contacted Apple this morning shortly after replying to your email, they have confirmed an issue with this model of iPad and have told me to file an official bug report in order that I may be kept in the loop with what’s going on.

It seems there is an issue in the audio system in iOS affecting this model. Hopefully, they/we can get this sorted asap!! I’ll try to keep you informed.
"

Thankfully it seems all of these devs are on it!
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
"...they have confirmed an issue with this model of iPad and have told me to file an official bug report in order that I may be kept in the loop with what’s going on".
That's a much more positive response. Good! Hopefully they'll find the cause and have a fix for it soon.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

No, it's definitely specific to these new iPad Pros. I've been running multiple synths/daws/effects on various iPads for years with no issues whatsoever.
Old 28th November 2018
UPDATE: The developer of Layr contacted me with this quote from an Apple Engineer -

"This is being actively worked on as a matter of priority, but unfortunately I don’t have a short-term workaround to recommend to you yet. I’m monitoring the progress, and will let you know as soon as I have something useful to tell.

Coincidently I also got a private message from one of the engineers who manages the Core Audio team, and who has been following this. He originally asked if he could have my case number so he can look into it, but before I had the chance to give it to him, he wrote back with -

"After I sent this note, I was able to track it down and it appears that an actionable related issue is with the right team and they are investigating. I will keep monitoring that."

So Apple are on it!
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

A possible work-around would be to set a very large buffer size.

Choose an app that will let you set the buffer size as the first one you run, and select the largest value it offers - say 1024. The latency will be bad if you're trying to play live, but the large buffer will significantly reduce the CPU load so everything might work OK.
Old 4th December 2018
Lives for gear

That wont do anything, I was the one that designed the benchmarking that first found this issue (B3 Discord chat) and we benchmarked at every latency.
Old 9th December 2018
Lives for gear

I haven't tried enough audio apps on my new iPad yet so I can't join in with the above just yet.

I am impressed with the amount of power available from the usb c port though. The old 'the connected device requires too much power message' was always boring to me, even though there were a few different options to work around it (powered usb hub, newer camera connection kit with lightning power passthrough). The new iPad Pro has no such issues. I just completed a test where I used a non-powered usb c->usb 3 hub in conjunction with 4 bus-powered devices at the same time, and there was no shortage of power. The 4 devices were the roli seaboard block, the linnstrument, expressive e touche and the zoom u-24 audio interface. I'm sure this combination will drain the iPads battery fairly quickly but its still very nice to have the option to run all this stuff for a while with no need to plug into mains or use a usb battery pack.
Old 10th December 2018
Lives for gear

As for the software/performance issues, seems like it affects Cubasis too and they have a thread about it, so another place to watch for any news of a fix etc.

[CB-4565] Cubasis iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" 2018 compatibility - www.steinberg.net
Old 11th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
As for the software/performance issues, seems like it affects Cubasis too and they have a thread about it, so another place to watch for any news of a fix etc.

[CB-4565] Cubasis iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" 2018 compatibility - www.steinberg.net
News of a fix is now... the latest 12.1.2 beta that was released today (to developers) fixes the issue. As soon as it is officially released, we'll all have happy healthy new iPad Pros!
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
News of a fix is now... the latest 12.1.2 beta that was released today (to developers) fixes the issue. As soon as it is officially released, we'll all have happy healthy new iPad Pros!
Cheers for the info! I have a developer account so we will see whether I manage to wait until its officially released, or more likely end up installing that beta tomorrow.
Old 28th December 2018
Gear Addict

Was thinking about buying a 10.5" pro, so answer of issues being resolved are important. The 9.7 or the mini are a better physical size for me, but if the 10.5" runs better than why not.

For the people having issues running apps on the pro, is the solution as simple as the apps available for use on ipad are meant to run on a simpler machine and the pros are more like running a simple app on a high performance laptop which was never intended use of the ipad apps?
Old 30th December 2018
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if this is fixed? I have pro 9.7 in shop for Tristar chip replacement (I think it's chip or battery) and was looking at the new pros, partially because I could use larger screen, and the usb3 might outweigh loss of headphone jack (which I run to DI then amp). Performance-wise I never had issue running Korg Module, Gadget, Galileo, & Audiokit but never tried more than 3 at once. I'm keyboard player that replaced all hardware sound modules with ipad apps as it lets my sounds travel with me so I can use any midi keyboard and have the right sounds. The Modules set list feature is also pretty handy.

Thx.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Addict

I bought my first ipad this week, the pro 12.9 256. I had aging desktop systems before, a Mac Pro 3.1 and an i5 2-core machine.

Playing virtual instruments like Scythe and Obsidian, through my RME UFX II I'm getting better performance at 64 samples on the Ipad. I'm basing that on pops and crackles. I've had almost none on the ipad.

Really amazed at programs like Midiflow. Allowing for mults of midi signals to external or other apps is working well. But the real reason I bought the ipad was for Nanostudio 2.

Time-signature and tempo change are important to me. What I didn't expect was how close it brings my mind to making changes on the patterns. I'm adjusting actually. I'm used to a lot more physical movement to make velocities work on a MIDI pattern.

As it happened I was auditioning a MPC X the same week the ipad arrived here. And beside the ipad and N2, the MPC (and I love MPC's) began to look like turning a crank to start a car. I sent it back.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Addict

Another bump here.

new iPad Pro owners - is this issue fixed? I saw 12.1.2 was released but didn't see anything about sound issues being mentioned.

... some googling later ...

appears it's now part of 12.1.3 which is due 'soon' ... ?

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/news/app...phone-0191606/
Core Audio Resolved Issues

Audio performance when using some third-party apps is improved on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Pro 11-inch models. (46037111)
Ian
Old 8th January 2019
Gear Addict

I returned the 2018 model to save money and take advantage of the 2017 models being thrown overboard on the used market.

Also the USB-c hotplug on the RME UFX doesn’t work flawlessly yet like the lightning connector. Longer battery life so far on the 2017 too.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
I returned the 2018 model to save money and take advantage of the 2017 models being thrown overboard on the used market.

Also the USB-c hotplug on the RME UFX doesn’t work flawlessly yet like the lightning connector. Longer battery life so far on the 2017 too.
Sounds like a good plan - maybe the 10" 2017 is all I need - still has headphone socket and substantially cheaper.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

My I-Pad is the only control surface for my QUsb stage box. When my old I-Pad failed Apple replaced it with a new 10 inch 2017 model for $300. The good news is my K & M mic stand holder fits this model and the new one is too small and does not fasten in securely. In practice once I have set up the sound check I use it for lyric mgt. ----- Works very well till it goes into pwr saving mode.
Hugh
Old 28th February 2019
UPDATE: Now that the previous update fixed the audio issues on the 2018 iPad Pro, and now that my Hyperdrive (see photo) has finally arrived from the Kickstarter that I funded, this iPad Pro is an absolute dream to make music on! Everything is working, and I have all the connections I need!
Attached Thumbnails
2018 iPad Pros..Anyone buy one yet? Experiences with music software?-hyperdrive03.jpg  
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
UPDATE: Now that the previous update fixed the audio issues on the 2018 iPad Pro, and now that my Hyperdrive (see photo) has finally arrived from the Kickstarter that I funded, this iPad Pro is an absolute dream to make music on! Everything is working, and I have all the connections I need!

Out of curiosity, are you able to run Model 15 at 128 samples in AUM without crackles on the 2018 Pro?
Old 28th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post

Out of curiosity, are you able to run Model 15 at 128 samples in AUM without crackles on the 2018 Pro?
Yep, I am now! (just tested it to make sure.) Before, I couldn't get it to run at any setting.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

yes, indeed the subpar CPU performance issue with audio applications is gone now with the latest updates. Running iOS 12.1.4 and everythings good.

Whats that hyperdrive? It looks like something I need in my life

Also, can anyone recommend a good USB-C compatible headphone output? The apple headphone dongles are too tiny and get lost quite easily.. Was thinking of getting either an Apogee Jam+ or the Apogee One Mac - any suggestions welcome! Has to work on USB-C bus power from the iPad and footprint needs to be tiny. Already have a Crimson 3 for more serious musicing, just need a hedphone out (and a TRS line input would be the cherry on top but not a dealbreaker)
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Head

Good to hear the news about the updates. It’s making me want to upgrade my 1st gen 12.9” iPad Pro. Aside from the speed bogging down a bit, it’s physically clunky and quite heavy. The weight makes it difficult to find a suitable stand and case that will last.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict

I have a newbie question about this. I'm looking for a live performance solution for sampled instruments only; it looks like Soundfonts might be a solution for that and will have a listen to some of them to see if they pass muster. I really only need a couple of instruments (e.g., piano and harp). So my question is whether an iPad Pro could work for this: I would obviously need to be able to plug in a MIDI keyboard but also would need to be able to plug in an interface to go out to the sound system (my keyboard is a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 m2 and does not have a built-in interface).

I assumed I'd have to spend a lot of money on a Mac or Windows laptop to do this, but I didn't know about the Soundfonts solution, which could make an iPad a viable and much cheaper alternative. Would it work?
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Would it work?
Yes.

In hardware terms you'd need a class compliant audio interface with MIDI so you could connect your keyboard. There are plenty of those around: I've variously used the Presonus AudioBox iTwo, MOTU UltraLike Mk 4 and RME Fireface 802.

Software wise you'd need an app that can load and play SoundFonts. Two I'm aware of but haven't used are BS-16i and Auria Pro; there are doubtless more.

The only other thing is that you'd need the means to get the SoundFont files onto the iPad: the most likely method is via iTunes File Sharing from a computer.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post

The only other thing is that you'd need the means to get the SoundFont files onto the iPad: the most likely method is via iTunes File Sharing from a computer.
Thanks so much for the info! This sounds worth pursuing; I assume I could also use Dropbox or iCloud to transfer the files onto the iPad; alternatively I have a Western Digital wireless hard drive that could do the trick.

If this works it'll save me a lot of money...it really depends on how convincing the SoundFont files are; we're looking for realistic simulations of acoustic instruments. I've listened to some of the piano ones and they're quite good; just need to download and test the harp samples as I'll mainly be using that. I have harp sample libraries in Kontakt and from Spitfire Audio but there's no way to use an iPad for those (no support for Kontact on iOS).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search