The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pixel Music - make music from images Mobile Apps
Old 29th September 2018
Here for the gear
Pixel Music - make music from images

Greetings everyone,

I want to share the first demo for an app that I am currently working on, built with AudioKit: Pixel Music - Make music from images on Vimeo

The gist of it is that a picture is converted into a sequencer grid of various sizes and the sequencer notes get calculated based on the underlying pixel data. For the video above, I used the following images as a source, although in the final version you will be able to use a photo from the phone's camera or library:
https://images.pexels.com/photos/132...to-132037.jpeg
https://orig00.deviantart.net/1551/f...en-dc1mu7e.jpg
https://dingo.care2.com/pictures/gre...6075.large.jpg

In the demo, I have three simulators running side by side, but for later versions, I plan on adding support for running multiple sequencers (with different settings and images) from a single app. The sequencer is Ableton Link compatible and this is how I managed to get the three apps and Ableton Live to stay in sync. There's also a simple synth built in with the standard options to get things started, but where I think this app will really shine is sending MIDI to more robust synth apps (which btw works but is not in the demo).

Right now the note pitches are calculated as an average of the RGB values of the pixels and the velocity is static, but there are many other possible combinations here, and I intend to expose this such that people can come up with their own interesting algorithms. The UI is pretty rough at this point and I'll work on improving it after the basic functionality is finished. While the demo is focused on the iPhone interface, the app will be universal and will work on the iPad as well.

A lot has been done, but there's still a ton left to do. If you're interested in getting updates on the progress of Pixel Music, please subscribe using the following form: Pixel Music Updates

Thanks,
Andrei
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

This is slick !!
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear
This is indeed sweet.
Great idea.
Old 22nd February 2019
Here for the gear
Update

Hey Everybody,

It’s been a while, longer than I wanted to, but I have an update on Pixel Music. You can check a new version of the app here (aprox 2:30 mins in length):
YouTube, recorded on an iPhone 6s.

The first part of the demo features the built in synth, while the end sequence has the MIDI notes sent to AudioKit SynthOne and Animoog - the screen recorder did not work with the two synths running so that’s why there’s no video

From the first version presented, I added the possibility of having multiple sequencers running at the same time. Right now there’s no limit, I’ll have to see from usage when things start to go weary in terms of performance and so on.

There are a ton of other options to explore but I think it is in a state where I can share it with people as an alpha/beta version via testflight so that I can have live feedback. Besides the app itself, I think in this environment it’s essential to see how it integrates in everybody’s workflow (audiobus, ableton link, etc).

I’ll figure out a way how to do that and share it here and on the mailing list (Pixel Music Updates).

Thanks,
Andrei

P.S. the UI also has an adapted landscape version for the iPad
Old 23rd February 2019
Here for the gear

This is so exciting! Looking forward to it! ?
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear
Here's a quick jam with Pixel Music routed to a Korg Minilogue and Mother 32
Pixel Music Demo 3 on Vimeo

I was sending midi from the app to MusicIO, which in turn was sending to Ableton and from there I routed everything to the external synths.

Cheers,
Andrei
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search