The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What could I do with an iPad? Inspire me :) Mobile Apps
Old 2nd September 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
What could I do with an iPad? Inspire me :)

Hello

I'm considering to buy an Avid Pro Tools Dock, so I'll have to buy an iPad too

Point is, I don't know what to use the iPad for except for the Dock, and I'd like to use it also for other purposes, just to justify the price xD

Problem is, I'm not too keen to virtual synths or VI in general, I tend to do everything with hardware synths, sequencers, and samplers, so I don't know if I will end up using it for playing VI, I think I'll find it boring (because of the sound), but maybe I'll find a couple of them fun to play

Main use I can see is for controlling stuff

But, I don't know, if you can suggest me other uses, even beside audio, I don't know, maybe for video could be interesting

Well, open my mind xD
I don't see a use for it... I already have an iPhone with 256gb, so I'm already set about carrying around my music library, photos and stuff

I'm undecided if getting an old iPad to use it just as a screen... but the price doesn't seem to go enough low to justify it compared to a new one that can do much more things and will last longer... or if getting a new one

In that case I'm in doubt if getting the 32gb version or 128gb... I don't know if 32gb will be enough or, once I'll get the iPad and maybe I find some other use for it, 32gb won't be enough and I'll be forced to sell it for a bigger one

But, if I'll end up using only for the Dock, then 32gb would be more than enough

Well, any suggestion is appreciated
Old 3rd September 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
No one? XD

I know, it is a kind of odd thread xD

Any idea?
Old 3rd September 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

I create stuff on my iPhone all the time when inspiration strikes and use a MIDI interface to transfer into Reaper. Or use it as a MIDI controller, a lot of interesting uses and a ton of useful apps. I have a lightning connection that goes into 2 channels of my converter as well, the pressure sensitive 3D Touch makes things interesting as well. Who would have thought they’d be using their phone for such things. There’s an IOS forum on here.
Old 3rd September 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
it's good for browsing the net for two hours while you take a ****
Old 3rd September 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
it's good for browsing the net for two hours while you take a ****
Bull****! LOL Why do they have a sub forum for it then? That said, yes you can even make music while taking a ****
Old 3rd September 2018
  #6
I have the iPad Pro and use it for my Label`s Admin work (Pages and Numbers), Artwork for the releases and promotion (Procreate, Affinity photo, Affinity designer, Imaengin), Videos for music and promotion (Luma Fusion, Wizibel, Werble). Sometimes I use it for DJ sets (Traktor DJ). I use it as an extra display in my studio as well ( duet ). I`ve got Audio apps like Cubasis etc. installed, but never really use it. AND of course lots of games
Buying an iPad pro with the pen is really a good investment. I`ve actually saved a lot of cash just being able to do everything myself on the iPad.

For examples on the artwork and vids I do with it, you can check out my Label`s homepage: Diss Master Records – Electronic Dance Music Record Company
This whole website was designed on my iPad.
Will upload another promo video tonight.
Old 3rd September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
I create stuff on my iPhone all the time when inspiration strikes and use a MIDI interface to transfer into Reaper. Or use it as a MIDI controller, a lot of interesting uses and a ton of useful apps. I have a lightning connection that goes into 2 channels of my converter as well, the pressure sensitive 3D Touch makes things interesting as well. Who would have thought they’d be using their phone for such things. There’s an IOS forum on here.
What gear do you use to do this?
To transfer midi from the iPhone, to connect it to the converters, etc
Old 3rd September 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
I have the iPad Pro and use it for my Label`s Admin work (Pages and Numbers), Artwork for the releases and promotion (Procreate, Affinity photo, Affinity designer, Imaengin), Videos for music and promotion (Luma Fusion, Wizibel, Werble). Sometimes I use it for DJ sets (Traktor DJ). I use it as an extra display in my studio as well ( duet ). I`ve got Audio apps like Cubasis etc. installed, but never really use it. AND of course lots of games
Buying an iPad pro with the pen is really a good investment. I`ve actually saved a lot of cash just being able to do everything myself on the iPad.

For examples on the artwork and vids I do with it, you can check out my Label`s homepage: Diss Master Records – Electronic Dance Music Record Company
This whole website was designed on my iPad.
Will upload another promo video tonight.
Cool, thanks
Old 3rd September 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
What gear do you use to do this?
To transfer midi from the iPhone, to connect it to the converters, etc
Hardware-iRig MIDI for MIDI. You can buy the 1st gen one for like $5-10 on Ebay and get the 30 pin to lighning adapter(that`s what I`ve done ever since they changed it and ran that into whatever MIDI device you have. I just use an M Audio UNO USB MIDI device -I`ve been doing this thing for years). On the audio side they will give you a lightning to headphone adapter. Run a 1/4 stereo cable to splitter(it`s been so long I can`t remember what adapter I used to get from 1/8 to 1/4 in stereo, and it`s buried behind my rack). There are TONS of apps that are useful. I won`t list them all but Suggester, Piano Companion, Aftertouch, ChordPolyPad, Arp, MIDI Designer(holy grail especially on ipad), ChordUp, Miditure to say a few. YMMV.
Old 3rd September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Bull****! LOL Why do they have a sub forum for it then? That said, yes you can even make music while taking a ****
i didn't say it was the only use, just my favorite one.
Old 3rd September 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i didn't say it was the only use, just my favorite one.
Well, yeah. I suppose some good samples could be captured.
Old 6th September 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
Well, yeah. I suppose some good samples could be captured.
like, physical samples?
Old 6th September 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Download GarageBand for iOS. Pretty intuitive and easy to start putting down ideas. Some of the virtual instruments sound pretty good (I like a couple drum kits, synths, and the organ) but even if you're not a fan, you can use them for composition then replace the sounds later.
Old 7th September 2018
  #14
Gear Guru
 

I just returned from visiting a classical pianist friend of mine. She was showing me her iPad. She does not use it for recording.
She puts her sheet music on it. She can turn the page (forward or back) with a bluetooth foot pedal. It is backlit and has a battery, so no problem finding light, and no more need for a page turner. You can zoom the chart too and the foot pedal understands where you are.

It even comes with a stylus where you can make notes or corrections on the score, just like you would with a paper score. The only downside: I do remember one of her page turners was quite the Fox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
Main use I can see is for controlling stuff
there's a iPad app for controlling Pro Tools, probably a bunch of other programs as well

A lot of the new digital mixers can be controlled remotely from an iPad, so if you are doing live sound, you could walk around the room fine-tuning your mix. You can go up on stage with the band and set their monitors.

metronomes and tuners are common, and there are a bunch of synths and weird instruments you play with touch gestures.
Old 7th September 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
BarcelonaMusic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
like, physical samples?
There used to be a MIDI controller that used the camera to react to "movements". I`m not sure if it`s still out there or there is an app like it. So my answer is "yes".
Old 7th September 2018
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Lots of options

There are some amazing iPad music apps IMO. Here are just a few I find really inspiring.

1. Samplr - This is actually one of the best samplers I’ve ever used iPad or not. Makes use of the touch interface to allow new ways to play samples.

2. Ani Moog and Model 15 - Awesome soft synths made by Moog. Hold their own against way more expensive stuff.

3. Electrotribe Drum Machines - faithful emulations if the classic Electribe drum machines for very little dinero.

Great music apps for the iPad abound and it inspires new ways of interacting.
Old 7th September 2018
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Hello

I'm considering to buy an Avid Pro Tools Dock, so I'll have to buy an iPad too

Point is, I don't know what to use the iPad for except for the Dock, and I'd like to use it also for other purposes, just to justify the price xD

Problem is, I'm not too keen to virtual synths or VI in general, I tend to do everything with hardware synths, sequencers, and samplers, so I don't know if I will end up using it for playing VI, I think I'll find it boring (because of the sound), but maybe I'll find a couple of them fun to play

Main use I can see is for controlling stuff

But, I don't know, if you can suggest me other uses, even beside audio, I don't know, maybe for video could be interesting

Well, open my mind xD
I don't see a use for it... I already have an iPhone with 256gb, so I'm already set about carrying around my music library, photos and stuff

I'm undecided if getting an old iPad to use it just as a screen... but the price doesn't seem to go enough low to justify it compared to a new one that can do much more things and will last longer... or if getting a new one

In that case I'm in doubt if getting the 32gb version or 128gb... I don't know if 32gb will be enough or, once I'll get the iPad and maybe I find some other use for it, 32gb won't be enough and I'll be forced to sell it for a bigger one

But, if I'll end up using only for the Dock, then 32gb would be more than enough

Well, any suggestion is appreciated

You could get the coolest drum machine ever:

Patterning : Drum Machine

Actually, all the software that company makes kicks ass.
Old 7th September 2018
  #18
The Robert Fripp guitar/fX app is quite special/deep.
Old 7th September 2018
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Airlines are trending away from putting LCD screens in seatbacks. They'll still have the programming but you'll have to watch it on your own phone or tablet.
Old 7th September 2018
  #20
Gear Addict
 

For you, as you mentioned, I'd start with MIDI control. You can do all sorts of cool "surfaces" with a variety of apps. Audiobus3 and perhaps AUM are super useful or even necessary (Audiobus is a little more audio router than mixer, AUM is a little more mixer than audio router). There's also MIDI chord tools & arpeggiators. You could even use the iPad as an outboard effects rack.
Old 7th September 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The Robert Fripp guitar/fX app is quite special/deep.
I think you mean Adrian Belew. It's called Flux:FX and is amazing but pretty much abandoned by NOIISE the developer.
Old 8th September 2018
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I think you mean Adrian Belew. It's called Flux:FX and is amazing but pretty much abandoned by NOIISE the developer.
I do indeed.

From Many Hands Make Light Work

“(Joji) Malani is a big fan of Adrian Belew, and his iPad app Flux:FX. “He’s got the largest collection of effects in the world,” said Malani. “His studio in Nashville has this giant walk-in wardrobe where every effect he’s ever owned is patched in to a patch bay so he can play through any sequence of effects. The app is based on all his favourite combinations. A lot of the soundscapes, or times where you need something more bassy than bass, come from there. It also has this really amazing sub synth bass that’s really interactive.””
Old 8th September 2018
  #23
Gear Maniac
Number one useful music-related iOS thing for me is managing chord charts, lyric sheets and set lists. There are a several apps for doing this. I use OnSong. It's fantastic to organize and catalogue tunes, and have them at your fingertips.

There are some great iOS music making apps, and I have integrated iPads into my hardware setup.. but mostly (musically) use the iPad to capture ideas, and save them off for building up later.
Old 8th September 2018
  #24
Lives for gear
 

What type of music making are you into ?
The best loopers you can get are on IOS
There are now three extremely powerful linear DAWs on IOS (Cubasis/Auria/Audio Evolution)
Beatmaker 3 is one of the most intuitive groove based DAWs on any platform
Xequencer is one of the best, if not the best straight MIDI sequencer on any platform

IPad is no longer a secondary item in a lot of studios, I am getting to the point where all composition is done on a pad with headphones, it is beyond liberating, especially with a couple of Bluetooth controllers.
Very easy to pass stems to the desktop for mixing too, but that isnt even needed, it is just quicker for me still at this point.

Last edited by Bungle; 8th September 2018 at 09:53 PM..
Old 29th September 2018
  #25
Gear Nut
 
Simmosonic's Avatar
 

I bought the 10.5 inch iPad Pro in September of last year. I have since moved my entire digital life over to it. My 15 inch Macbook Pro (an early 2013 model) and hard disks sit in a storage locker in a hotel in Bangkok, coming out about once a month to make backups and access my archives.

I travel around Asia and the Himalaya recording traditional music, using a Nagra 7 and a matched pair of Sennheiser MKH800s for audio, and a Sony RX100 MkIII for video. Moving to the iPad Pro saved me over 2kg of weight and about $2k over the Macbook Pro upgrade I had planned. It also gives me heaps longer battery life, and, because it’s a post-social media design, it leaves the Macbook Pro for dead when it comes to internet stuff. I’ve got the model with the cellular option, so I put a SIM card in it for whatever country I’m in and I’ve got internet wherever there’s a phone network - which is pretty much everywhere these days.

After transferring the files off the SD cards into iOS (solving that problem was a drama of its own, LOL!), I use AudioShare as a kind of Photos app for wav files, Auria Pro (with in-app purchased Fab Filter plugins) for a DAW, and LumaFusion for video.

I keep finding more uses for the iPad Pro. It runs Zoom’s ‘F8 Control’ app for Bluetooth remote control of the Zoom F8 (for when I’m using that instead of the Nagra 7). It also works as a remote control for the Sony camera, including an on-screen display, which is a real bonus and frees me up from sitting behind the camera when recording musicians. I use the Filmic Pro app to turn it into a very cool backup video camera, and I’m thinking of getting an iOS stereo mic so it can also be a backup recorder.

Overall, it’s a very useful device for me. If iZotope made a version of Rx for iOS I’d be a very happy camper. It’s more than powerful enough; it’s faster than my old 2013 MBP, and that machine ran Rx well enough...
Old 30th September 2018
  #26
Here for the gear
 

It has certainly boosted my creativity. Animoog app in particular and its visual way of manipulating the sound is a very powerful tool that I am using a lot.
This is an abandoned Ableton project that I have "rescued" thanks to the inspiration I have found in this iPad app.

Ruben on Instagram: “Old #ableton project + #animoog is a good thing.

#ipadmusic
#lofihiphop
#lofi
#triphop
https://youtu.be/xrjQ-goi5u0”
Old 30th September 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 

I second the Model 15 app. There are a lot of cool patches available for it, and you can run it with a hardware keyboard. I use a $15 usb to MIDI cable and a $15 camera connection cable, which lets you connect both standard midi and a lightning power cable.

You already have an iPhone, so you probably have a lot of apps you use. Sometimes it's not convenient to use your phone for some apps, because it makes it harder to use your phone for communication tasks. Running these on the ipad is convenient.

So for example, I have the Peterson iStrobosoft tuner. I also have Studio Six Digital's Audio Tools that I use for their real time FFT and scope functions. SPL meter too, on occasion. I find the larger screen makes it easier to see some of those apps as well.

If you're into games, there are some cool iPad games that aren't available on iPhone.
Old 8th November 2018
  #28
Here for the gear
 

Download GarageBand for iOS. Truly instinctive and simple to begin putting down thoughts. A portion of the virtual instruments sound really great (I like a couple drum units, synths, and the organ) however regardless here of whether you're not a fan, you can utilize them for creation at that point supplant the sounds later.
Old 25th November 2018
  #29
HSi
Lives for gear
 
HSi's Avatar
 

Lemur, touch Osc, electribe
Old 21st January 2019
  #30
Has anyone checked out NanoStudio 2 yet? Been messing around with it for a few days and I`m impressed! Apparently they will add the audio tracks in this year. As far as stock plugins, synth, drum machine and routing capabilities goes, this could be the most advanced DAW for iOS thus far.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump