The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What could I do with an iPad? Inspire me :)
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Absolutely. You don’t even need a computer for that. There are numerous devices built to automatically transfer all files of an SD card directly onto internal storage, either hard disk or SSD.

I use a Western Digital ‘My Passport Wireless Pro’. I stick the SD card into it and it automatically transfers the files off the SD card across to its internal storage. There is no screen; you simply configure it to either copy the whole SD card each time you insert it, or to just copy what’s been added since the last backup. You configure that while it’s connected via wireless to your iPad or laptop running the WD control app, and then it stays that way. Each set of transfers is put in its own named and dated folder. It works very well for me.

It’s also a wireless drive, so I can access everything on it from my iPad via a wireless connection. If turned off and plugged into a USB port, it functions like any other hard disk. It’s also a powerbank and can be used to keep USB devices powered for longer.

I use the Lumatouch iOS app for editing my videos, it recognises the Western Digital drive and allows auditioning directly off it. That means I don’t need to transfer a 10 minute file on to the iPad for 5 seconds of B roll. I audition the footage in Lumatouch via the wireless connection to the Western Digital, select the segment I want to use, and only that part is transferred into the iPad’s storage.

I have the 3TB version with spinning disk, as shown below. I’d feel a bit more comfortable with the SSD version but at the time I bought it I needed the larger storage capacity at the lower price.

https://www.wd.com/products/portable...MT0030BBK-NESN
These are the things that will really interest me later. I know I'll eventually want more space than my iPad can give me and I'd like to eventually use external storage or cloud storage rather than buying more expensive iPads for larger internal storage.

I'm wondering how well that can work for DAW projects that don't have a ton going on. For me it's actual vocals, actual guitar, then digital bass, and digital drums.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almy View Post
I'm wondering how well that can work for DAW projects that don't have a ton going on. For me it's actual vocals, actual guitar, then digital bass, and digital drums.
I’m a bit of a minimalist so I rarely use many tracks. The biggest session I can remember doing on the iPad with Aria Pro was 8-tracks, Royal Court Music from Mandalay, Myanmar. Eight mics, all acoustic of course. The CPU usage meter was nowhere near capacity for that stuff, with the mixer in 64-bit mode and running typical EQ and reverb plug-ins.
Old 3rd February 2019
Gear Nut

Nice! Storage space is a big curiosity for me. I like how GarageBand stores projects in the cloud seamlessly but I could see how a larger project would take up a lot of space initially.
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
There are some amazing iPad music apps IMO. Here are just a few I find really inspiring.

1. Samplr - This is actually one of the best samplers I’ve ever used iPad or not. Makes use of the touch interface to allow new ways to play samples.
Samplr is broken under iOS 12. It won't record.

But if you have an iPad that's stuck at iOS 10 it will work on that. It's really fun. I got my wife to play in a three octave scale on violin and now I can play chords and arpeggios :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search