The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What could I do with an iPad? Inspire me :) Mobile Apps
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I really like Cubasis, great DAW and has a very nice VA synth and other plugins and its being regularly updated
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
I really like Cubasis, great DAW and has a very nice VA synth and other plugins and its being regularly updated
Couple of things I don`t like about it. Turning off snap to grid, still snaps to a tiny invisible grid that makes it impossible to line things up properly. No internal side chain capabilities. No group channels. No parallel channels. Stock plugins are not that great. 3rd Party Synths and FX cannot be run internally. On the channel strip, the Gain Reduction meters seem to operate backwards.

So it`s fine for fooling around on, or just getting some basic ideas down. For any serious work though, not so great.
Old 4 weeks ago
I write songs on guitar. Sometimes, just for fun I use the Ipad and Garage band to write. I use only smart instruments etc. It can be quite nice, just to get out of a rut. The only other thing I use my Ipad for is reading. I have not bought a paperback book since I got my first Ipad many years ago. I think it's awesome reading books on it. In bed I don't need the light on (my girlfriend is happy about that). When I finish a book I just buy a new one on iBooks. I have a nice little library in it now
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
Couple of things I don`t like about it. Turning off snap to grid, still snaps to a tiny invisible grid that makes it impossible to line things up properly. No internal side chain capabilities. No group channels. No parallel channels. Stock plugins are not that great. 3rd Party Synths and FX cannot be run internally. On the channel strip, the Gain Reduction meters seem to operate backwards.

So it`s fine for fooling around on, or just getting some basic ideas down. For any serious work though, not so great.
Thanks, yeah I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I personally dont habe much issues with the snapping though I definitely see how that can be annoying. They should fix that (luckily they update fairly regularly).

As for the channels I cant comment on that.

I bought additional cubasis plugins (and cubasis itself) on a 50% off sale and am pretty happy with them. For what I payed I got a lot for the money imo.

You can use other synth apps and external synths just fine? (Audiobus 3 is very powerful!)

What I like about Cubasis is its simplicity and mobility while still having some more advanced features (though obviously not everything Ableton or Cubase on PC/MacOS have) under the hood. I think you can do more with it (depending on what you are going for) than just working on basic ideas, that really doesnt do it justice
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Has anyone checked out NanoStudio 2 yet? Been messing around with it for a few days and I`m impressed! Apparently they will add the audio tracks in this year. As far as stock plugins, synth, drum machine and routing capabilities goes, this could be the most advanced DAW for iOS thus far.
Yeah not so much, the hype died quickly on this one, a lot of the workflow is very painful after you start using it for a while, it kinda feels like somebody has taken all the best of everything, then smashed them together with a bulldozer, when you look at each individual part you are looking thinking "This is amazing" but when you want to make a song, you go elsewhere to other software that doesn't get in the way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Has anyone checked out NanoStudio 2 yet? Been messing around with it for a few days and I`m impressed! Apparently they will add the audio tracks in this year. As far as stock plugins, synth, drum machine and routing capabilities goes, this could be the most advanced DAW for iOS thus far.
How does MultiTrackStudio (MTS) compare.?
Just started getting into ipad and MTS seems to get a lot of love.
Will check out the Nano 2
cheers
M
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yeah not so much, the hype died quickly on this one, a lot of the workflow is very painful after you start using it for a while, it kinda feels like somebody has taken all the best of everything, then smashed them together with a bulldozer, when you look at each individual part you are looking thinking "This is amazing" but when you want to make a song, you go elsewhere to other software that doesn't get in the way.
So far, I`ve just done a decent beat on it, but will attempt to produce a full track soon. No doubt I will export all channels for further production and mixing on my MAC. Just interested to see how close I can get to the final product. I`ve seen YouTube vids of tracks done in NanoStudio 2, but they all sounded quite Amateurish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
cheers
M
Haven`t tried MTS yet. Will have a look.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I did a little EP last summer with an ipad air while on vacation. Everything top to bottom was done on iOS...tracks, mix, cover art, etc.

You can do pretty much anything on them these days.

Coolout - Beach Trip Beats | discchord
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So far, I`ve just done a decent beat on it, but will attempt to produce a full track soon. No doubt I will export all channels for further production and mixing on my MAC. Just interested to see how close I can get to the final product. I`ve seen YouTube vids of tracks done in NanoStudio 2, but they all sounded quite Amateurish.
As long as you get them out the the Mac it's easy to escape the amateur vibe.

I always laugh at people who claim you can do it all on iOS devices. You can't unless you're doing minimal ambient jam stuff. For ideas and sketching it's great though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
cheers
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post

I always laugh at people who claim you can do it all on iOS devices. You can't unless you're doing minimal ambient jam stuff. For ideas and sketching it's great though.
Totally agree with you on that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've been looking at different DAW options for my iPad home studio setup. Cubasis seems to be a good option and now I'm starting to look at Korg Gadget, which seems to be getting more robust. I'm a songwriter just doing vocals, guitar, and midi bass and midi drums.

I started tinkering with X Drummer from Positive Grid and it looks interesting. If i can do midi edits to fine tune the "AI" learning drum tracks then I might decide to go with GarageBand for now and just use X Drummer with it. Anyone have any experience with Korg's drummer Recife?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Get Metagrid, it's amazing: HOME | METASYSTEM
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I do everything on my iPad, stopped building PCs for home a few years ago. Is this more for people using an iPad and a PC?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gadget is awesome and I see it only getting more and more robust. If it gets enough traction or if they need a way to give the Gadget ecosystem a boost, I would imagine Korg might start making hardware that works in conjunction with it, sort of how Roland has with the Cloud and Aira.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks. I've already been eyeballing the Korg nanoKEY Studio and nanoKONTROL, they lead me to researching Gadget. I have a feeling I'll lean that way. Even if I wind up preferring X-Drummer to Recife I'm sure I could still use it with the Korg peripherals and Gadget.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolute, nothing inherently makes an iPad lower quality or less capable, to say so shows a complete lack of knowledge, a computer is a computer is a computer.
Next you will be saying Windows has rounding issues or some such nonsense too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolute, nothing inherently makes an iPad lower quality or less capable, to say so shows a complete lack of knowledge, a computer is a computer is a computer.
Next you will be saying Windows has rounding issues or some such nonsense too.

Say something useful or prove me wrong.

I never said it was less capable or lower quality. Just that it's hard (not impossible) to do complete pro production on iOS compared to a computer. As a result most "iOS music" is amateur sounding.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So backtracking now are we, you didn't say it was impossible, yes you did.
You even said it in a really smarmy 'holier than though way' because you laugh at people who disagree.
Ridiculous.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

As a result most "iOS music" is amateur sounding.
indeed, look at you and your over powering "heard everything ever made on IOS" attitude, you are absolutely out of this world hahahaha, WTF ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Amateur here who enjoys using the iPad for making music. Lot's of inspiring apps to choose from.
Gadget for the snippet, Lumafusion for the video (some audio distortion as added bonus)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No one? XD

I know, it is a kind of odd thread xD

Any idea?
Moog.

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/model-15-app

https://www.moogmusic.com/products/animoog
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So backtracking now are we, you didn't say it was impossible, yes you did.
You even said it in a really smarmy 'holier than though way' because you laugh at people who disagree.
Ridiculous.
Like I said prove me wrong...

You won't.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like I said prove me wrong...

You won't.
Can you even comprehend reality ?
Does every song released now have a qualifier next to it "Made on xyz"
You are speaking complete and utter nonsense and have made yourself look very silly.

But go on, I'll join in, you are the one that said it is impossible to make anything that doesn't sound amateurish on IOS first, so the onus is on you, you prove me wrong hahahaha.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you even comprehend reality ?
Does every song released now have a qualifier next to it "Made on xyz"
You are speaking complete and utter nonsense and have made yourself look very silly.

But go on, I'll join in, you are the one that said it is impossible to make anything that doesn't sound amateurish on IOS first, so the onus is on you, you prove me wrong hahahaha.
And you're just failing to face the facts:

People who make professional standard music on iOS finish it in real studios or on a computer. Like I've asked you, prove me wrong by showing me an artist finishing tracks 100% on iOS.

I'd no longer own a computer if I could finish my stuff on an iPad.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I didn't see anyone talking about professional artists and such. The conversation wasn't about that when you said this:

Quote:

Later you started demanding proof of professionals. Plenty of us do just fine with iOS all in one and no PC.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post

After transferring the files off the SD cards into iOS (solving that problem was a drama of its own, LOL!)
This is the part I want to learn about, please!

My cinema camera uses SD cards, and I'd love to be able to transfer the footage (typically 64-128 gigabytes per card) to a hard disk or SSD for backup while in the field. Each SD card's capacity is much higher than that of my iPad, so really what I need is a way to go directly from SD card to hard disk/SSD, just using the iPad to transfer the files. Is there a way to do that?

My current approach is to use a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet with a dock, which has multiple USB ports. But the Surface is the single most unreliable computer I've owned in the past 30 years, and its battery life is 1.5 to 2 hours at best. I'd love to be able to use my iPad instead.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
Each SD card's capacity is much higher than that of my iPad, so really what I need is a way to go directly from SD card to hard disk/SSD, just using the iPad to transfer the files. Is there a way to do that?
Absolutely. You don’t even need a computer for that. There are numerous devices built to automatically transfer all files of an SD card directly onto internal storage, either hard disk or SSD.

I use a Western Digital ‘My Passport Wireless Pro’. I stick the SD card into it and it automatically transfers the files off the SD card across to its internal storage. There is no screen; you simply configure it to either copy the whole SD card each time you insert it, or to just copy what’s been added since the last backup. You configure that while it’s connected via wireless to your iPad or laptop running the WD control app, and then it stays that way. Each set of transfers is put in its own named and dated folder. It works very well for me.

It’s also a wireless drive, so I can access everything on it from my iPad via a wireless connection. If turned off and plugged into a USB port, it functions like any other hard disk. It’s also a powerbank and can be used to keep USB devices powered for longer.

I use the Lumatouch iOS app for editing my videos, it recognises the Western Digital drive and allows auditioning directly off it. That means I don’t need to transfer a 10 minute file on to the iPad for 5 seconds of B roll. I audition the footage in Lumatouch via the wireless connection to the Western Digital, select the segment I want to use, and only that part is transferred into the iPad’s storage.

I have the 3TB version with spinning disk, as shown below. I’d feel a bit more comfortable with the SSD version but at the time I bought it I needed the larger storage capacity at the lower price.

https://www.wd.com/products/portable...MT0030BBK-NESN
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Absolutely. You don’t even need a computer for that. There are numerous devices built to automatically transfer all files of an SD card directly onto internal storage, either hard disk or SSD.
Fantastically useful, thanks so much for all the detail in your reply, I'm going to do this! That sounds like just what I need.

I've looked into Lumatouch and would probably use it if I ever do smartphone video, but I do all my editing and color grading and audio work in Davinci Resolve on a desktop computer and that's not likely to change anytime soon. Still, this is a great use of the iPad and will save me having to haul my much-despised Surface tablet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I've looked into Lumatouch and would probably use it if I ever do smartphone video, but I do all my editing and color grading and audio work in Davinci Resolve on a desktop computer and that's not likely to change anytime soon.
Resolve is fantastic, but I doubt we’ll see THAT on an iPad in the immediate future!

By the way, here’s a link to a magazine article I wrote last year about how I moved my entire mobile production over to iPad. I do simple stuff, however, as you’ll see in the article...

ON THE GO: MOVING FROM A LAPTOP TO AN IPAD
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1: Get a little bluetooth keyboard and use it to write lyrics, etc.

2: THE BEST use for an iPad or any mobile device I've found is Chrome Remote Desktop. It gives you your whole computer screen on your tablet or phone and, therefore, the ability to control anything.

I use it as a DAW remote when I'm across the room, I use it to bounce and send files when I'm away from home, through email or wetransfer, to where ever I am in the world. I'll even use it to open my browser and load a page or leave a reminder on my desktop for when I get home. It's free and it's great. You can use it on old tablets to basically give you access to your whole pc.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search