The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Groove Rider GR-16 Thread DAW Software
Old 23rd August 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Groove Rider GR-16 Thread

I thought this one should have it’s own space. Anyone using this one, and your thoughts on it?
Old 23rd August 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 

It’s my favorite iOS music app. I’ve always enjoyed that electribe way of doing things. It’s got a lot of features, the developer keeps updating. I understand there are plans to implement eight bar patterns, that will be good. I was using it a lot but then got a Deluge so I haven’t used it recently. Keeping the UIs of both grooveboxes in my head at one time was making me a little confused. One thing I haven’t tested which I would like to find the time to try, is the MIDI out. I don’t know what it sends, if it’s note data or ccs as well.

There are quite a few menu items to deal with, I don’t like how the synth modulation is set up, for instance, and the x-y pad is too small. I wish the developer had been more flexible about adding a second page. But those are very small issues, I think it’s a really good app.
Old 23rd August 2018
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

I played with it a while back. I like how it has synthesis + sampling, like having the Electribe 2 synth and sampler versions in one model. I wonder if you can use the E2 pads to trigger the app. One thing that bugged me was having to remember to save your pattern before changing patterns, or you lose your work!
Old 24th August 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
One thing that bugged me was having to remember to save your pattern before changing patterns, or you lose your work!
Yeah that threw me the first couple times. Unfortunately I learned the hard way and have it down now.
Old 27th August 2018
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

I own it, and the developer is amazing - he's working on making it 8 bars per pattern. But I couldn't get into it, probably because I have it on my iPhone and don't have an iPad to use, but also because it's a totally different way of making music I'm not used to.

KORG just released Electribe Wave for the iPad today for $20. They make amazing sounding software. But their developers kinda suck in terms of listening to feedback. It doesn't even work on the iPhone, so it can't be in KORG Gadget.
Old 14th September 2018
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post

KORG just released Electribe Wave for the iPad today for $20. They make amazing sounding software. But their developers kinda suck in terms of listening to feedback. It doesn't even work on the iPhone, so it can't be in KORG Gadget.
Damn if that ain’t the ever living truth. It doesn’t have midi in/out. It doesn’t work with gadget. I know it’s only version 1 and it will get better. But $20 for half finished software for beta testers. Damn Korg
Old 19th September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
jazzcabbage's Avatar
 

New update just added wavetables and a bunch of other stuff
Old 19th September 2018
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
New update just added wavetables and a bunch of other stuff
I opened it today, fiddled a bit, and then still said. "Damn! I wish I knew how to get started with this." It's just so alien to the linear DAW approach I've been using for years on end. I've never owned music hardware, either.
Old 23rd September 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
If you own an electribe 2 , you can use it as a midi controller
Old 23rd September 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
If you own an electribe 2 , you can use it as a midi controller
That's awesome! I was wondering about that because it looks like an Electribe 2 + 2S in one!
Old 25th September 2018
  #11
Gear Nut
 
shortyedwards's Avatar
 

This thing is incredible and I just got it and have barely scratched the surface. Plus, it runs on an iPad 2 (yes, 2). Unreal tight coding.
Old 23rd October 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Anyone using it with Launchpad Pro? I’m not a key player so I’m trying to find a controller for it
Old 17th November 2018
  #13
Gear Head
 

Are we still talking about the groove rider, or did we shift to discussing the Electribe iOS ?

I’m confuzzed
Old 17th November 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Grooverider all the way...using it with Launchpad pro and Faderfox Pc4...bye bye electribe
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Song mode is now implemented. Starting to try and figure this beast out after owning it for at least a year.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
I see someone above has it running on an iPad 2. That's very promising - I have an iPad 3 and need an app that'll keep me happy while I go travelling for a couple of months.

Are there any specific CPU-hungry features that I could avoid using to keep it glitch-free?
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Just bumping to say that I couldn't wait, and tried it. All OK at about 30-50% CPU on the meter on the iPad 3. Brilliant bit of software, with just a few usability niggles, that I need to train myself on.

If I can get some decent workflow with sampling guitar and vocals, I'll be sorted for my travels.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Really loving it now. But... (there's always a but)... I can't get GR-16 to send MIDI through from the In port to the Out port.

So when working with an external synth, any notes I record into Groove rider via the MIDI In do not appear at the MIDI Out until the pattern loops around. (The notes arriving at the MIDI In DO trigger the internal GR-16 synth, however.) At that point, the external synth plays back the notes that were just recorded into the pattern on the last pass. I'm confuddled!

Anyone know if this requires a particular combination of MIDI settings?
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Really loving it now. But... (there's always a but)... I can't get GR-16 to send MIDI through from the In port to the Out port.

So when working with an external synth, any notes I record into Groove rider via the MIDI In do not appear at the MIDI Out until the pattern loops around. (The notes arriving at the MIDI In DO trigger the internal GR-16 synth, however.) At that point, the external synth plays back the notes that were just recorded into the pattern on the last pass. I'm confuddled!

Anyone know if this requires a particular combination of MIDI settings?
Try and ask on audiobus forum. There is a thread about it there and the developer is active there too
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
manalishi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Try and ask on audiobus forum. There is a thread about it there and the developer is active there too
Have now joined there and posted one (simpler) question. I'm going to redo my temporary MIDI setup, just in case I did something daft and then will post there if I can't figure it out.

(Absolutely loving GR so far. If a v2 ever comes out with live sampling into a part, I'd pay double.)
Old 1 week ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Have now joined there and posted one (simpler) question. I'm going to redo my temporary MIDI setup, just in case I did something daft and then will post there if I can't figure it out.

(Absolutely loving GR so far. If a v2 ever comes out with live sampling into a part, I'd pay double.)
I sold my electribe...i use grooverider with a launchpad pro and a faderfox pc4 ( killer)
Old 1 day ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

How do I import samples to this ?
And how do I use Ableton link ?
Old 1 day ago
  #23
Here for the gear
 

This is a great app, but is there a user manual for it anywhere ?
Also, how to use Ableton link ?
How do I import my own samples ?
Old 1 day ago
  #24
Old 1 day ago
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Grooverider MIDI controller integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnsl View Post
Grooverider all the way...using it with Launchpad pro and Faderfox Pc4...bye bye electribe
Was it easy to set up ?
I would like to do this using an iPhone 8.
Old 1 day ago
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Tnsl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xesionprince View Post
Was it easy to set up ?
I would like to do this using an iPhone 8.
Yes, if you plan using more than one midi controller, then you’ll need Aum or Audiobus
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump