The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bluetooth usb hub?
Old 16th May 2018
Bluetooth usb hub?

If this exists someone please show me

If it does not exist is there some reason for this, like it can’t feasibly be made for some reason? I realize it would need software to act like usb instead of a Bluetooth connection but I’ve seen similar things achieved with virtual drives and such.

This would be a dream come true. I have 2 USB ports on my MacBook and do audio editing. I HATE that I need 2 USB ports just for software license dongles. I also would rather not have things sticking out of the computer because I’m that guy who might bump the protruding drive and break my $50 iLok software key.

I want a rechargeable Bluetooth usb hub for use with devices like thumb drives that don’t take up much energy. I have searched high and low for this and have come up with nothing so far.

I did buy the “Belkin Network usb hub.” It doesn’t meet my needs because it’s bulky, requires WiFi configuration (IE: not for location editing), needs to be plugged in, and sometimes the connection drops out (as reported by many users).

My dream is to push a button on a Bluetooth usb hub, it connects to my MacBook and my thumb drives are mounted without having to plug anything in.

I know this so sort of a vent and not exactly perfectly on topic but hell, maybe it does exist and I’ve been looking in all the wrong places!

Thanks for listening and all that.

TL;DR: battery powered Bluetooth usb hub please.
Old 25th May 2018
Lives for gear

It would negate the speed of USB so its usefullness becomes very restricted, that would make it such a niche product it would only ever be developed by an independent, so it has basically zero market ability.
So when you google it add the keyword DIY, you may find an Arduino project or some such.

Personally i would just use one of the many USB over WIFI options, but then i wouldnt ever use an ilok, so maybe they wont work ?

But yeah, this is in the wrong forum anyway, ask for it to be moved to computers, youre likely to get more answers.
Old 26th May 2018
There is only one product I can find on the market made by Belkin but the drivers are outdated and it drops the connection intermittently according to the feedback I’ve been reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It would negate the speed of USB so its usefullness becomes very restricted, that would make it such a niche product it would only ever be developed by an independent, so it has basically zero market ability.
So when you google it add the keyword DIY, you may find an Arduino project or some such.

Personally i would just use one of the many USB over WIFI options, but then i wouldnt ever use an ilok, so maybe they wont work ?

But yeah, this is in the wrong forum anyway, ask for it to be moved to computers, youre likely to get more answers.
Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
If this exists someone please show me

If it does not exist is there some reason for this, like it can’t feasibly be made for some reason? I realize it would need software to act like usb instead of a Bluetooth connection but I’ve seen similar things achieved with virtual drives and such.
feel your pain bro

there are bluetooth storage options but it’s like going backwards in time in terms of file transfer speed. however it is portable so you could keep storage in your pocket and access via phone or computer or whatever

usb over bluetooth would be frustrating beyond belief

for a while i had a suction cup for mounting the dongles on the back of my screen but they truthfully didn’t work that great (the suction would fail then *plunk* sound of dongle falling)

i haven’t used the dongle lockboxes - their function looked practical so at least your dongles aren’t attached RIGHT to your laptop, and in theory you could lock it to something so it didn’t just walk off.

the reality is that dongles are way too big for what they do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search