The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ipad 2017 or 2018 models Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ipad 2017 or 2018 models

hey guys,
im totally new to ios. but i decided to get an ipad for cubase pro ic. i need an option to remote control my system and the newer 2017 and 2018 models are rather budged friendly.

yesterday i found cubasis - how cool. now im wondering which ipad to get when i want to record on the go. the new 2018 model is about 100€ more, but features the faster a10 processor. as said, i never used cubasis but im wondering if cpu speed is an issue.
can anyone report about cubasis cpu demands? will i benefit from the faster processor or does it not matter at all? i would not mind paying less but id hate to have lag and stability issues. i will use this for cubasis and ic pro only.

thanks a lot and sorry for being a total ios noob
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If your a keyboard player at all I'd get an iPad Pro .. it has 4gb of RAM vs 2gb on the 2018 which goes a long way using the excellent sounding synths and plugins available for IOS. I don't even use those 2 computers and 3 monitors full of DAW's and VST's in this pic anymore .. prefering the more simple and intimate workflow of Cubasis on the iPad. These things are addicting .. be forewarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonander View Post
hey guys,
im totally new to ios. but i decided to get an ipad for cubase pro ic. i need an option to remote control my system and the newer 2017 and 2018 models are rather budged friendly.

yesterday i found cubasis - how cool. now im wondering which ipad to get when i want to record on the go. the new 2018 model is about 100€ more, but features the faster a10 processor. as said, i never used cubasis but im wondering if cpu speed is an issue.
can anyone report about cubasis cpu demands? will i benefit from the faster processor or does it not matter at all? i would not mind paying less but id hate to have lag and stability issues. i will use this for cubasis and ic pro only.

thanks a lot and sorry for being a total ios noob
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

thanks for the reply. im not into vst instruments. just want to record demos outside of the studio and control my cubase via ic pro.
so i ordered a 2018 model with 128gb yesterday. im sure it will serve me well and it wasnt too much. still have to find a way to record on the go. i think ill give the apogee mic a try. its the most portable option i found. im sure i'll hate the sound - but for demos it should to. if too terrible ill get a one interface and a tlm102. but that kind of limits me to little battery life when not in reach of a power socket. ill report back...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks for the reply. im not into vst instruments. just want to record demos outside of the studio and control my cubase via ic pro.
so i ordered a 2018 model with 128gb yesterday. im sure it will serve me well and it wasnt too much. still have to find a way to record on the go. i think ill give the apogee mic a try. its the most portable option i found. im sure i'll hate the sound - but for demos it should to. if too terrible ill get a one interface and a tlm102. but that kind of limits me to little battery life when not in reach of a power socket. ill report back...
The Apogee MiC is very good. I bought one from a second hand store not expecting too much but was pleasantly surprised.

A $150 50000 mah powerpack is a good investment if you want to be on the go. I can power a lot of things from mine. Even some bluetooth speakers have USB outputs that can give a few hours of extra power.
Old 1 week ago
I can work 3-4 hrs on one charge with 5-8 apps open, but your mileage will vary depending on the apps you use. They power up pretty quickly, some interfaces will keep it charged too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
I can work 3-4 hrs on one charge with 5-8 apps open, but your mileage will vary depending on the apps you use. They power up pretty quickly, some interfaces will keep it charged too.
are you talking about the apogee mic?
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
are you talking about the apogee mic?
No, i misread your question. Thought you were asking about ipad batteries.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So did you get your 2018 yet? What a ya think since its a new platform for ya?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
So did you get your 2018 yet? What a ya think since its a new platform for ya?
yes i did. its great. not really a "new platform" for me since everything seems very limited. but its perfect for making demos at home instead of sitting in the dark studio all day. since i use cubasis i can then easily transfer to cubase. so im very happy with it.

only thing im missing would be some more au instruments of decent quality. drums especially. i was looking at all the offerings but none really appeals to me. id want something without much of an interface. basically an au unit with sounds only - multi layered. is there anything available?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yes i did. its great. not really a "new platform" for me since everything seems very limited. but its perfect for making demos at home instead of sitting in the dark studio all day. since i use cubasis i can then easily transfer to cubase. so im very happy with it.

only thing im missing would be some more au instruments of decent quality. drums especially. i was looking at all the offerings but none really appeals to me. id want something without much of an interface. basically an au unit with sounds only - multi layered. is there anything available?
You got it .. cool! Did you get a white or black one? I just got my first white one 2 weeks ago, I never liked white faced iPads in the past, but taste change I guess .. reminds me of some of my old Macs in a way (bottom pic are the two Macs I made my living with in the 80’s that are still in my closet .. at least they use to be white lol). Anyway you said in your post above “thanks for the reply. im not into vst instruments. just want to record demos outside of the studio and control my cubase via ic pro.” So when you say you are missing more au instruments I’m not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean typical ‘rompler’ type sounds as found on Korg, Roland, Kurzweil workstation keyboards? What styles of music do you write or play, that would help to steer you in the right direction.

There are literal ports of Korg instruments like the Wavestation and M1/T3, the Moog stuff is fantastic .. and I own their real world hardware counterparts. The PPG instruments are excellent and the stuff of dreams and millionaires back in the 80’s when I did this for a living. There is Sampletank which has some bread and butter sounds every bit as good as their counterparts on my computer with Kontakt. The Jordan Rudess apps sound killer, SynthMaster Player sounds killer, there is a Mellotron port with the actual Streetly samples, IK’s Syntronik, Arturia’s stuff is excellent, etc.etc. It just all depends what your doing.

More and more of these apps are being converted to AUv3 all the time, and the IAA is working pretty smoothly these days too. Yes the iPad is limited compared to a Mac or PC .. but that’s kinda the beauty of it for me (though I’d argue that Cubasis or Auria on the iPad is every bit as powerful and more as my two Macs in the 80’s running Opcode Studio Vision, and a lot of hits were made with these things lol) Like you it gets me out of my dark and cramped studio (picture below) and presents a whole different workflow that often sparks new creativity. The picture a few post above is my living room in my house .. I can kick back on the couch (just out of the picture in front of the white iPad), relax, hang out with guest (it’s a big couch lol), and noodle around with ideas on the many cool iPad apps and that little Roland A49 keyboard, or even run my whole computer DAW, VST synths, or hardware synths from the jump desktop iPad app.

With you using the computer Cubase your at an advantage, but you can also fly stems from Cubasis (or Auria which is even more pro than Cubasis) to any computer DAW of your choice quite painlessly. Anyway let us know the genre’s you work with and perhaps I or someone else reading this thread can suggest some useful apps for ya.

Last edited by cloudswimmer; 2 days ago at 06:39 PM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

thanks for your reply,
im not looking for synths. im looking for unprocessed acoustic drumsounds. think bfd in cubasis. i did find some stuff but it seemed more focused on pattern creation etc ... i just want the raw sounds for composing.

i might just build my own. is there an au sampler that can do multiple velocity layers?

cheers!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search