The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad Pro 2018 .. Your Thoughts Mobile Apps
Old 5th June 2018
Lives for gear

Something is wrong with your *presumptuous* and weasally tangential interrogatives. PLEASE. STOP. NOW. This BS is off-topic and your trolling is unappreciated.
Old 6th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
WHO CARES

Try writing some music in your head, then singing the idea into a tape recorder.
Fwiw the ipad pro makes a prett decent scratch pad.

In your example...after you record to tape, how do you mix down? How do you playback for your friends? Most tape recorders have rca out. And most consoles actually have rca in, often for that reason. Not that rca to 1/4” is that hard to find.

The only thing the ipad 12” is missing is force touch.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
To share my experience, with my iPad Pro and Audio.. I wanted to take a more serious approach to integrating iPad music into my DAW/Logic Pro. I wanted to merge iPad audio out.. with my hardware and software synths. Picked up an iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ and along with routing audio/MIDI from my hardware synths.. hooked up an iPad Pro. The iCM4+ came with a lightning-USB adapter, which I didn't use initially. I had been routing audio from my iPad headphone jack to a mixer (Yamaha MG10XU) to my Mac. This had worked for quite a while, and was functional. A few weeks ago though - I had the time, and inclination to follow the iConnectivity recomendation of using their lightning-USB connection for carrying the audio.. not the headphone jack.

It took a little effort to get things configured, but the difference in audio to Logic Pro can't be overstated. It's clear, it's noise-free, there is headroom, blah blah blah. It was game-changing for me. Seriously - my iPad apps now participate in my DAW as clean as my other hardware synths. Truly night-day difference.

So .. it was a $250 investment, ripping the cord from my headphone jack to my DAW. It also requires a DAW/Host processor to finish the coupling. It really beats the crap out of the audio I was getting from the headphone jack.

I still use the headphone audio out though, on occasion.. Taking my iPad pro to a local jam, with just a controller -- it was nice to have the option of providing a headphone->TRS jack output for the mixer. So a dongle would be necessary (I have an older iPad Pro.. which has the headphone jack... but the future one discussed above - maybe not so much).. in this instance, unless you want to haul a Mac and iCM4+, etc around..
Old 1 week ago
You can also bypass the need for the ICM4+ by using a lightening-to-thunderbolt.
Biggest issue with iPads is Apple. Getting sound, samples, any resources outside of the App Store are tricky to deal with.
To get sound out I've used the headphone jack on my iPad Pro 9.7. I still can't get the ICM4+ to route audio. I haven't settled on an interface for multiple outs to run line-in to my mixer, splitting that signal is pretty exciting. I may run my iPad as a separate aggregate device, in parallel with my hardware & input from Soundcraft mtk12.
But despite some technical issues, I think iPads are a great platform.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The biggest problem with iPads isn't Apple, its the extremely poor lack of knowledge of users who proclaim to know a lot at places like the Audiobus forum.

Unfortunately some old hippie that doesn't want a desktop but can play keyboards, uses an ipad and is proclaimed as the be all and end all of IOS knowledge, when in reality, they simply have no clue at all and blunder from one poor video tutorial to the next.

The most knowlegable place online for IOS music making right now is the Beatmaker forum.

Things like passing samples and content to your device are now super super simple, they even removed any restriction DJ apps have on their formats or storage, Apple are not the issue, idiots yes, terrible company yes, an issue, nope !!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search