The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad Pro 2018 .. Your Thoughts Keyboard Controllers
Old 5th June 2018
  #31
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 

Something is wrong with your *presumptuous* and weasally tangential interrogatives. PLEASE. STOP. NOW. This BS is off-topic and your trolling is unappreciated.
Old 6th June 2018
  #32
Lives for gear
 
crufty's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
WHO CARES

Try writing some music in your head, then singing the idea into a tape recorder.
Fwiw the ipad pro makes a prett decent scratch pad.

In your example...after you record to tape, how do you mix down? How do you playback for your friends? Most tape recorders have rca out. And most consoles actually have rca in, often for that reason. Not that rca to 1/4” is that hard to find.

The only thing the ipad 12” is missing is force touch.
Old 9th July 2018
  #33
Gear Maniac
To share my experience, with my iPad Pro and Audio.. I wanted to take a more serious approach to integrating iPad music into my DAW/Logic Pro. I wanted to merge iPad audio out.. with my hardware and software synths. Picked up an iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ and along with routing audio/MIDI from my hardware synths.. hooked up an iPad Pro. The iCM4+ came with a lightning-USB adapter, which I didn't use initially. I had been routing audio from my iPad headphone jack to a mixer (Yamaha MG10XU) to my Mac. This had worked for quite a while, and was functional. A few weeks ago though - I had the time, and inclination to follow the iConnectivity recomendation of using their lightning-USB connection for carrying the audio.. not the headphone jack.

It took a little effort to get things configured, but the difference in audio to Logic Pro can't be overstated. It's clear, it's noise-free, there is headroom, blah blah blah. It was game-changing for me. Seriously - my iPad apps now participate in my DAW as clean as my other hardware synths. Truly night-day difference.

So .. it was a $250 investment, ripping the cord from my headphone jack to my DAW. It also requires a DAW/Host processor to finish the coupling. It really beats the crap out of the audio I was getting from the headphone jack.

I still use the headphone audio out though, on occasion.. Taking my iPad pro to a local jam, with just a controller -- it was nice to have the option of providing a headphone->TRS jack output for the mixer. So a dongle would be necessary (I have an older iPad Pro.. which has the headphone jack... but the future one discussed above - maybe not so much).. in this instance, unless you want to haul a Mac and iCM4+, etc around..
Old 10th July 2018
  #34
You can also bypass the need for the ICM4+ by using a lightening-to-thunderbolt.
Biggest issue with iPads is Apple. Getting sound, samples, any resources outside of the App Store are tricky to deal with.
To get sound out I've used the headphone jack on my iPad Pro 9.7. I still can't get the ICM4+ to route audio. I haven't settled on an interface for multiple outs to run line-in to my mixer, splitting that signal is pretty exciting. I may run my iPad as a separate aggregate device, in parallel with my hardware & input from Soundcraft mtk12.
But despite some technical issues, I think iPads are a great platform.
Old 10th July 2018
  #35
Lives for gear
 

The biggest problem with iPads isn't Apple, its the extremely poor lack of knowledge of users who proclaim to know a lot at places like the Audiobus forum.

Unfortunately some old hippie that doesn't want a desktop but can play keyboards, uses an ipad and is proclaimed as the be all and end all of IOS knowledge, when in reality, they simply have no clue at all and blunder from one poor video tutorial to the next.

The most knowlegable place online for IOS music making right now is the Beatmaker forum.

Things like passing samples and content to your device are now super super simple, they even removed any restriction DJ apps have on their formats or storage, Apple are not the issue, idiots yes, terrible company yes, an issue, nope !!
Old 23rd July 2018
  #36
Gear Nut
 
shortyedwards's Avatar
 

The biggest problem with iPads isn't Apple, its the extremely poor lack of knowledge of users who proclaim to know a lot at places like the Audiobus forum.

Bungle, do you frequent the forum? I find them helpful and congenial.
Old 24th July 2018
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
The biggest problem with iPads isn't Apple, its the extremely poor lack of knowledge of users who proclaim to know a lot at places like the Audiobus forum.

Bungle, do you frequent the forum? I find them helpful and congenial.
Not anymore, if you try to help people with detailed info you are frowned upon, developers really dislike the place because of the "it costs more than £0.99 WTF" attitude.
Place is a box of crusty old farts
Old 24th July 2018
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
The biggest problem with iPads isn't Apple, its the extremely poor lack of knowledge of users who proclaim to know a lot at places like the Audiobus forum.

Bungle, do you frequent the forum? I find them helpful and congenial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Not anymore, if you try to help people with detailed info you are frowned upon, developers really dislike the place because of the "it costs more than £0.99 WTF" attitude.
Place is a box of crusty old farts

I've found them helpful and congenial as well.[/crusty old fart] I'll go back to my box.
Old 24th July 2018
  #39
Gear Nut
 
shortyedwards's Avatar
 

audiobus forum

hehehe I guess I'm one of those crusty old farts too. Unsure what the age limit is for getting crusty but I have the old part covered.

I guess I beg to differ, as I have gotten lengthy and helpful responses from users and developers. Alot of talk from users stepping up to promote and support dev's financially. I'm all for some of these apps costing more.

To each his own. Thanks!
Old 24th July 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've found them helpful and congenial as well.[/crusty old fart] I'll go back to my box.
Cool
Old 25th July 2018
  #41
Here for the gear
 

With no bezel like rumors are talking about on the upcoming new iPad Pro's, it would take a whole new stand setup that doesn't have those arm thingies that keep an iPad from sliding forward off the stand to be able to access everything at the bottom of the screen (like Auria faders for instance)
Old 25th July 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Anybody wants to see Audiobus in its true form, go read the subscription thoughts opinions thread.
No matter your thoughts on subscription, just go and read how users beleive that developers of £3 apps should provide free updates for years and that the money is rolling in.
That is their very usual entitled crapola, most of them moaned at £30 for Fabfilter Pro Q2 lol
Old 29th July 2018
  #43
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
To share my experience, with my iPad Pro and Audio.. I wanted to take a more serious approach to integrating iPad music into my DAW/Logic Pro. I wanted to merge iPad audio out.. with my hardware and software synths. Picked up an iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ and along with routing audio/MIDI from my hardware synths.. hooked up an iPad Pro. The iCM4+ came with a lightning-USB adapter, which I didn't use initially. I had been routing audio from my iPad headphone jack to a mixer (Yamaha MG10XU) to my Mac. This had worked for quite a while, and was functional. A few weeks ago though - I had the time, and inclination to follow the iConnectivity recomendation of using their lightning-USB connection for carrying the audio.. not the headphone jack.

It took a little effort to get things configured, but the difference in audio to Logic Pro can't be overstated. It's clear, it's noise-free, there is headroom, blah blah blah. It was game-changing for me. Seriously - my iPad apps now participate in my DAW as clean as my other hardware synths. Truly night-day difference.
Are you using a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5"? I'm also using an IConnectMidi4+, but with a high-powered Windows 10 PC, and my experience is the opposite of yours. When I use the audio through lightning connection, I get pops and crackles at times. My experience of the headphone jack is also the opposite -- I find it to be outstanding when using a good quality audio cable. So great, in fact, that I can perceive no difference in quality between it and the lightning connection.

I have read other reports that corroborate my experience, and this I believe is the true issue here with Apple removing the headphone jack. What is the quality of the lightning 3.5mm adapters out on the market now? Are they really up to speed with the current headphone jack in the 10.5" iPad Pro? If not, then it is not a viable option for anyone serious about their music. What if I want to use several iPads simultaneously? I have to buy an audio interface for each one now, if I want quality that is up to high standards? No thanks.
Old 29th July 2018
  #44
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseman View Post
Are you using a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5"? I'm also using an IConnectMidi4+, but with a high-powered Windows 10 PC, and my experience is the opposite of yours. When I use the audio through lightning connection, I get pops and crackles at times. My experience of the headphone jack is also the opposite -- I find it to be outstanding when using a good quality audio cable. So great, in fact, that I can perceive no difference in quality between it and the lightning connection.

I have read other reports that corroborate my experience, and this I believe is the true issue here with Apple removing the headphone jack. What is the quality of the lightning 3.5mm adapters out on the market now? Are they really up to speed with the current headphone jack in the 10.5" iPad Pro? If not, then it is not a viable option for anyone serious about their music. What if I want to use several iPads simultaneously? I have to buy an audio interface for each one now, if I want quality that is up to high standards? No thanks.
Interesting? yes. I am using iPad Model: MQDW2LL/A (just checked in Settings). The lightning connector I am using, is the one that came with the iCM4+.. not some other cable. The headphone jack I *had* been using was with a Hosa CMP-159.. which was providing stereo TRS to my mixer from my iPad's headphone jack. That -- was noisy.

There is a thread on the iConnectivity Audio forums ("How can I control my Audio output from iOS") where iConnectivity-Rodney described the audio path. I have since heard via PM, that his explanation may not be correct. That said though... going Lightning->USB audio instead of the headphone jack on my iPad Pro made a huge difference for me.

I am not disputing that you, or anyone else isn't having continued issues with iPad audio out. Only sharing what worked for me...
Old 29th July 2018
  #45
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
Interesting? yes. I am using iPad Model: MQDW2LL/A (just checked in Settings). The lightning connector I am using, is the one that came with the iCM4+.. not some other cable. The headphone jack I *had* been using was with a Hosa CMP-159.. which was providing stereo TRS to my mixer from my iPad's headphone jack. That -- was noisy.

There is a thread on the iConnectivity Audio forums ("How can I control my Audio output from iOS") where iConnectivity-Rodney described the audio path. I have since heard via PM, that his explanation may not be correct. That said though... going Lightning->USB audio instead of the headphone jack on my iPad Pro made a huge difference for me.

I am not disputing that you, or anyone else isn't having continued issues with iPad audio out. Only sharing what worked for me...
Ok, so I am using MPDY2LL/A, which is the same as yours except with 256GB memory. I wasn't trying to dispute your experience either, I just find it curious that your experience is different than mine and would like to know why. First of all, you're using a Mac, which could explain why you have a seamless experience. Maybe the iCM4+ drivers for Mac is better, or it's just some Apple magic at work there between two of their products.

The difference in our experience with the headphone jack might also be explained by the differences in cables. You were using a Hosa cable that was noisy, whereas I am using this one: Amazon.com: 3.5 to 2 X 6.35, J&D Gold-Plated [Copper Shell] [Heavy Duty] 3.5mm 1/8" TRS Male to 2 x 6.35mm 1/4" TS Male Mono Cable Splitter with Zinc Alloy Housing and Nylon Braid for iPhone, Amplifiers - 6 Feet: Home Audio & Theater

I was also using a Hosa cable to begin with, and although it wasn't noisy, I still don't think it was quite up to par with the one I'm using now.

I'm beginning to think it's better to rely on hardware, at least for live use. A $3500 Model D is a better investment than the equivalent iPad app, even though I've found through back to back comparisons that the app is sonically a Model D in every way. This is because I'm confidant that my hardware Model D will last the rest of my life, whereas who knows if we'll even be able to use MIDI keyboards with the iPads on the market in a decade. There will certainly be a point where iPads and iPhones will have no ports and no cables, everything will be wireless, and what kind of audio quality and connectivity options will musicians have then? If it's ever reconciled, how many years will it take for the technology on Apple's side, and the technology on the music hardware industry's side, to catch up to the high audio quality that we currently have?
Old 29th July 2018
  #46
Gear Maniac
Yeah, the cable you are using looks like a step up from the Hosa. Maybe that was the difference. You may be also be right, in that staying in the Apple ecosystem (Mac) might be making a difference.. dunno. As far as the idea of using HW synths vs. iOS apps.. I sort of agree. I would be nervous about using an iOS music app, without another synth at the ready, as failover. In fact... i did just that a couple of summers ago. Was playing an outdoor casual gig, thinking how clever I was - for planning on using an iPad for playing pads in one of our songs. It was first song in a set... thank gawd. Coming back from a break, my iPad had gone to sleep, the app was frozen.. and I had seconds to get things figured out. Thankfully.. It was just to be used for pads, and I had an FA-06 at the ready. I nearly tossed the iPad out, that night. Never... ever.. have I had an occasion to use an iPad live again. Sort of testing the waters now, with the iConnectivity stuff..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseman View Post
Ok, so I am using MPDY2LL/A, which is the same as yours except with 256GB memory. I wasn't trying to dispute your experience either, I just find it curious that your experience is different than mine and would like to know why. First of all, you're using a Mac, which could explain why you have a seamless experience. Maybe the iCM4+ drivers for Mac is better, or it's just some Apple magic at work there between two of their products.

The difference in our experience with the headphone jack might also be explained by the differences in cables. You were using a Hosa cable that was noisy, whereas I am using this one: Amazon.com: 3.5 to 2 X 6.35, J&D Gold-Plated [Copper Shell] [Heavy Duty] 3.5mm 1/8" TRS Male to 2 x 6.35mm 1/4" TS Male Mono Cable Splitter with Zinc Alloy Housing and Nylon Braid for iPhone, Amplifiers - 6 Feet: Home Audio & Theater

I was also using a Hosa cable to begin with, and although it wasn't noisy, I still don't think it was quite up to par with the one I'm using now.

I'm beginning to think it's better to rely on hardware, at least for live use. A $3500 Model D is a better investment than the equivalent iPad app, even though I've found through back to back comparisons that the app is sonically a Model D in every way. This is because I'm confidant that my hardware Model D will last the rest of my life, whereas who knows if we'll even be able to use MIDI keyboards with the iPads on the market in a decade. There will certainly be a point where iPads and iPhones will have no ports and no cables, everything will be wireless, and what kind of audio quality and connectivity options will musicians have then? If it's ever reconciled, how many years will it take for the technology on Apple's side, and the technology on the music hardware industry's side, to catch up to the high audio quality that we currently have?
Old 30th July 2018
  #47
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoo View Post
Yeah, the cable you are using looks like a step up from the Hosa. Maybe that was the difference. You may be also be right, in that staying in the Apple ecosystem (Mac) might be making a difference.. dunno. As far as the idea of using HW synths vs. iOS apps.. I sort of agree. I would be nervous about using an iOS music app, without another synth at the ready, as failover. In fact... i did just that a couple of summers ago. Was playing an outdoor casual gig, thinking how clever I was - for planning on using an iPad for playing pads in one of our songs. It was first song in a set... thank gawd. Coming back from a break, my iPad had gone to sleep, the app was frozen.. and I had seconds to get things figured out. Thankfully.. It was just to be used for pads, and I had an FA-06 at the ready. I nearly tossed the iPad out, that night. Never... ever.. have I had an occasion to use an iPad live again. Sort of testing the waters now, with the iConnectivity stuff..
Interesting live experience, although not surprising. I was kind of dreaming of a scenario that could liberate me spatially and financially, where I could have a few iPads and a few select pieces of hardware, yet still not have to compromise on sound quality or quantity of great synths. My small studio wouldn't be cramped, it would be easy to carry everything between gigs, and I would have patch memory for everything making it easy to transition between songs. I would able to integrate the sound of unobtainable $10,000 synths like the Model 15 into my setup, and amazing synths that aren't found in hardware or VST like Animoog.

But it's just not future proof. Case in point -- I have three MIDI keyboards -- a Qunexus, a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII, and an Arturia Keystep. The only one that works with my iPad is the Keystep...
Old 30th July 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Lets be fair here, you had an issue because you didnt set the ipad up to not sleep on a live gig, and then blame the ipad.
This is actually the most common complaint i see in IOS “ I made a mistake, the ipad did not work out that i had mad a mistake, ipad for music is terrible” it is as if moving away from a desktop computer somehow makes the ipad a full AI system that knows what you want at any given moment, and when it doesn’t “F*** you ipad” lol
Old 30th July 2018
  #49
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Lets be fair here, you had an issue because you didnt set the ipad up to not sleep on a live gig, and then blame the ipad.
This is actually the most common complaint i see in IOS “ I made a mistake, the ipad did not work out that i had mad a mistake, ipad for music is terrible” it is as if moving away from a desktop computer somehow makes the ipad a full AI system that knows what you want at any given moment, and when it doesn’t “F*** you ipad” lol
Totally correct. It was my own mistake with the iPad going to sleep... and frankly, me not being familiar enough with it at the time, to get things back up and working. Panic played a part, too. :D My point wasn't that the iPad/iOS is terrible - but to consider power management, and a myriad other things (auto-updates, etc..) when using one for live play).. and have a backup at the ready.
Old 31st July 2018
  #50
Lives for gear
 

Yes a second iPad is a good idea, but i have had more issues live with dirtyelectric supplies messing with hardware than i have ever had with an ipad, mainly becauuse i run them on their battery, 4-6 hours is long enough for any live gig and you should easily get that even under stress.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump