The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland SP808(like) app for iOS Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 27th January 2018
  #1
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Roland SP808(like) app for iOS

I love my sp808, I love it soo much that I am trying to develop a new hardware version of it with some modern touches. That project involves hardware,linux and python and I am currently at a roadblock.

So I originally wanted to do this with the ipad and I have decided that I will. So waiting on MacBook to arrive so I can get started with Swift/xcode programming.

The idea is to have samples/loops load into pads just like sp808 does. Not necessarily to finger drum but rather to fire off loops. I am also waiting to hear back from Samplr developer to see if I can use their product with mine. For those who don't know what Samplr does check out some YT vids, it lets you manipulate the sound wave graphically in realtime. What a combo that would be !!!

This project is probably a year out or more. I haven't given up on my hardware version of the sp808 either, I am still learning Python but I am getting to the more complex part of the code. The kool thing about learning to code is that Python and Swift have some similarities. But Swift when I watched some of the tutorials has some features looks to make it easier to program.

So as my brain explodes stay tuned !!!!
Old 27th January 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

I actually thought about developing a "groovebox" app for iPad that works closely with an existing hardware interface. The Arturia SparkLe is a great potential controller but I couldn't find (or didn't dig deep enough) a way to turn the x0x step buttons on/off through midi/sysex.

Just work on building a midi controller with all the pads/lights you need and use an iPad for the actual brains. If you use the JUCE framework you can build an app/plugin that can be used on desktop and on mobile. But then you'll be developing in C/C++ most likely. I would avoid Swift.
Old 28th January 2018
  #3
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well I am currently using Python to code with and I am also dabbling into Pure Data. I have the ability to convert my looper project(hardware) to a midi controller but I was trying to go direct just like a normal synthesizer does like example a Korg M1. You hit a key and there is almost zero latency. With midi controllers you run into latency problems. But this is where it gets complex.

Going with Swift and developing an app for iPad to do what I want seems to be an easier method. I watched a few Swift tutorials that now that I have been using Python I can tell it would be easier to learn. Hence all the apps that you see available for iPad because the Swift is easy to learn.

Python being the first programming language I have learned and still learning is actually not that hard to learn but not that easy either. I will still learn it and try to finish my hardware version but I am really thinking that app would probably be the way I really want to go , also once the app is done I will incorporate it into my hardware project. I even thought about taking the guts of an iPad and putting it into a hardware controller box which in that case would be midi controller.
Old 30th January 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
The idea is to have samples/loops load into pads just like sp808 does. Not necessarily to finger drum but rather to fire off loops.
Love my sp808. Bought it almost as soon as it came out, added the OP-1 card and updated it with the EX software and 250mb Zip drive. Still a killer machine.

There are tons of apps that do this and much more, so lots of competition. Novation Launchpad has been my favorite since it launched in 2013. It's on version 4 now, so that shows you need frequent updates and you make money by selling loop packs.

Many, many others have tried this route and given up -- Retronyms' Hook was a super ambitious project from sn established developer that even included optional hardware. Launched in 2016, made one update a couple of weeks later, then Hook fell silent. That's what happens with most developers because they put in a ton of work then get very few, if any, customers and so they give up.

So check out what's new in the app store. You might find what you want.

I hope the Samplr developer gets back to you. Everybody wants them to update it to 64-bit so it doesn't vanish forever. Hasn't been updated in 3 years so the likelihood is low. Fingers crossed!

And good luck with your app. Make something kickass!
Old 31st January 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Beatmaker already does everything my SP808 can do, what is needed on IOS is something like Acid Pro, so we can do loop painting.

Let me know if you want to buy an SP808
Old 4th February 2018
  #6
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post

There are tons of apps that do this and much more, so lots of competition. Novation Launchpad has been my favorite since it launched in 2013.

I hope the Samplr developer gets back to you. Everybody wants them to update it to 64-bit so it doesn't vanish forever. Hasn't been updated in 3 years so the likelihood is low. Fingers crossed!

And good luck with your app. Make something kickass!
Yes I just discovered that Launchpad is the closest to work somewhat like the 808, however I just find it not to be as responsive as I like, this might be due to the fact that I have the older iPad air2 and likely needs the screen replaced.

Unfortunately the Samplr dev has not responded to any of my emails.

I totally get why dev's abandon their apple apps, because Apple charges them $100 a year to be able to sell their apps on the store. Most devs won't even make their $100 fee back from sales so most likely move on, even though they created some kool apps. Like the dev for Loopacks, I love his app, if I could load my own files and sync to midi I wouldn't need anything else but alas he has disappeared to.

The Mac Book pro should hopefully show up today and I can start digging into Swift coding
Old 4th February 2018
  #7
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Beatmaker already does everything my SP808 can do, what is needed on IOS is something like Acid Pro, so we can do loop painting.

Let me know if you want to buy an SP808
I have not seen one video that shows Beatmaker doing what an sp808 can do, which is load a loop to a pad and loop it seamlessly and repeatedly. In fact out of all my research only Launchpad does it.

I already have 2 sp808's and a mc-909 which I haven't even dug into the sampler yet, I hear it is quite good. But thanx anyways
Old 4th February 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
I have not seen one video that shows Beatmaker doing what an sp808 can do, which is load a loop to a pad and loop it seamlessly and repeatedly. In fact out of all my research only Launchpad does it.

I already have 2 sp808's and a mc-909 which I haven't even dug into the sampler yet, I hear it is quite good. But thanx anyways
Beatmaker does that fine, load loop to a scene and trigger it on a pad, seamlessly and on repeat, done.

Just because there is no video does not mean it cant be done, most Beatmaker experts (video makers) know very little about it.
Old 10th February 2018
  #9
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well just tried Beathawk and wasted my money. I do like how I can sample the sound and lay it out over a keyboard but no looping capabilties even though you can buy loops from UVI he gives you no way of making your own.

I have been afraid to pull the plug on Beatmaker 3 because when you say load a scene Mr.Bungles that kinda scares me. So what does that mean load a scene?
Can a scene be made up of individual loops and then you load that to the pads and then can I press pads and they play the loop seamlessly ?

Also on my IOS programming adventure I screwed up and bought an Macbook that is too old to use the programming software with and no way to update...Apple and their freaking proprietary BS!!!
Old 11th February 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

I didnt say load a scene, i said load a loop to a scene, so drag n drop it, then trigger it, done.
Personally i would advise you to just make what you want if you have the ability, you will know it inside out then.
Old 14th February 2018
  #11
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well according to BM3 manual and the BM3 forums, what I asked cannot be done.

Yes you can put a loop on a pad and you can play it but you would have to hold the pad to play continuously. According to what I was told on the BM3 forums

:-(
Old 15th February 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Well according to BM3 manual and the BM3 forums, what I asked cannot be done.

Yes you can put a loop on a pad and you can play it but you would have to hold the pad to play continuously. According to what I was told on the BM3 forums

:-(
That is Absolute nonsense, and you got a reply at their forum telling you how to do it, you should check before posting misinformation.
Old 16th February 2018
  #13
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Yes you are correct someone did post and the gentleman who told me it couldn't be done admitted his mistake as I will also. So one more time because even though the one guy said it could be done I kinda was a lil confused by his answer.

So I will be able to hit a pad and it plays the loop(latches) and plays til I hit it again to stop it while in scene mode?
Old 16th February 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 

As explained to you very clearly at their forum on the two different threads you posted to.
You will load the sample in to a slot in a scene (Drag n drop) then you can put the pads in scene mode and trigger those scenes (Latched)
Pressing the pad again will not stop the sample, you will need to do that with the scene stop button.

So the trick is to use the scene screen instead of the scene pad mode.
This way you can trigger/stop and layer latched loops at will.

However there is no MIDI support for the scene screen currently, you will have to use the touchscreen.
If you wish to get MIDI support then the best app for doing so, that does also do pretty much what the SP808 does is LoopTunes HD, which is written by the person who originally wrote the Akai MPC Studio software, that also has a DJ mode where you can load entire songs and trigger them synced too.
Old 16th February 2018
  #15
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Looptunes is sooo horrid, Oh I am pissed , I am done with iPad apps, I will not buy another app EVER **** that crap!!!

Looptunes is not a playable looper the lag when hitting a pad is almosta full second before the loop plays.
Old 16th February 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Looptunes is sooo horrid, Oh I am pissed , I am done with iPad apps, I will not buy another app EVER **** that crap!!!

Looptunes is not a playable looper the lag when hitting a pad is almosta full second before the loop plays.
Total crap, you obviously have no idea what you are doing and want to blame the software for your lack of knowledge.
Old 16th February 2018
  #17
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Dude the task is simple,load loop,tap pad it plays instantly. Looptune there is nearly a second delay before a sound even plays. Not to mention some of the loops had very noticeable click. Maybe ur right there is a setting somewhere but I didn,t see one.
Old 17th February 2018
  #18
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Ok,there is a setting for one shot and it is pretty tight as far as lag goes. sorry jumped the gun. But still no latching :-(

My search continues
Old 18th February 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 

May i suggest you go and use an SP808, if you cant even latch a loop in Looptunes (Notice the name) then there really is no hope.
Old 21st February 2018
  #20
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
May i suggest you go and use an SP808, if you cant even latch a loop in Looptunes (Notice the name) then there really is no hope.
Did you even need to go there dude? Would be better if you didn't say anything if we can't keep it positive. And sorry if there is latching in looptunes enlighten me !!
Old 21st February 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Did you even need to go there dude? Would be better if you didn't say anything if we can't keep it positive. And sorry if there is latching in looptunes enlighten me !!
How is it even possible to keep it positive when you claim everything cant do xyz because you are incapable of either reading a manual or following simple instructions, you are the negative one here.
Old 22nd February 2018
  #22
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Well are you going to enlighten us with how LoopTunes latches or just keep saying I can't read or follow instructions?
Old 22nd February 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Actually there is no 'us' just you, the default trigger option in Looptunes is latched, but because i have already told you how to do it in Beatmaker and you either ignored it or couldnt follow simple instructions, no i wont enlighten YOU.
Old 1st March 2018
  #24
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Actually there is no 'us' just you, the default trigger option in Looptunes is latched, but because i have already told you how to do it in Beatmaker and you either ignored it or couldnt follow simple instructions, no i wont enlighten YOU.
Whatever , yes the default trigger option in Looptunes is latched but its latched to the internal clock. So it is not the same type of latching like a sp808 does. And yes I understand what you are saying in BM3 latches when in scene mode in fact here is a quote from BM3 forum

"Yes just use scene view to trigger, you can just tap the sample and it will play, hit stop and it will stop at the end of the current loop."

Note the keywords "hit stop" on the sp808 you don't hit stop to stop the playing of a pad , you hit the pad itself.

The way BM3 does it if I hit more than one pad and I want to stop one pad I would hit a stop button which would stop both is that correct?

Last edited by ZipSnipe; 1st March 2018 at 01:55 PM..
Old 1st March 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 

You do realise that an email is sent with the original post right (even though you edit it after) so you call me a dick and then expect more answers hahahahaha, you are hilarious, you have no idea about Latching clocks or BM3.
I actually help everybody normally, but you, nope hahahahaha.
Old 2nd March 2018
  #26
Beatmaker3 is close. ReSlice is a good sampler too.
Old 2nd March 2018
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Beatmaker does that fine, load loop to a scene and trigger it on a pad, seamlessly and on repeat, done.

Just because there is no video does not mean it cant be done, most Beatmaker experts (video makers) know very little about it.
I just tried this in Beatmaker3, worked great.
Old 2nd March 2018
  #28
Gear Nut
 
ZipSnipe's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratcher View Post
I just tried this in Beatmaker3, worked great.
Now can you load 2 or 3 loops to pads , play them at the same time and then stop one loop while the others continue?
Old 2nd March 2018
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Now can you load 2 or 3 loops to pads , play them at the same time and then stop one loop while the others continue?
yes, yes you can, repeat, yes, yes you can, get it yet you infantile little name calling fool, when people offer you help take it, don't act like you know everything and then start throwing names.
Old 2nd March 2018
  #30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Now can you load 2 or 3 loops to pads , play them at the same time and then stop one loop while the others continue?
Might be easier if you post an example of what you want to do. Sounds like Bungle has tried it and has been answering your questions for days. Im trying it now- I have two samples loaded to two pads, they currently play over each other. If I set both pads to the same “choke group”, one pads playback will be stopped when I play the second. Pg26 of the manual: https://intua.net/downloads/BM3_Manual.pdf
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump