The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nominate your favourite Android apps for music production
Old 2nd November 2017
News Desk Editor

Mobile devices are getting more powerful each day, with unprecedented capabilities that has effectively turned our cellphones and tablets into devices that surpasses a regular desktop or laptop computer from just a few years ago and now they can actually be very useful when it comes to music production. With that in mind, we'd like to ask:

What are your favourite Android apps for music production?

We're considering "production" in its broadest sense, so you can nominate anything that enables you to record and produce music on your mobile device: multi-track recorders, virtual amps, synths, sequencers, controllers and so forth.

Simply reply here your favourites, and if you have the time please tell us how are you taking advantage of mobile devices. Do they play an important role on your work? Is it integrated to a larger setup or are you using those apps on their own as 'sketchpads' or for pre-production, etc? Are you happy with 'the droid' when it comes to producing music or are you considering 'biting that apple'? Please share your experience!

PS: Not the droids you're looking for? Check out our sister thread for Apple iOS devices.

PS #2: Check out our previous and current nominations for more of the best studio gear!
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Nut

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio. It gives me almost all the features of any Desktop DAW, on my mobile phone, which I carry in my pocket! I use it as a sketchpad, but complete music production is possible using it.
Old 5th November 2017
Here for the gear

Old 5th November 2017
Geariophile

DaTuner Pro
Old 7th November 2017
G-Stomper Rhythm is really good, ridiculously well-featured drum machine with sampling and doesn't melt my poor 2015 Moto X.

G-Stomper Studio is also cool, but for a phone it's a bit too cramped.
Old 19th November 2017
Gear Maniac

- Drumjam: Stunning drum kits that in my opinion can be confidently used inside any pop/rock/funk mix for drum tracking duties. The ride cymbals/crashes in particular are some of the best i've heard.

- Thumbjam: Made by the same company. Again, very usable sounds right here, not just a toy.

- IGrand

- Ilectric
Old 19th November 2017
Lives for gear

G-Sromper studio and Caustic
Old 7th December 2017
For me, it was Caustic all day, all night, seven times on Thursdays. I also had G-Stomper, but the only real advantage it had over Caustic (for me) was the keyboard, which had the pitch bend and mod 'wheels'. Not having them on Caustic forced me to improve my step recording chops on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 touchscreen. (Some of you might know that this tablet was NOT OTG-compatible.) So once I found out how to create bends for bass lines and chords, that's when I left G-Stomper alone. Rej (the lone developer of the app itself) kept us abreast of all the beta builds and folks like Jason Blann (EIPStudiosOhio) dropped incredible sound packs to keep us Warriors sated.

Still, I saw how incredible iOS- and Mac-based music apps and programs were, and one of my best friends was unabashedly pro-Apple, so I took him up on the challenge to ditch 'Droid, and I've been REALLY pleased with what I've seen and played around with. I'll bless that thread in a moment, but I'll finish here saying that I still mess around with Caustic now for nostalgic purposes and to make stems from the older songs to reference as I remake them using iOS or Mac stuff.

Last edited by phatmaddness919; 7th December 2017 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Change of Content for Clarity
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Nut

Copied from the iOS thread but also relevant here:

In the "utility" rater than actual "sound generation" dept, but still an excellent tool:

iRealB

For chord charts and "on the fly" backing tracks that can be used instead of the dreaded click.

Actually more useful on Android.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

people actually use phones to make music?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
people actually use phones to make music?
Sure why not ? This tune was entirely made on an iphone 4 ( ahh nostalgia ), except the vocals which were "added" using a DAW:

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search