The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nominate your favourite iOS apps for music production Mobile Apps
Old 2nd November 2017
News Desk Editor

Nominate your favourite iOS apps for music production

Nominate your favourite iOS apps for music production!

Apple's mobile devices are now more powerful than ever before. The current and even recent iPhones and iPads are basically as capable as iMacs & MacBooks from just a few years ago and today iOS devices are more than adequate for many music recording and production tasks. With that in mind, we'd like to ask:

What are your favourite iOS apps for music production?

We're considering "music production" in its broadest sense, so you can nominate anything that enables you to record and produce music with your mobile device: multi-track recorders, virtual amps, synths, sequencers, controllers, drum machines and so on.

Simply reply here with your favourites, and if you have the time please tell us how are you taking advantage of your iOS devices. Are they an important part of your work? Are they integrated to a larger setup or are you using those apps on their own as sketchpads and preproduction tools? Please share your experiences!

PS: Not an iDevice user? Check out our sister thread for Android devices.

PS #2: Check out our previous and current nominations for more of the best studio gear!
Old 3rd November 2017
Caustic for backing tracks
Sunrizer & Thor, despite the fact they are getting old, always sound great.
iMS-20, for getting me interested in working on an iPad.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Korg module
Modstep
Midiflow
Apple voice memos
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Yeah, Voice Memo is crazy.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Addict

Funkbox - Classic drum machines, step sequencer, MIDI clock source
Animoog/Model 15 - Moog sounds with touch screen expression
Flux:FX - Adrian Belew FX app with several styles of looping
Guitarism - iOS MIDI controller that you can play like a guitar
Garageband - Free, stable and easy to use DAW
Fiddlicator - Load guitar cab IR’s
Mellotron M3000HD - Authentic Mellotron sounds
Old 8th November 2017
Here for the gear
I'm producing all my iPad music fully in Korg Gadget, so that's an obvious nomination for me A combination of a good sequencer, awesome sounds and a wide variety of devices does it for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Funkbox - Classic drum machines, step sequencer, MIDI clock source
Animoog/Model 15 - Moog sounds with touch screen expression
Flux:FX - Adrian Belew FX app with several styles of looping
Guitarism - iOS MIDI controller that you can play like a guitar
Garageband - Free, stable and easy to use DAW
Fiddlicator - Load guitar cab IR’s
Mellotron M3000HD - Authentic Mellotron sounds
Thanks for mentioning that mellotron app. It's great. Do you know what keyboard can I use with the lightning/USB adapter to play this app rather than playing it just in the iPad?

Thanks again
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Thanks for mentioning that mellotron app. It's great. Do you know what keyboard can I use with the lightning/USB adapter to play this app rather than playing it just in the iPad?

Thanks again
any class compliant usb midi keyboard or

any midi keyboard plugged into any class compliant usb audio/midi interface
Old 4 weeks ago
Another vote for Korg's Gadget. Some of the gadgets are better sounding than others, but the environment is such that I'm as productive as ever in iOS.
I'd also nominate AudioShare for audio file management.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Gadget is really good, i should have listed that too. But voice memos gets the most use!
Old 4 weeks ago
Music Memos (instant song maker!)
Garageband (of course)
Model 15 (Wonderful emulation and big phat sounds)
Korg Gadget (great fun)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Memo
GB
Moogs are deeeep
Sunrizer
Flux:Fx
Samplr
Well, that makes 6 favourites, not one
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've got to put garageband forward. It really is intuitive to use and does a surprising amount
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Auria.
I have nearly stopped using my Mac and Logic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Duet Display

Turns an iPad (or an iPhone) into a second display for your Mac (or PC) so you don't have to buy a second screen.

Excellent.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Auria Pro.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think I’m having the most fun programming the Moog Model 15. The sound is so much more analog sounding than any other iOS synth I’ve used. I can now host it within Cubasis as AU and automation is rocking.

I know it’s old, but Waldorf Nave is the other iOS synth that keeps me occupied. The range of sounds you can create is unbelievable. And it’s fast now on my new iPad Pro.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Moog Model 15
Kymatica Audioshare
Kymatica AUM
Olympia Noise Co. Patterning
Marcos Alonzo Samplr

I thought when I bought my iPad that I would use it for sequencing and recording but I've found the whole iOS music making process frustrating. I spent an hour today trying to get a drum app to sync with a loop. IAA, au, audiobus, cck, link, jittery timing, missing transport controls, lack of ram...it's like going back in time to the 1990s. When I think of the iPad as a interesting loop maker and a decent sound module I enjoy it more.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have Auria Pro, Cubasis and GarageBand. Auria Pro is by far the most comprehensive DAW on IOS at the moment. GarageBand is ok for very quick rough backing tracks but for music production Auria Pro is in a different league.

I also have IK’s SampleTank for general bread and butter sounds.

For pianos the Ravenscroft 275 is my favourite.

Neo Soul Keys have a great app for Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Clavinet etc

Notion is a fantastic music scoring program and Final Touch is useful for quick mastering.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Beatmaker 3
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Rec tools unlimited
Multitrack DAW
Nanostudio
Cubasis
Caustic
Sunrizer
Twisted waves
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It’s funny to see Beatmaker 3 not get much support here, how vastly different these forums are to actual IOS forums.
Been noticing the same thing in other parts of the forum too, very watered down sectioning.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Korg Gadget (and all the IAP's)- for me, this app has the most transparent workflow for the creative process. It's simple, yet intuitive interface and automation combined with the limitations of the environment remove the unlimited temptations of a desktop setup with thousands of sounds/options.

Twisted audio editor- Because everybody needs a wav editor. This one in particular has a good touch interface and can convert sounds to many different formats.

Final Touch- Mastering. With a little practice, you can get very good results from this app.

Audioshare- My Swiss army knife. This app makes the iPad a central sound repository. Being hardware based for so many years, I needed something to facilitate getting external sounds in to IOS. This fits that bill quite nicely.

Honorable mention to Cubasis and Auria Pro.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
...how vastly different these forums are to actual IOS forums.
Been noticing the same thing in other parts of the forum too, very watered down sectioning.

You ain't kiddin' here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It’s funny to see Beatmaker 3 not get much support here, how vastly different these forums are to actual IOS forums.
BM3 is good, I do use it a lot but...

I don’t really like a lot of things about it and I’m not going to lie and say it’s one of my favourite apps. It got my support when I bought the app.
Old 1 week ago
Same, for my part the reason I didn't add it is that I just don't think it's that great.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Cubasis and GarageBand
Old 5 days ago
I had started a school for audio engineering where I was given a MacBook Retina Pro, Pro Tools 11, Ableton Live Standard and Logic Pro X. It took me a minute to learn it well enough to "make it do what it do" for my purposes, but I'm happy to have left the Android arena for the most part when it comes to full-fledged music production. What truly did it for me, though, was when my pro-Apple friend and fellow beatmaker hipped me to the iPad. iMPC Pro, iMaschine 2 and BeatHawk were among the first apps I got, and I've added Patterning, BM3 and iSpark since then. I'm still learning them all; every tool in the toolbox has its specific purpose for me, so I'm glad to have them all, but...GARAGEBAND has been IT for me after I stopped sleeping on it for so long, thinking it was just some low-budget loop-based version of Logic. You can't beat FREE, though, so it's a great find for me.

AudioShare is also nice because I never was a fan of Apple's hierarchy of file management, but I'm seeing a lot of votes for Voice Memo, so ya'll done made me go see if I already have it or can get on the cheap. Good lookin' out...
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Would Logic count? That would decimate the competition. That would be like an M1 tank nominated as the most effective mobile armor unit.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

In the "utility" rater than actual "sound generation" dept, but still an excellent tool:

iRealB

For chord charts and "on the fly" backing tracks that can be used instead of the dreaded click.
Mentioned Products
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search