The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So you want an iPad?
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
So you want an iPad?

Ok maybe you are like me and you want to venture in to iPad land. In my case I was looking for a portable sampler and the iPad fit that bill perfectly.

Ok taking the plunge, I went after the cheapest route I could for the most power. I ended up with a used but new condition with minor scratch on screen iPad Air 2, 2 gig ram and 64 gig storage off Ebay $230 shipped. Now just for the record I could have went cheaper with say iPad 2nd gen but I have always been a power user so I know more ram is just the way to go. I really don't think I will be running more than 1-3 apps at any given time.

Getting started on the iPad was easy enough, it makes you set up a password or 4 digit passcode to log in, i went with the passcode for ease of use. While I was setting up it did say my registration did not complete but after turning it off and then on, I was in no problems. Then you want to set yourself up in the app store again not too difficult there either, just take your time and read stuff.

The first app I chose is the very complicated but extremely unique Fieldscaper sampling app ($10) Its complicated but so damn interesting , the way it saves files is tedious so this best used with another sampler, I will probably run audio out from the iPad to my Roland SP808.

The next app LaunchPad from Novation (FREE....kinda) I am loving this app, it comes loaded with about 6 different genres of loops and samples and you can buy more or if you want to use your own upgrade for $7 well worth it in my opinion.

Ok those are just the 2 apps I am messing with now I am hooked. Now I want to get audio in and out, run midi in and out and most importantly battery powered. Here is where it gets hard to choose. The two interfaces I am looking at are the Behringer iSTUDIO and the Zoom U-24. I am leaning towards the Behringer because it offers a lil more flexibility however I will need an 30pin to lightning adapter to use it and my pad will stick out an inch more than normal not a deal breaker. But the Zoom also would fit the bill. I would need a female to female usb adapter but not a big deal.

Also a cheap controller so I am not messing the iPad screen up by pounding on it. The korg nanoKontrol2 or the cheaper Akai LPD8 wireless looks like it fits the bill. Both are bluetooth a huge plus, the Akai runs off batteries so I am most likely going with that one and maybe the Korg one down the road.

Ok well thats it for now Good luck !!
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would skip any 30 pin devices, even if it will function with an adapter.

Also be sure to watch out for deals like discount iTunes gift cards...4 or 5 times a year there's companies that sell them 15% off on eBay (yes it's legit) and sometimes Costco.

Korg apps also go on sale around 50% off like 4 times a year...including right now....

Audio Damage apps all are recommended though you'll want a host like Beatmaker 3 or GarageBand (free).
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If "portable sampler" is your priority, you owe it to yourself to dig into Beatmaker 3.
Old 22nd August 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

No. I want an ice cream.
Old 24th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If "portable sampler" is your priority, you owe it to yourself to dig into Beatmaker 3.
Absolutely. It's pretty much what you wish iMPC was like. The sampling and sample editing is first class.

Just my opinion but I would not be worried about playing the iPad screen. It is unrivalled as a control surface and what makes the iPad so powerful for music. I'd choose it over every MPE device on the market today.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
No. I want an ice cream.
Um, I think you mean an iCE Cream.

fb
Old 24th August 2017
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
i have the Fairlight App - like the old hardware Sampler / iMaschine .. i will take a look at Beatmaker 3 for sampling too .. thx for that recon !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i have the Fairlight App - like the old hardware Sampler / iMaschine .. i will take a look at Beatmaker 3 for sampling too .. thx for that recon !!!

iMaschine is cool for quick-n-dirty. Great sounds in its huge library and nice interface. But Beatmaker 3 has the tools necessary for pro level work.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
iMaschine is cool for quick-n-dirty. Great sounds in its huge library and nice interface. But Beatmaker 3 has the tools necessary for pro level work.
awesome, thx .. will check it out ...
Old 25th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can I edit a loop to the BPM? like I can with say a Roland sp808. In other words as you are trimming a sample does it show you in BPM. That is one of the key features I am looking for.

So far all the videos i have seen, people are loading already processed loops. I want to be able to record drum beats and anything else I can turn into a loop
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
Can I edit a loop to the BPM? like I can with say a Roland sp808. In other words as you are trimming a sample does it show you in BPM. That is one of the key features I am looking for.

So far all the videos i have seen, people are loading already processed loops. I want to be able to record drum beats and anything else I can turn into a loop

I do what your talking about all the time in Beatmaker. It's a real sampler with all the editing options of a pro sampler.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I do what your talking about all the time in Beatmaker. It's a real sampler with all the editing options of a pro sampler.
can you do other time sigs .. like 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 ?? iMaschine cannot and i miss that ..

thank you john

ALSO: what about midi export ???
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
can you do other time sigs .. like 3/4, 6/8, 12/8 ?? iMaschine cannot and i miss that ..

thank you john

No sure, but I think they're working on the time sig options.
Old 26th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Uummm I hope so, I would love to see a video of someone doing just what I describe. The only video I seen of sample editing is with already looped loops.
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beatmaker 3 has a full sample editor
Old 29th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

thank you john

It has
3/4 4/4 5/4 6/4 7/4 and so on up to 19/4
MIDI Export is on the list to be implemented according to the developers.
They are good with updates.
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Yes I finally seen a video where BM3 snaps your edits to a BPM timeline which is basically close enough for what I am looking for. However I am falling in love with that Launchpad app, it is soo damn fun to use. I am thinking thats all I need. Only it doesn't edit samples. SO maybe both need to be on my ipad.

So new question , does BM2 snap to BPM timeline like BM3 does? Because I don't need BM3 as my daw , I just need the sample editor. And if BM2 edits samples just like BM3 , then I have no problems getting BM2(and its a $30 difference in price)
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No idea, don't have BM2, but its sampler is not as good as BM3.
If you want just a sample editor, just get Audioshare, Audioshare is the first app that anybody using IOS should buy, it is the only app that everybody needs.
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
No idea, don't have BM2, but its sampler is not as good as BM3.
If you want just a sample editor, just get Audioshare, Audioshare is the first app that anybody using IOS should buy, it is the only app that everybody needs.

Damn dude you are sooo right. Audio share is perfect. It edits loops to BPM, I didn't know it was a sampler too, I just thought it was some file sharing app. I am sooo getting this.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The two interfaces I am looking at are the Behringer iSTUDIO and the Zoom U-24
If you have the budget you might want to also check out the Apogee Duet or quartet. I use the Duet with a 12.7" iPad Pro and it sounds simply awesome.
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer View Post
If you have the budget you might want to also check out the Apogee Duet or quartet. I use the Duet with a 12.7" iPad Pro and it sounds simply awesome.
Thanx for the suggestion. Firewire? with iPad? And then those skinny little wires I would short those out in no time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanx for the suggestion. Firewire? with iPad? And then those skinny little wires I would short those out in no time.
No my Duet has an Apple lightning cable that goes directly from the iPad to the Duet, then I use the metal breakout box which has 4 XLR and 2 1/4" sockets, and the cable between it and the main box is thicker than my thickest Mogami studio cables. Both the breakout box and lightning cable are accessories as the Apogees are made to work with both iPads and Mac's. Its not meant for field use, its a studio box, so after re-reading your post (it was late last night when I wrote the first one ν ½νΈ΄), I see you want to use the iPad for field recording, so yeah scratch my idea (sorry bout that)
Old 18th December 2019
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I just wanted to add that I ended up getting the Behringer iStudio, it’s kool but honestly I have had other DAW problems for the past several months that it hasn’t,t gotten used.
πŸ“ Reply