The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dexed of iOS Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 1st August 2017
Lives for gear

Dexed of iOS

Is there a Dexed of the iOS world that is a 6-op FM machine that can then export sysex patches to a TX802? Thank you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I came here to ask the same question. It exists on Mac OS, so a port to iOS is conceivable, with the caveat of CPU differences (Intel vs ARM).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Try KQ Dixie
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Try KQ Dixie
Thanks for pointing out this app. I was unaware of its existence.

Not sure I want to spend money on it though. It’s yet another “minimalist” flat fad GUI of overly simplistic & repeated shapes, thin lines, text-as-controls, and 2 or 3 solid colors. It actually looks more like an Atari ST app than something made for a modern device with powerful CPU/GPU and millions of colors & pixels.

Sigh. I can’t wait for this dumb design fad to be over. I blame Apple for dragging iOS there in the first place.

Dexed might be small on even medium-high resolution displays (like my non-retina iMac), but at least its GUI is easy to look at and feels modern. Some actual graphic design skills are on display there.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Thanks for pointing out this app. I was unaware of its existence.

Not sure I want to spend money on it though. It’s yet another “minimalist” flat fad GUI of overly simplistic & repeated shapes, thin lines, text-as-controls, and 2 or 3 solid colors. It actually looks more like an Atari ST app than something made for a modern device with powerful CPU/GPU and millions of colors & pixels.

Sigh. I can’t wait for this dumb design fad to be over. I blame Apple for dragging iOS there in the first place.

Dexed might be small on even medium-high resolution displays (like my non-retina iMac), but at least its GUI is easy to look at and feels modern. Some actual graphic design skills are on display there.
Just to point out a few things, not getting in to the simplistic look (i dislike it myself too)

1 Simple Vector UIs add little in storage size to a plugin, important on IOS.
2 Vector UIs dont take up very much RAM, on IOS there is a RAM limitation per plugin (not instance, so two of the same fall under the same restriction) and the RAM limit is calculated post image decomrpression.
3 More advanced vector UIs are hit and miss in regards to CPU on IOS, look at the horrific mess that is Audio Damage.
4 Vector UIs scale across devices, you do realise that every single device needs its own UI right, Apple change screen size like i change my tee shirts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Just to point out a few things, not getting in to the simplistic look (i dislike it myself too)

1 Simple Vector UIs add little in storage size to a plugin, important on IOS.
Have you seen the Gmail app? It’s humungous and yet has seemingly no bitmaps. I’m not buying that the bloat in iOS apps is solved by lame GUIs.

Yeah, KQ Dixie is only 3.5 MB, and that’s impressive for iOS apps when comparing against the average bloated iOS app (and especially when comparing to cross-platform merde like Facebook’s and Google’s junk apps that waste storage by using their own damned API instead of using iOS APIs), but the successful apps of the past that have used lovely bitmap artwork were never a problem on any of my devices. The amazing design in Moog’s apps aren’t stopping them being used.

Quote:
3 More advanced vector UIs are hit and miss in regards to CPU on IOS, look at the horrific mess that is Audio Damage.
The only problems I’ve had with Audio Damage apps had nothing to do with the GUI. I informed them in my review that FuzzPlus3 breaks the GarageBand audio engine, and they’ve not updated the app/plugin since day one or replied to the review. Among other developer behaviors on forums...

Quote:
4 Vector UIs scale across devices, you do realise that every single device needs its own UI right, Apple change screen size like i change my tee shirts.
Sure. All of these points are entirely valid. The problem is that they are just excuses with little practical merit anymore. The limitations of the platform were more meaningful a decade ago... when lovely art was more common.

Basically, it’s the usual lazy developer problem. IMO, developers embraced vector GUI more because they think they no longer need artists or design skills (but will defend it via the supposed resource benefits). The do-it-yourself mentality is nice until you’re actually trying to get money from regular people.

Luckily for developers, many musicians aren’t regular people. Most electronic musicians are just as much nerdy tech geeks as developers, and they will happily defend bad visual design choices by citing technical benefits. ;-) In my case, I’m a “born again user” and this dren really gets up my nostrils.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cool story
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Phasemaker is a great 6-op fm synth, but I don’t think it’s sounds can be exported to other synths.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Talking

Quote:
Cool story
Your lack of faith disturbs me.

Any other memes to throw around while we’re here?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post
Your lack of faith disturbs me.

Any other memes to throw around while we’re here?
No, just pointless rants.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, just pointless rants.
I thought we were having a conversation. Guess not.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This thing is great. Just bought it for a 24 hour travel day yesterday, it kept me very occupied.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search