The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why are all of the cool music apps only on ios and not android?
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Why are all of the cool music apps only on ios and not android?

Everytime I hear about an interesting or useful looking music app, it is inevitably ios only. I'm talking about things like animoog, rebirth, korg gadget, etc... I don't understand this. Doesn't android have a larger tablet user base? Wouldn't companies benefit from having their apps on both platforms? With the windows vs mac thing, sure there are plenty of things that are mac only but most useful tools are either cross platform or more often than not windows only! And that makes sense because windows has by far the larger user base. Can someone explain why there is such a lack of high quality android music apps?
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

1. Android had an intrinsic issue with audio latency....supposedly much improved since marshmallow but yet to see many things porting over to take advantage of this. I haven't read up on it but maybe it's still not up to it.

2. Android devices are made by so many manufacturers with different configs and sometimes different os tweaks. Developing and testing for wide compatibility across all of them must be a bit of a nightmare.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
1. Android had an intrinsic issue with audio latency....supposedly much improved since marshmallow but yet to see many things porting over to take advantage of this. I haven't read up on it but maybe it's still not up to it.

2. Android devices are made by so many manufacturers with different configs and sometimes different os tweaks. Developing and testing for wide compatibility across all of them must be a bit of a nightmare.
1. That sucks!

2. The same could be said about windows though right?

I guess the reason I find this so annoying is that the experience of using an android tablet vs an iPad seems to be comparable in general. And the availability of apps in other areas, such as games, seems to be comparable as well (I could be wrong here as I don't play games; but there seems to be a ton of them in the play store). But when it comes to music apps, it is ridiculously one sided. I guess this could be down to your first point about latency. But to whatever degree that is true, it such a major handicap for android that I am surprised is not more widely known (maybe it is and I am just very ignorant in this area).
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

The above. I think Steinberg or someone recently famously pulled the plug on one of their Android compatible apps citing the same reasons...that it was costing them something like 5x as much money in labor to maintain the android version.

Not practical to control and test the user experience across all possible devices, plus my understanding is that it's tough to convince the average android user to...erm...pay for apps. Especially when a lot of the better audio apps range from $10-40. And understandably so when the google play store is filled with unregulated garbage and "freemium" ad supported apps, or totally bogus scam ware apps, users probably don't realize that some apps can be quite good and worth paying for.
As an example analogy in the gaming world, look at all the users that cried when the new MARIO game was a whole $10. Even though you could play through part of the game first to decide if you like it. Lots of people wishing it was free and or ad supported. Barf

I don't know what your usage is, but every android user I personally know has rooted their device(s) and consequently don't pay for anything.

So that is what developers are up against. It's not really an appealing environment to put your resources towards currently, if you want to make Pro apps not as supported or info stealing junk. I think if Google cleaned up their App Store that would help a lot.l, and didn't leave their OS so open. And if they didn't allow any dubious tech company to make as janky of a device as possible.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local Man View Post
But to whatever degree that is true, it such a major handicap for android that I am surprised is not more widely known (maybe it is and I am just very ignorant in this area).
No need to remain ignorant if you have internet access!

Android Audio Latency In-Depth: It's Getting Better, Especially With The Nexus 5X And 6P
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Thanks for link.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
The above. I think Steinberg or someone recently famously pulled the plug on one of their Android compatible apps citing the same reasons...that it was costing them something like 5x as much money in labor to maintain the android version.

Not practical to control and test the user experience across all possible devices, plus my understanding is that it's tough to convince the average android user to...erm...pay for apps. Especially when a lot of the better audio apps range from $10-40. And understandably so when the google play store is filled with unregulated garbage and "freemium" ad supported apps, or totally bogus scam ware apps, users probably don't realize that some apps can be quite good and worth paying for.
As an example analogy in the gaming world, look at all the users that cried when the new MARIO game was a whole $10. Even though you could play through part of the game first to decide if you like it. Lots of people wishing it was free and or ad supported. Barf

I don't know what your usage is, but every android user I personally know has rooted their device(s) and consequently don't pay for anything.

So that is what developers are up against. It's not really an appealing environment to put your resources towards currently, if you want to make Pro apps not as supported or info stealing junk. I think if Google cleaned up their App Store that would help a lot.l, and didn't leave their OS so open. And if they didn't allow any dubious tech company to make as janky of a device as possible.
No, I don't have my device rooted. I am very much a casual user and I see mobile apps and the mobile experience as kind of a toy (or at least as secondary tools). Something fun that can enhance but is not critical to the music making experience. That said, I definitely think something that is fun and interesting enough is worth the $10 to $40 (and up) these apps cost. But I guess if the barrier to entry is the cost of an iPad, then it is not worth it to me. (For the record, I have a Samsung galaxy tab, so not necessarily some disreputable piece of hardware).
For my actual music making tools, I do own a mac and am quite comfortable with the fact that I have to pay more for quality and stability.
I guess my problem is that I have always looked at the android vs iOS thing as similar to windows vs mac but I guess it is not. Clearly, iOS is in a league of its own in this respect and I will have to look at my android tablet as little more than a web browser and document reader. If I decide that incorporating mobile apps into my workflow is important enough I guess I will have to invest in an iPad.
And, for what it's worth, I am in no way trying to say that any of this is unfair to android users, I am just trying to understand why it is this way (which I am now starting to better understand).
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I don't have my device rooted. I am very much a casual user and I see mobile apps and the mobile experience as kind of a toy (or at least as secondary tools). Something fun that can enhance but is not critical to the music making experience. That said, I definitely think something that is fun and interesting enough is worth the $10 to $40 (and up) these apps cost. But I guess if the barrier to entry is the cost of an iPad, then it is not worth it to me. (For the record, I have a Samsung galaxy tab, so not necessarily some disreputable piece of hardware).
For my actual music making tools, I do own a mac and am quite comfortable with the fact that I have to pay more for quality and stability.
I guess my problem is that I have always looked at the android vs iOS thing as similar to windows vs mac but I guess it is not. Clearly, iOS is in a league of its own in this respect and I will have to look at my android tablet as little more than a web browser and document reader. If I decide that incorporating mobile apps into my workflow is important enough I guess I will have to invest in an iPad.
And, for what it's worth, I am in no way trying to say that any of this is unfair to android users, I am just trying to understand why it is this way (which I am now starting to better understand).

There are definitely some (free, or a dollar) music apps that can be seen as toy level, but I would have no problems putting some of the better apps (Gadget/most other Korg stuff, Model 15, Animoog, Nave, Samplr etc) against a plugin or even some hardware...I think if you really wanted to there's nothing stopping you from doing full productions. And some of it is fun just to noodle with on the couch or at work on break or whatever.

I never liked garage band on the computer, but free on iPad is pretty cool and a lot of power especially for someone just starting out.

I'm definitely not trying to convey an Apple or Android war, I don't really care either way what people use, I've tried both and I know what I like better.
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
There are definitely some (free, or a dollar) music apps that can be seen as toy level, but I would have no problems putting some of the better apps (Gadget/most other Korg stuff, Model 15, Animoog, Nave, Samplr etc) against a plugin or even some hardware...I think if you really wanted to there's nothing stopping you from doing full productions. And some of it is fun just to noodle with on the couch or at work on break or whatever.

I never liked garage band on the computer, but free on iPad is pretty cool and a lot of power especially for someone just starting out.

I'm definitely not trying to convey an Apple or Android war, I don't really care either way what people use, I've tried both and I know what I like better.
I agree. I guess I use the word toy only because I think of these things as non-essential (even though they can be as effective as any tool if used properly). And the fun factor makes them kind of feel like a "plaything" (although i guess you can make that argument for just about any musical tool). I had the animoog on iphone and it could've been an amazing creative tool if only I could've got midi over Bluetooth working in my setup.
Old 14th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everytime I hear about an interesting or useful looking music app, it is inevitably ios only. I'm talking about things like animoog, rebirth, korg gadget, etc... I don't understand this. Doesn't android have a larger tablet user base? Wouldn't companies benefit from having their apps on both platforms? With the windows vs mac thing, sure there are plenty of things that are mac only but most useful tools are either cross platform or more often than not windows only! And that makes sense because windows has by far the larger user base. Can someone explain why there is such a lack of high quality android music apps?
I asked the same thing about 3 years ago when I had a Galaxy Note 2. The music apps I downloaded had ridiculous latency and were unusable. iOS has Core Audio and Core MIDI built in to the OS so it has been there all along, not added as an afterthought. That's why I'm back to iOS now. If you want to make music on your phone or tablet go iOS for sure.
Old 15th June 2017
Lives for gear

Another thing hard for developers, android users are spread across various versions. There is quite low % of users on the latest version. Something like 25% vs 80% for iOS. So even if the latest version starts to improve some things, not enough users have upgraded.
Old 17th June 2017
Here for the gear

Let me give the developer's perspective (I have developed apps for both platforms). Audio has been baked into ios. The Core Audio framework is incredible, giving the developer easy ways to create low latency audio workflows. Core Audio also provides a plugin framework allowing you to implement external instrument interfaces that can be used with any DAW that follows the plugin spec.

Android has nothing like this. The latency issues have been mostly resolved, however there is no standad framework like Core Audio. I have had to contact DAW devs directly to ask them to let me write drvers specifically for them.
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear
I just find out about Caustic. It is very cool! The first useful android app for music that I have come across.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

You need to try G-Stomper studio then, one of the best apps even compared to IOS stuff, on sale for the next few days i think too.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
You need to try G-Stomper studio then, one of the best apps even compared to IOS stuff, on sale for the next few days i think too.
Cool, I recently heard about that too but I haven't checked it out yet. Thanks for the tip on the sale.
Old 1st July 2017
Why? Because nobody should want to use anything as unstable as an LG tablet with Android on it for MUSIC PRODUCTION.
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

That's good that you found Caustic. It's pretty great and as an iOS user it makes me kind of jealous that you guys get extra stuff (mastering) and updates come quicker. But it's good for those that are on android to have a nice daw with a good community. I have to say though, buying a decent used iPad is much cheaper if you want to look at getting one. Some of the more recent minis are likely pretty cheap. I have found that Amazon is a good place to buy used apple things from. A friend found a practically brand new iPad Air 2 64GB for a very reasonable price. Around $350 maybe?) So there's something to consider since buying new is very expensive if you aren't sure you'd like it. Best of luck to you in your mobile production endeavors
Old 8th July 2017
Here for the gear

Since you can get the new 2017 iPad for as low as $330 at this point, I really don't see the price being an issue anymore.
Old 9th July 2017
Here for the gear

Old 5th September 2017
I was in your shoes, I researched apps for Android and then compared to what iOS had it was a no brainer. I had to have an iPad. I hunted and researched more and scored not one but two good deals on Ebay for Ipads. I love 'em, sure I could have gotten twice the capacity on an android for the same price but sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet.

As for apps, well I bought two and kinda regret buying FieldScaper and Samplr both are unique in their own way but neither allow sample editing. However the free apps Launchpad and Groovebox by Novation are keepers and very very fun to play with.

My suggestion for a good cheap iPad is to go with a Air 2, its fast and at least 32 gig(I was going for 32 gig but scored a 64 gig for $230)
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

Air 2 with BM3 is the one.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Nut

Don't know about the 'cool' apps, but Android has a great one; Audio Evolution. Studio grade music production is possible using it, on mobile phone, if one is producing music using only real instruments and vocals.
Old 8th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Of Light View Post
Don't know about the 'cool' apps, but Android has a great one; Audio Evolution. Studio grade music production is possible using it, on mobile phone, if one is producing music using only real instruments and vocals.
Killer app. I have the pro version on my Android.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Killer app. I have the pro version on my Android.
I have always had iOS devices but am curious how much gigabyte Evolution uses on Android - the linked description mentions 5gb on mac/PC. That is quite a beast for a phone.
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

I bought an ipad with all these apps available and low latency, using garageband mainly but had a go at stagelight, cubasis, gadget, bm3 and fl studio mobile(this being my favourite despite all the hate for it on ios forums). I mainly wanted to use it as a replacement for my windows laptop.
But having tried these i still prefer my android phone, for quickness of building ideas and songs, then transfer them to my laptop to mix and edit them better. I used audio evolution mobile, which is similar to cubase and has groups, insert effects and uses soundfonts.
The latency is terrible on my phone but i adjust the start position of the sample after recording.
But then i discovered ufxloops and it suited my approach, bit similar to live loops in garageband, or koala or blocs wave on ios. Its so quick to get a song, with its basic drum machine and general midi sounds. I mainly record guitar, vocals and a few keyboards with drum machine backing. Either looping a 4 bar guitar or bass and singing over the top. How many ideas do you have when your out and about that get lost.
So im split between ios,android and windows but ios was not the full answer for me and woukd probably look for an android device with much better latency as my next purchase.
Old 28th August 2019
It's 2019, has anything improved on the Android front?
Old 29th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi folks, might be re iterating here but if you are on android then Caustic or now days I think there is g stomper studio ( https://www.planet-h.com/g-stomper-studio/ )
But if you are really into music then consider to move Android/iOS wars aside and get iPad as there is literally similar ecosystem as on pc/Mac which is always and still getting bigger!!! Names like eventide,steinberg,moog,fab filter, audio damage and many many more are there. Reason is simple google don’t give a monkey about pro music as they did promise latency patch but that was 6 or 7 years ago so there you go android is ok but for music it simply sucks!
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cray23 View Post
google don’t give a monkey about pro music
It's probably a market that is too small for them. On a side note iA writer mentioned on their blog that they now offer the Android version of their writing app for free due to of lack of sales on that particular platform. Their paid iOS version is quite successful so Android users seem to be a less inclined to pay for apps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo C View Post
It's 2019, has anything improved on the Android front?
No
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Theres an issue with sample rate conversion in Android too. Not an Android user myself but looks like high end lossless portable players that uses Android usually comes with Mango or other os alternatives due to that bug. Checked iBassos latest products. So seems like the SRC bug is alive in current Android versions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search