The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why are all of the cool music apps only on ios and not android?
Old 29th September 2019
Here for the gear

Such a sad story to look at the latency numbers for iOS versus Android: https://superpowered.com/latency

Are there any apps that use the Superpowered SDK that people have low latency experience with? Any of the amp/cab modelers?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Android still blows lmao. Every time I think about trying android or Windows again I’m reminded why I switched in the first place.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

People are talking a lot about audio latency, but another big drawback is that Android didn't have any built-in MIDI capabilities until Android 6 (and some Android 6 era hardware still didn't support it). I suspect that by the time Android got built-in MIDI capabilities, many developers had already decided not to support it.

I believe Android still doesn't support multi-route audio and has very limited support for multi-channel audio. So iOS apps can send one stereo signal out the headphone jack and another out the Lightning port, or send separate signals to many channels on a multi-channel USB audio interface, but Android can't.

Beyond the realm of audio apps, Android offers developers fewer components for several kinds of functionality, including tables (only iOS has built-in functionality to add, remove and reorder table rows), documents (only iOS has built-in functionality to view PDF, Word, etc. documents) and printing (Android didn't have built-in printing capabilities until Android 4.4). So developers often have to do more work to offer the same features on Android vs. iOS.

As an analogy, imagine trying to build a house when you have all the materials you need available: shingles, doors, windows, plumbing fixtures, wiring, etc. Now imagine trying to build a house but there are no shingles or doors and you have to create those items from scratch.

Speaking as a developer, iOS has its issues too, and Apple can be maddening to work with. But my general impression is that Apple focuses its efforts on users and leaves some rough edges for developers, while Android is a more fragmented and less complete platform overall.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search