The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
iPad 12" or 9" Screen?
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

iPad 12" or 9" Screen?

Long time devoted iOS lover here. I've been considering an iPad upgrade and am curious how people feel about the bigger Pad and the split screen mode. A drum machine app and a synth app would be a lot of fun.

The larger Pro iPad has been out for a year and a half and I am mostly wondering where software is at with it and if its simply too big.
Old 18th April 2017
Gear Maniac

i love the larger size, it's just so much nicer working than with the smaller ones. I don't find a lot of apps that actually make use of the larger area. But even with the ones that don't the images scale up and having larger controls to work with is nice.

I really never use split screen as there is not that much that works with it. it doesn't work like a general purpose windowed UI.

The bottom line is the larger size is nice in general but apps that take full advantage are still in short supply. You will likely be disappointed with split screen functionality.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

The 12" iPad looks great when I've used it. Don't get me wrong. Side by side apps look cool, but not really necessary for my use. And I haven't seen any must have apps that really take advantage of the size. Because the regular size is so much more common it's likely that developers won't put much thought into the 12" one unless it gains traction.

But in practical use, I find it unwieldy in my hands, and the convenient size of a tablet in terms of travel is compromised. Doesn't fit in every back pack pocket anymore, if that matters to you. It's really a two handed tablet, which doesn't really make sense for me.

Of course the big iPad is basically the size of a small MacBook at that point.

I personally think that they got it right the first time around, 9.7". So I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, with a Logitech keyboard, and the Apple Pencil, and it all folds together in one very thin, light, and compact package... Battery life is incredible. I would almost never compliment the built in speakers of a device, but these are really great for bed side jamming or Netflix.

Of course, there's an Apple Store/etc almost everywhere, why not try one out for yourself before buying?
Old 19th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Long time devoted iOS lover here. I've been considering an iPad upgrade and am curious how people feel about the bigger Pad and the split screen mode. A drum machine app and a synth app would be a lot of fun.

The larger Pro iPad has been out for a year and a half and I am mostly wondering where software is at with it and if its simply too big.
I think that the more the better. If there is anything to wear, then why not? I have ipad mini and ipad pro, I can say that the ipad mini is convenient only for trips without luggage, so you can put it in your pocket.
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Addict

I love my 12" iPad Pro and use the split screen all the time when writing lyrics with Pages & Rhyme Genie. The split screen is actually quite flexible if the software supports it:

Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
I love my 12" iPad Pro and use the split screen all the time when writing lyrics with Pages & Rhyme Genie. The split screen is actually quite flexible if the software supports it:

that's awesome, thanks for the post. I have a 9.7 pro. I love it, it's fast.
Old 15th June 2017
Gear Maniac
I have both the original 12.9 iPad pro and the new 2017 12.9 iPad pro and all the top DAWs. For me, the 12.9 is almost perfect as a mobile production tool for when inspiration strikes.

Korg Gadget + iPad Pro 12.9 is the kind of thing I used to fantasize about in the 80's.... it's really, really good together.
Old 16th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimconcept View Post
I have both the original 12.9 iPad pro and the new 2017 12.9 iPad pro and all the top DAWs. For me, the 12.9 is almost perfect as a mobile production tool for when inspiration strikes.

Korg Gadget + iPad Pro 12.9 is the kind of thing I used to fantasize about in the 80's.... it's really, really good together.
Thank you for the input.

Do you useand controllers? Or just Gadget?
Old 19th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Thank you for the input.

Do you useand controllers? Or just Gadget?
I've tried it with full size midi keyboards and the bluetooth nanokey, both work well. However, the beauty of the iPad with Gadget is mobility and being able to work anywhere at any time advantage of a tablet. So, I prefer to use solely the ipad.

Get Final Touch too... Nice mastering app.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search