The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sharing iOS GarageBand projects for collaboration
Old 23rd January 2017
Gear Head

Sharing iOS GarageBand projects for collaboration

Is there any way I can start a song in iOS GarageBand then send an all encompassing project file to a friend so he can open the song and edit it? The only way we can collaborate at the moment is to email the automatic render of the track in .m4a format. This is fairly useless for collaboration.

If not possible in GB for iOS, can it be done in GB for OSX?

Maybe you need Logic to do this?
Old 23rd January 2017
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Head

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Not as straightforward as I thought it would be.
Old 24th January 2017
Gear Maniac
It is indeed a pain in the ass, and that's the one thing where they're missing the boat; iPads with GB could be a really great collaborative platform for songwriting.
Old 25th January 2017
Gear Head

If I have it correct, both parties need an iPad and an iMac (or laptop running OSX) and use iTunes and iPad/iMac synching. It's a convoluted process but can be done apparently
Old 25th January 2017
Here for the gear

You can have a mac or a PC, but you need iTunes. In GB, go to the "My Songs" section, select the project you want and hold it so it starts "wiggling", then use the share option and select iTunes, then choose the Project format. Once it's done, connect your iPad to your Mac/PC with the USB cable, and launch iTunes. Select your iPad under the Devices section, and navigate to the Apps tab. Scroll down and you’ll see all the apps with file sharing capability. Scroll through that list until you see the GB app icon. Click on it, and you’ll see a list of the songs from GB that you prepared via the method above. Click the song you want to import, and click Save to… Save the file somewhere you can find it, like your Desktop. Now you can send it to whomever, and they can import it to their iPad, or just open it on their Mac if that's where they're working on it.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

I really hated Apple today. They describe it on their support pages as if it would work - with iCloud, with Dropbox, via the Messenger, via Email. But it simply doesn't work due to the fileformat I guess that hides folders etc...

Why can't they simply say that it doesn't work instead of letting you try it 10 times 10 different ways and wasting your and others time...
I feel better now...
Old 14th October 2019
Here for the gear
I'm sitting in a hotel room trying to figure this out ... it seems to me that it's not possible at all! It's easy enough to share the projects between devices but then I'm not able to open them at all.

Any updates from previous posters here?
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey, are you trying to share it with someone who also either has the iOS app, or the OSX app? If so, it's pretty easy.

On the "My Songs" screen, simply long-press on the song you'd like to share, and then select "Share" from the dropdown, menu. Then, there will be three options. You want to select "Project". Then it will ask you to select to whom you'd like to send it!

(The project can be opened in Logic, but will also open in either the iOS, or OSX, versions of Garageband)

-TKB
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKosherButcher View Post
Hey, are you trying to share it with someone who also either has the iOS app, or the OSX app? If so, it's pretty easy.

On the "My Songs" screen, simply long-press on the song you'd like to share, and then select "Share" from the dropdown, menu. Then, there will be three options. You want to select "Project". Then it will ask you to select to whom you'd like to send it!

(The project can be opened in Logic, but will also open in either the iOS, or OSX, versions of Garageband)

-TKB
I tried exactly this a few month ago (see my post). It looks as if it works, but whether you send a link in dropbox or a link in the mail or a sms message, the one you did send it too can't open it. You always get the message that something is wrong with the file. Don't know anybody who succesfully shared a garageband ios file.
Old 12th May 2020
Here for the gear

Can't Open GB for Mac Project in GB for iOS

Is this still not possible? What one really wants is the ability for two people to work on the same GB project--one in iOS, the other in Mac OS X. As far as I can see, GB for iOS can send the entire project to MacOS X and you can see and edit all the tracks there, but when you send it back to iOS as a Project, by Sharing with GB for iOS, it bounces everything to a single track. Useless. And if you put it in iCloud Drive, GB for iOS tells you it can't open it because it was "created" in GB for Mac (which it wasn't originally.) Same with Logic, BTW, works from iOS to Logic, but not the other way--everything gets bounced to a single track. If anyone has conquered this I'd love to hear how.
📝 Reply