The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moving away from iOS and Apple... which alternatives?
Old 8th January 2017
Here for the gear

Moving away from iOS and Apple... which alternatives?

Becoming ever frustrated with Apple products, my iPhone is dying, my MacBook is slow and weird for no reason... After years of loyalty, they don't seem to give a ****. What are my other options for decent mobile and computer interfaces and apps?

I have been an apple only use for 17 years so I am completely ignorant and have no idea where to start looking elsewhere.
Old 8th January 2017
Lives for gear

I hate apple, but W10 gave me lots of down time because of a graphics driver update loop.
All new hardware also!

I dumped all my apple products also for Galaxy tab, galaxy phone and W10.
W10 was by far the WORST to tame.

Its tame now but man all new hardware liquid cooing, silent, 24 gigs ram 4 card display and nothing but spinning dots for a week.
New PC + Windows 10 =
Old 10th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Brothers in pain.
I feel with you. I'm a Linux user for years (and also earn my money working in-depth with Linux), but still on Win7 for music purposes. Been thinking for some time which direction to move to. Win 10? No way. Looking at Apple products and the ever changing ecosystem around... umm... tends to be a "no way" as well.

Question: What tools are you using that you need on another platform? DAW and sound editing? Mastering? Software for making music / playing live / MIDI stuff,...? Tools for live mixing?

Or is this independent of music (tools)?
Old 10th January 2017
Lives for gear
I did the same...switched to a Sony Phone as it plays ALL music files including DSD so happy with that. Switched my Macbook Pro for a Surface Book, happy with that.

Now, I am about to sell my iMac 5K Retina and have purchased a HP Z840 workstation. Happy days as I can now do things like add a second CPU if I find one Xeon is not enough, add up to 1TB of RAM (if I win the lottery and can afford it!) put four Hard Drives inside the box as the power supply can handle it etc etc etc...
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Galaxy s7 phone is amazing - added 200 gigs of storage via sd card and you can use it as a VR device with oculus. I came from an iphone and ditched ios because i was sick of not being able to just dowload my mixes onto my phone to listen to them. You can even drag and drop files on the phone like a thumb drive.

When i replace my Ipad i'll be getting an Android as well - it's just better - the added flexibility really makes all the difference.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Switch to the Samsung Note 7 cuz I hear its da bomb! Your beats will be on fire!!!

It's pretty easy to get music onto your device through iTunes. But yeah it _should_ be as easy to drag and drop audio files like you can with photos.

You can probably use some app to pull down stuff directly from Dropbox.

If your macbook is slow, maybe its time for a clean reinstall? Something that I've done regularly with windows. Or upgrade to an SSD if its an old machine capable of upgrades. That would give you a huge speed boost.

If Korg Gadget for Mac brings all the new Korg apps/plugs over to AU/VST I might have to move my music making over from Windows to Mac.
Old 15th January 2017
Here for the gear
Better the devil you know. So you think the grass is greener on the other side? Korg's Gadget is coming to the Mac and not to windows or android. Guess why? I have an iPad Pro, iPhone 7 plus and a 2010 Mac Pro. They are purring. Clean up your system rather than just jump because you think Apple is dying.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronographic View Post
my MacBook is slow and weird for no reason...
Wrong, if your MacBook is slow, there's always a reason.
Basic troubleshooting steps to isolate and resolve issues are here and here.

If you want further help, try to be a little more specific - let us know which apps are slow, what exactly is 'weird', how long this has been going on, what was the last change before it started,..

If you consider switching to Windows, first try it on the Mac via Bootcamp - no need to buy a PC to see how the experience differs.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieJay View Post
Korg's Gadget is coming to the Mac and not to windows or android. Guess why?
Because they are a lazy company that thinks having support for more products is too much work?

The REAL answer is exclusivity rights. The fine print of the deal between Korg and Apple is not available to either of us.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post
Because they are a lazy company that thinks having support for more products is too much work?

No, the REAL answer is exclusivity rights. The fine print of the deal between KORG and Apple is not available to either of us.
Why would there need to be some kind of deal? Pretty much anyone can publish on iOS/Mac.

Korg did release Kaossilator for Android. They are probably careful about stepping into the Android pool (or septic tank), because of the piracy, performance, etc. If it does well for them, then they could possibly start bringing over the other apps.

Hope to see Gadget on Windows desktop one day too.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
Why would there need to be some kind of deal? Pretty much anyone can publish on iOS/Mac.

Korg did release Kaossilator for Android. They are probably careful about stepping into the Android pool (or septic tank), because of the piracy, performance, etc. If it does well for them, then they could possibly start bringing over the other apps.

Hope to see Gadget on Windows desktop one day too.
Exactly this. And tbh, how many $30-40 apps do android users actually buy? Most of Korg's music apps are a bit pricier than an average smart phone/tablet app.

I know the internet pooped its pants about a MARIO game being a whole $10...surprisingly less complaints about it being a timed iOS exclusive, as much as how greedy Nintendo apparently is...for giving you 3 free levels and unlimited rally play before suggesting you pay $10 one time to unlock the rest of the game...one look in the google play store and you'd think the android market seems to prefer "free" apps that constantly peg you for micro transactions and ads.

I fully see why Korg doesn't bother with the android market, for the above mentioned reasons. I doubt it has less to do with exclusivity agreements, and everything to do with Android being a highly unregulated platform. And even if Korg was under some form of agreement, if there was such a market on Android surely some other developer would be building great music apps for android..

IMHO
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Korg failing to code whatever that product is for both android and ios doesn't have anything to do with exclusivity, piracy concerns or android users not paying for apps.

They probably just chose to develop for ios first, which is common, since ipads have a large market share with musicians. Frankly, I don't think anyone would debate that ipads are more popular with electronic musicians at present, so if they are going to focus development costs it'll start there.

Most apps appear on ios first, especially specialized music apps.

If you want to use a tablet for music production ( which I consider a form of self-punishment) then the ipad is still the best option, for now at least.

Last edited by Reverb; 16th January 2017 at 01:30 PM..
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Piracy is actually a pretty big factor why many apps get released on iOS first then Android, if ever. I belong to a few game developers forums and I often read discussions about quite a few that have pretty much given up on releasing for Android, and those that do, often choose to release on iOS first until they can make their money back (as much as possible), then release for Android. Many of them report a profit ratio of 3 to 5:1 sometimes for iOS vs Android for their apps, despite the massive market share of the latter.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Having ditched ios last year for android, along with the $1000 worth of apps I probably purchased on ios over the last 5 or so years, all I can say is that apps on phones are novelties that wear off very quickly and the fact that ios has more apps or more paid apps or whatever doesn't matter, 99% of what is on there is useless and you will delete it to make room for the ridiculously low amount of storage you have on your iphone. How many of you on iphone are consistently deleting photos or apps and managing storage? It was a constant pain for me with my iphone 4s.

My Galaxy S7 phone has VR - that alone makes it an infinitely more amazing product that the iphone. Would you rather have Mario Run or or be immersed in a VR movie which will blow your mind? For those of you who haven't tried it yet, you are missing out on the future of everything, daws included.

Even with that, the main benefit of Android for music producers is that you can actually save an mp3 file that you created on your phone without being treated like a pirate and listen to your own mixes without a convoluted work around - that itself makes it a better phone and is worth making the switch for, at least is was in my case.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronographic View Post
my iPhone is dying....

I have been an apple only use for 17 years so I am completely ignorant and have no idea where to start looking elsewhere.
If you're willing to try Android OS, then you may check flagship phones from HTC, LG, Samsung. You can find almost all the necessary apps on Google Play store, including a pro grade video editor called Kine Master, and a desktop grade DAW called Audio Evolution. Many of these phones are smart enough that you can connect USB flash drives to them to transfer files to and from.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

If you're making music with your phone you might find a harder time with Android. As I wrote in another thread, ultimately you have to blame Google for the relative dearth of quality music apps on Android.

Android has to cope with a huge potential combination of hardware components, so fragmentation is a huge issue - different processors, graphics, graphics resolutions, and different OS versions. Without setting standards there are a zillion handsets with different configs, which are very expensive and time-consuming to develop for.

According to Apple's official figures, 76% of all iOS devices are running iOS 10, which came out exactly 4 months ago. Now compare that to Android:

5.1 Lollipop 23.3%
6.0 Marshmallow 29.6%
7.0 Nougat 0.5%
7.1 Nougat 0.2%

Marshmallow came out 15 months ago, and less than a third of handsets upgraded to it. Many phone makers are slow to letting phones upgrade the OS, and some just don't permit it at all. With so much OS fragmentation, developer costs are significantly higher in order to support multiple OS versions (and multiple types of hardware).

There’s also the issue of piracy. Yes, you can jailbreak iOS but it’s only really hardcore techies that bother. Pirating Android apps on the other hand is much easier, and that scares off some developers from spending time and effort creating and supporting app that are so easily stolen.

There’s also been a historic lack of support for pro audio technology and handling audio latency from Google, which is hardly an incentive for anyone else to get involved. Apple built CoreAudio and CoreMIDI into iOS years ago, and in iOS 9 they introduced a plugin SDK. It was only in the fall of '15 that Android released a new MIDI API for Marshmallow ... and that still means it's only potentially available to around 30% of Android devices out there. So iOS is not only technically ahead but it's a larger music market for developers....

If you're just looking for a phone to be a phone then there are a lot of choices with varying features. Depends on what you want and what your budget is....
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search