The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is iMaschine 2 able to be mapped/controlled via MIDI control surface? Mobile Apps
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Is iMaschine 2 able to be mapped/controlled via MIDI control surface?

HI All,

I've spent some time looking around to try a and find an obvious and clear answer to this question;

I've been setting up mobile iPad tools to sketch out ideas on the move; I've picked up full versions of Cubasis 2, Audiobus, and a few instruments Korg Gadget and iMaschine 2, among others. The latter (iMaschine2) is what I am seeking to control via an Arturia Minilab mk2 (or any class complaint iOS compatible usb control surface - though it seems there is no dedicated thread or answer?!

Hope I'm missing something obvious (Stoopid!). But, if anyone has had success, please enlighten me!
THanks
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

PS - shuold probably point out my goal, is to have a drum station, capable of sample editing, (reverse, slices, pick amend create kits etc), to control filters and effects using hardware vpots - effects and effect selection not a key component, as plug ins available, but all is to be on iOS platform, for ideas sketching whilst on holidays/out and about away from main studio...

Thanks all in advance
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think a direct USB connection will work it "say" get a lighting to USB adaptor.

You could get an interface with midi on it to trigger sounds from iMaschine. Also Ableton Live Link will synchronize iMaschine to your project over wifi.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Just get the Elastic Drums app, it is the equivalent of Maschine desktop, not that poor excuse iMaschine
It can be mapped entirely
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Cheers Bungle - yeh, I picked up iMaschine 2 on a whim (as, after all iPad apps are same price as a pint of ale!), but it does seem pretty limited - couldnt' see a MIDI learn or MIDI map seriously anywhere on the app, and the "HELP" docs don't mention it - which meant either a) it isn't there as an option, or b) I had missed something ridiculously simple ( as in of a "turning on the iPad" level, which also isn't in the help files, if you catch my drift...!); I searched Google/multiple forum threads but found no answers. Looks like you found the same limitations??!

I'll give Elastic drums a look, and have put a note down to look at iSpark, Patterning (good feedback on this forum), and Sample Tank, which I got free with iRig Pro - is directly MIDI mappable using the Arturia Minilab mk 2 but couldn't see the piano roll/key editor or similar step sequencing screen for sequencing, and once an app makes something hard to find, I tend to lose patience - after all, they're apps supposed to be immediate and responsive, right? If I want to spend three hours reading and annotating a manual, I get out the Cubase tome!!

(NOTE to classictunz - thanks for the reply also mate, I got a lightning to usb camera connection kit with spare charger connector (to keep all running indefinitely via socket) and it all works sweet with the arturia Minilab mk 2. Just need the apps to come to the party -
Old 5th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quick note following up re: classictunz' advice, here is a list for anyone wanting to know which control surfaces/keyboards work with iOS devices via CCK or otherwise:

https://seosocially.com/ipad-apple-c...d-controllers/

Hopefully this helps others venturing into this area of mobile music making - I can say that using an iPad Air 32GB, the Arturia Minilab mk 2 is running sweet without issues so far; Simple plug in and start playing set up;

Just a shame the original REBIRTH app (Propellerheads) isn't MIDI mappable/controllable...
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Dazzler View Post
Che
(NOTE to classictunz - thanks for the reply also mate, I got a lightning to usb camera connection kit with spare charger connector (to keep all running indefinitely via socket) and it all works sweet with the arturia Minilab mk 2. Just need the apps to come to the party -
Hey man does the MiniLab MKll control iMaschine?
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Just get the Elastic Drums app, it is the equivalent of Maschine desktop, not that poor excuse iMaschine
It can be mapped entirely
Yea iMaschine is good, but they dropped the ball in a few areas. Where's pad mode for iMaschine? Looks like you have to load an empty keyboard or pad layout then load single shots there?

With BeatHawk I just hit the pitch button on any selected pad and get a chromatic scale of that sound. If there's no way to enter pad mode for any given pad, that's a really clipppling exclusion.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Dazzler View Post
Quick note following up re: classictunz' advice, here is a list for anyone wanting to know which control surfaces/keyboards work with iOS devices via CCK or otherwise:

https://seosocially.com/ipad-apple-c...d-controllers/

Hopefully this helps others venturing into this area of mobile music making - I can say that using an iPad Air 32GB, the Arturia Minilab mk 2 is running sweet without issues so far; Simple plug in and start playing set up;

Just a shame the original REBIRTH app (Propellerheads) isn't MIDI mappable/controllable...
That list isn't complete for what its worth
If you want a fully mappable 808/909/303 just go look at Brambos AU plugins for iOS
Ruismaker
Ruismaker FM
Phasemaker
Troubklemaker
They are amazing
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search