The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Zoom U-44 Interface
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

New Zoom U-44 Interface

There is a new Interface from Zoom, the U-44:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/prod...udio-interface

It's like made for iPad: small, can use batteries or a dc, has Midi, works as a standalone converter, has digital ins and outs and it has two additional inputs (3+4) that use either the spdif ins or the same mics and modules that are available for the Zoom handy recorders.
I was looking for a small interface to use with my ipad or sometimes with an iphone, but everything I found was too big or heavy or doesn't have midi etc.
Bought it immediately yesterday. Anyone else, who is using it?
Old 23rd February 2017
Here for the gear

Me!
It's incredible that this interface has so few reviews around the web and magazines.
I think it's a very underrated piece of gear.
Same pristine preamps of the H6 and compatible with everything, also with the ipad.
I guess that is one of the few digital I/O devices for iOS available today.
Always in my backpack with the laptop.
Old 21st April 2017
Here for the gear

ahoy,

i also find the new U-44 a nice combo of features, portability and price, though i am wondering since it is USB class compliant (no drivers needed on macOS) if it will work with Android devices as well, though it is not advertised as such yet. my searches thus far have not turned up anything, nor my message to Zoom (they are going to look into it). i would guess that simply connecting to an Android 5+ device via a On-The-Go OTG connector would allow it to function as a USB audio interface. so do you have any experience or info on this?

thanks, w
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurattin View Post
I guess that is one of the few digital I/O devices for iOS available today.
Does the digital input really work on iPad? A review on sweetwater is saying it does not.
Old 24th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Of Light View Post
Does the digital input really work on iPad? A review on sweetwater is saying it does not.
It has S/PDIF optical and coaxial ins and outs that can be used as channels 3 and 4.
This has nothing to do with connections to the iPad.
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
It has S/PDIF optical and coaxial ins and outs that can be used as channels 3 and 4.
On iPad as well? That's what I was asking the other poster as I can see a review on Sweetwater stating that s/pdif in does not work on iPad
Old 25th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Of Light View Post
On iPad as well? That's what I was asking the other poster as I can see a review on Sweetwater stating that s/pdif in does not work on iPad
Only guessing: in order to use a 4 inputs audio-interface on the iPad you need a software that can use them / allows to route the inputs to tracks.
I use Auria.

Some software only uses track1 and track2 (stereo) and doesn't offer the option to route the inputs. For example if you have an interface with 4 inputs and you want to use the inputs 3+4 to record to your iPad, but use for example the camera-app, it will only allow you to record input 1 and 2.
I think in Garageband you can only record 2 tracks at a time, but you can route, so you could tell Garageband to use input 3 and 4 of the audio-interface (but I'm not sure, 'cause I only had a quick look at Garageband on the iPad).
The functionality of the digital-ins and outs of the Zoom have nothing to do with the iPad. It even works standalone as a D/A A/D Converter.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search