The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So is there really a good IOS interface for iPad Pro?
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

So is there really a good IOS interface for iPad Pro?

I'm having a difficult time finding, and selecting, a suitable iPad interface for my new iPad pro 12.9". My primary usage for this set-up is to use Loopy HD...and I need it to be stable for live performance.

I purchased an iConnectivity Audio 2+. Its a nice interface IN THEORY...but in practice I've never had a more difficult, unstable, and unreliable interface! When it works...its brilliant....WHEN it works. It consistently needs to be reset, rebooted, and reconfigured. The configuration software won't connect to it more often than not. It has digital clocking issues regularly...and Loopy audio suddenly distorts out of nowhere during long sessions, intermittently, which is only resolved by unplugging and replugging the lightening cable from the iPad. Etc, etc, etc. I've even exchanged for a new unit to see if I had a lemon....but same result.

So what the iConnectivity experience HAS shown me is how nice it is to have a single lightening cable connection for audio I/O plus midi going to iPad. That is CLEAN and SLEEK! But, alas, unreliable with that interface. And believe me I've spent countless hours searching, reading, posting, testing, etc, to get that interface to work reliably. If its not one thing...its another with it. Shame.

So now I'm looking for an alternative interface. When I scan Sweetwater and Amazon for IOS interfaces....there seems slim pickins for something on the market that is sleek and reliable for the iPad Pro 12.9".

I'm aware of Studiomux, and Music I/O apps...and that may be ok...but I've read about latency issues....and further don't want to always be tethered to a computer.

So my IOS interface "requirements" are:

1. Lightening cable interface.
2. Midi DIN I/O.
3. at least stereo audio I/O on quarter inch jacks.
4. Must charge iPad while plugged in.
5. STABLE and great audio!

Which means....I prefer NOT to use the CCK (direct lightening connection is preferred). BUT...that's not a deal killer.

And remember I have an iPad Pro full size 12.9". So several "dock" style interfaces on the market won't work with that form factor.

I'm not finding that such a product really exists. There are some options...but no midi. Or....USB connection thru CCK only. Or...won't charge iPad while plugged in. Or....lackluster audio convertors. Or....won't fit iPad Pro 12.9" form-factor.

Price is not really important, within reason.

Any ideas?

Its sort of shocking that a full featured audio/midi interface is so lacking for the big iPad Pro. iConnectivity seems the only real product of note.....but alas....no workey for me.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or help.

Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

There are many excellent quality pro Audio interfaces that will work great. None of them have Lightning connectors. Just grab the CCK and one of the folowing.
Apogee Duet, Apogee One, Sound Devices USB Pre, many more

Lower End, Mackie Onyx, many more

None of these have MIDI though so maybe there is a hole in the market.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Fire View Post
There are many excellent quality pro Audio interfaces that will work great. None of them have Lightning connectors. Just grab the CCK and one of the folowing.
Apogee Duet, Apogee One, Sound Devices USB Pre, many more

Lower End, Mackie Onyx, many more

None of these have MIDI though so maybe there is a hole in the market.
Ya...no midi on any of those mentioned. For a Loopy setup where midi-sync is important....that's an issue. And, several of those won't charge the iPad while the interface is plugged in. That's another problem. But thanks for those suggestions!
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Nut

You can now get a Camera connection kit with power passthrough that will let you charge the iPad while having a USB interface plugged in. I grabbed one to use with a Steinberg UR44 and it works really well.
Old 4th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a Griffin Studio Connect with Lightning that works well. MIDI DIN, 1/4 inch stereo in, RCA stereo out (just get RCA to 1/4 cables), charges while in use. Very basic, no configuration or setup. i have tried it with iPad 4, iPad Pro and iPhone 6s Plus.
Old 6th June 2016
Here for the gear

Disclaimer: I do writing for iConnectivity as one of my activities.

All I can say is that I've had an iConnectAUDIO2+ sitting in my studio connected literally for months and not had to restart it once. I also have several other of their interfaces connected 24/7.

Now, I have an iPad Air 2 and an original iPad (along with a couple of Macs and some embarrassingly old PCs) in my studio, so my setup isn't the same. But saying it's the most unstable piece of gear etc. etc. etc. is simply not the way it is!

If you post on the iConnectivity forum I'd be happy to help if I can, and I'll make sure you get tech support help if I can't.
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

SPL Crimson works well with my two iPads and has midi. Use it mainly with Auria and a lot with the camera and never had a problem during the last two years. Needs CCK...
Old 6th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbatz View Post

But saying it's the most unstable piece of gear etc. etc. etc. is simply not the way it is!

If you post on the iConnectivity forum I'd be happy to help if I can, and I'll make sure you get tech support help if I can't.
To be clear....lets quote my exact words: "I've never had a more difficult, unstable, and unreliable interface". I didn't say its "the most unstable piece of gear..."

But, I do have extensive experience with interfaces, computers, and gear. My setup is exhaustive, and I'm using modern Macs and iPads. I'm a credible and competent audio professional, not just a hobbyist. Truthfully, I WANT the iConnectivity gear to work BADLY....because (as this thread demonstrates) there really isn't an obvious alternative which meets my needs.

Not only have I exchanged the ICA2+ for a second unit. But then I exchanged it for an ICA4+....only to get the same bottom line result. I really don't think there IS a fix for the current problem I'm having. I've been through 3 ICA units. 4 brand new cables. Every setting and configuration possible. Tried multiple iPads. And cross-referenced with another interface with does NOT demonstrate this distortion issue. Before posting, I've been very thorough. I've invested countless hours and days trying to make this work.

I do appreciate your help and guidance on the ICA forums, Nick. And I have filed a support ticket with IC...no response yet...but that's ok.

But as a point of fact...it is what it is....I've never had a more difficult, unstable, and unreliable interface than the ICA+ series. Its just unreliable on my high end system, no matter what I try. I can go into more details about OS/firmware versions, and setup I'm using...but I'll save that for support when they respond. If I ultimately find out that the issue is resolvable...or even that its my own oversight...I'll be sure to post back to this thread and fess-up out of fairness. But as of today....I can't in good conscience say that the ICA series is reliable.
Old 18th August 2016
Gear Addict
Would the ua apollo USB work with the iPad pro for tracking with the ckk adapter. I know the plugs and processing wouldn't work. But I like the work flow portability of ipads lot easier for one guy to track with. I record a bit in garage band then import to logic. So if it worked it would also give me acess to uad plugs when I take it to a bigger system. Kill a couple of birds.
Old 3rd September 2016
Lives for gear

There is a new one from Zoom that is very small, has a tablet mode (works with usb-power plug or batteries but you still need a camera-connection kit), works in standalone mode as a Converter and has midi. The U-44. Just bought it 2 days before. There is a smaller version without spdif and the connector for zoom mics and additional xlr-connections.
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/prod...udio-interface
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Nut

Ron, have you found a solution yet? I'm looking for something similar, with similar requirements (would like to sidestep the CCK also, even though I have it), and considered the iConnectivity Audio 2+, but your extensive experience with the interface makes me wary. Just curious what you eventually went with.
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
I'm having a difficult time finding, and selecting, a suitable iPad interface for my new iPad pro 12.9".
I'm in the same boat. Looking for an interface I can use standalone if need be, but also something to give the iPad a much-needed volume boost in the studio. Even at top volume, it's still substantially quieter outputting through the headphone jack than all my other sound modules (which is my primary usage, stacking sounds and effects in AUM)...

Also would prefer the 'elegance' of just a single lightning connection, but that leaves few choices, especially if you need MIDI i/o as well (which I do!).

Looked at the iConnectivity stuff first, but based on my prior experience with their iConnectMIDI4 interface, I find their gear needlessly complicated (mine also seemed to require many initializations, unpluggings and restarts, similar to RonF's experience).

Otherwise, I've been comparing the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, which has a "device" port (thus one cable), to the Roland DuoCapture EX and the Steinberg UR22mkII (both of which would require the CCK). Meanwhile, I am also still awaiting further information on and reviews for the Korg PlugKEY, announced at NAMM. Unfortunately, it's an audio output-only device, with just a single MIDI DIN input -- thus, it may work well for my sound module needs, but is useless if I want to sample something to the iPad or send MIDI data out from it.

That Zoom one that DirkP mentioned shows some promise, so I may have to look into that one further as well... but ultimately, everything that's on the market currently forces the end user into accepting some kind of compromise.
Old 15th September 2016
PES
Lives for gear

Tascam

The current Tascam interfaces have MIDI DIN ports, including an interface that can be connected directly to Lightning (iXR). AFAIK the latter still needs to be powered by its own cable though, so I guess with the new powered CCK it doesn't matter which interface one chooses - you still need just one power connection that both charges the iThing and powers the interface.
Old 16th September 2016
Here for the gear

I was talking on my Facebook page about various hardware synths I was interested in, and a friend suggested I get an iPad Pro plus some Korg Gadgets instead. This all seemed fine and dandy, until I started wondering how I connect the iPad Pro to my hardware mixer for live performance. He said get this:

TASCAM iXR 2-ch Recording Interface
2-channel Lighting/USB Interface with XLR Combo Jacks, MIDI I/O, and +48V Phantom Power

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iXR
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

I'm also looking for an iOS/Mac audio/MIDI interface. I recently read about the Zoom U-24 and the Roland Duo-Capture EX. Anybody has experience with either of these?

Thank in advance,
++a
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca View Post
I'm also looking for an iOS/Mac audio/MIDI interface. I recently read about the Zoom U-24 and the Roland Duo-Capture EX. Anybody has experience with either of these?

Thank in advance,
++a
I use a SPL Crimson without problems since years and 5 month ago I bought a Zoom U-44 for mobile use. Very similar to the U-24, but with more options. No complaints so far. A lot of options considering the price and the sound quality is very good. It's plastic, but like most Zoom gear you get a lot for your money.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Nut

The motu AVB is very nice. You do have to buy the lightning adapter / charger of course. It acts as a standalone mixer so you don't have to have the ipad turned on to use it as a mixer. Also you can do like 48 stereo tracks or something on the ipad mixed with your analog.

I have found it rock solid unless I try and use aum as multi tracks inside the ipad. I believe that is a software issue, not hardware.

It isn't inexpensive is the only drawback.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
There is a new one from Zoom that is very small, has a tablet mode (works with usb-power plug or batteries but you still need a camera-connection kit), works in standalone mode as a Converter and has midi. The U-44. Just bought it 2 days before. There is a smaller version without spdif and the connector for zoom mics and additional xlr-connections.
https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/prod...udio-interface
Bought one of these and it rules. Great interface.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbatz View Post

All I can say is that I've had an iConnectAUDIO2+ sitting in my studio connected literally for months and not had to restart it once. I also have several other of their interfaces connected 24/7.

Now, I have an iPad Air 2 and an original iPad (along with a couple of Macs and some embarrassingly old PCs) in my studio, so my setup isn't the same. But saying it's the most unstable piece of gear etc. etc. etc. is simply not the way it is!

Gotta be said, it is quite rare to find anybody not associated with iconnectivity to give these a good report though, they are known as great when they work, but don't work that often, this was everything i was getting from the ios community when i was looking for a new interface.
Current reports are that they do not work at all with latest IOS either.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post
The motu AVB is very nice. You do have to buy the lightning adapter / charger of course. It acts as a standalone mixer so you don't have to have the ipad turned on to use it as a mixer. Also you can do like 48 stereo tracks or something on the ipad mixed with your analog.

I have found it rock solid unless I try and use aum as multi tracks inside the ipad. I believe that is a software issue, not hardware.

It isn't inexpensive is the only drawback.
I've already got a motu 1248, and recently got a iPad Pro. So I guess you just hook the two up with a USB to lightning adapter? I'm guessing there's no way to route it further to the computer after that?

Not really clear how its meant to work together.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut

i think only the avb series can do class compliant (ipad) and I use mine in standalone mode, no laptop. I do know that you can port the audio from an ipad to computer using studiomux. I have never had my AVB connected to both the computer and ipad at the same time, not sure it works?
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey777 View Post
i think only the avb series can do class compliant (ipad) and I use mine in standalone mode, no laptop. I do know that you can port the audio from an ipad to computer using studiomux. I have never had my AVB connected to both the computer and ipad at the same time, not sure it works?
The 1248 is part of the AVB series. Was just curious if it could work as a way to get the iPad audio into the computer somehow. I'm aware of studiomux, but haven't tried it. Thanks
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut

You can plug the ipad directly into the computer with no audio interface and stream stereo, just do a search on "Create Aggregate Device" if you have a mac.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
To be clear....lets quote my exact words: "I've never had a more difficult, unstable, and unreliable interface". I didn't say its "the most unstable piece of gear..."

But, I do have extensive experience with interfaces, computers, and gear. My setup is exhaustive, and I'm using modern Macs and iPads. I'm a credible and competent audio professional, not just a hobbyist. Truthfully, I WANT the iConnectivity gear to work BADLY....because (as this thread demonstrates) there really isn't an obvious alternative which meets my needs.

Not only have I exchanged the ICA2+ for a second unit. But then I exchanged it for an ICA4+....only to get the same bottom line result. I really don't think there IS a fix for the current problem I'm having. I've been through 3 ICA units. 4 brand new cables. Every setting and configuration possible. Tried multiple iPads. And cross-referenced with another interface with does NOT demonstrate this distortion issue. Before posting, I've been very thorough. I've invested countless hours and days trying to make this work.

I do appreciate your help and guidance on the ICA forums, Nick. And I have filed a support ticket with IC...no response yet...but that's ok.

But as a point of fact...it is what it is....I've never had a more difficult, unstable, and unreliable interface than the ICA+ series. Its just unreliable on my high end system, no matter what I try. I can go into more details about OS/firmware versions, and setup I'm using...but I'll save that for support when they respond. If I ultimately find out that the issue is resolvable...or even that its my own oversight...I'll be sure to post back to this thread and fess-up out of fairness. But as of today....I can't in good conscience say that the ICA series is reliable.
I had a weird distortion issue with the ICA4+ at the start too, but it has resolved since and hasn't come back. When the main output levels (to the far right of the iConfig mixer, desktop version) are really low, a weird distortion crosstalk thing can happen. When I've got the levels set correctly, it all works perfectly, and the crosstalk/distortion disappears. By default when the ICA4+ first powers on with default settings, the output levels are ultra-quiet, and that's when the weirdness happens.

I hope this is helpful - I was really unhappy when this happened to me, and I'm glad it's sorted now. It's an incredibly powerful piece of kit and there's nothing else like it.

FYI, I'm a customer, no affiliation with the company
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by handed View Post
I had a weird distortion issue with the ICA4+ at the start too, but it has resolved since and hasn't come back. When the main output levels (to the far right of the iConfig mixer, desktop version) are really low, a weird distortion crosstalk thing can happen. When I've got the levels set correctly, it all works perfectly, and the crosstalk/distortion disappears. By default when the ICA4+ first powers on with default settings, the output levels are ultra-quiet, and that's when the weirdness happens.

I hope this is helpful - I was really unhappy when this happened to me, and I'm glad it's sorted now. It's an incredibly powerful piece of kit and there's nothing else like it.

FYI, I'm a customer, no affiliation with the company
PS I had another distortion problem with Spotify - make sure all your music playing apps have their EQ completely flat or you'll get clipping and you won't know where it's coming from - that one took me a while to figure out
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

Very interested in this, ideally with a usb host port for connecting and powering a keyboard in addition to the ipad. Anyone know if the Tascam will do that?
Old 20th February 2017
Gear Nut

Get the USB3 lightning adapter, a powered USB hub and a solid class compliant USB audio interface.

Been using a Soundcraft 12MTK lately with the iPad, works like a charm

Just bought an Audient iD22 for a good price 2nd hand, should ship sometime this week, will let you know how it performs with CoreAudio and Auria Pro especially.

fwiw My Traktor Audio 6 has worked ok so far as well, but man that conversion sounds tinny as LOL! NI doesn't seem to be on top of designing good analog electronics around converter chips or something...
Old 22nd February 2017
Gear Nut

Ok, just got the iD22. Bad news, the iD22 needs to be "initialized" with a computer upon every power cycle before it works with iOS. So doesn't work with iOS without running thru hoops.

Currently investigating if I can get a PC-on-a-stick for using it to "initialize" the iD22 for iOS use. I anit gonna lug around a full computer for it, would negate the whole point of portable iOS recording! The converters and the headphone amp on the iD22 sound hella good though, so not giving up on it just yet.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I would like to see something with a couple of additional USB sockets to allow additional keyboards or pads to be connected.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKology View Post
I would like to see something with a couple of additional USB sockets to allow additional keyboards or pads to be connected.
I’ve been using the ICA4+ without problems. It’s easy to plug a USB hub into it to extend the number of USB midi devices (up to 10).
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search