The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So is there really a good IOS interface for iPad Pro?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

RME Babyface is probably the best pro interface to pair with an iPad.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
RME Babyface is probably the best pro interface to pair with an iPad.
Really good audio interface for sure but it really depends how much I/O is needed and obviously what types of I/O
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I think the BabyFace has all the I/O one can need. There is a dedicated iOS interface. The 'only' issue is the price. I personally don't own one, I'm pretty happy with my Audient ID14 but I have to say that this model is not fully compatible with iOS according to Audient. And it's a mix of hardware/software specs. Their iD4 on other hand is specifically designed for iOS, but doesn't have MIDI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the BabyFace has all the I/O one can need.
Everyone's needs vary. I can run 24 ins and 24 outs of audio to and from my iPad or DAW and I'd like to add maybe 8 more. Why? Every one of these I/O's are accounted for with synths and outboard recording gear. The RME BFP does 12 audio in with ADAT and technically 10 audio out, they include the stereo headphone out as two analog outputs in that 12 out mentioned. I can tell you that would not work for my setup.

Here's some other scenarios. Let's say you were to record say a four piece band tracking live? 12 analog inputs would barely get the job done. Or say you have a bunch of synths that you don't want to constantly unplug? 12 inputs would net you room for 6 synths with stereo outputs. Then where would the outboard gear aka microphones, DI instruments, etc plugged into?

If you take the ADAT lightpipe out of the equation and think of it as a 4 in x 2 out with headphones audio interface plus MIDI I/O it has some really nice features for that market range albeit a more expensive solution by comparison to others... but you have that 8 I/O's of ADAT as backup just in case...

Therein lay the problem if you're going to pay extra for that option I'd probably spend a little more for rack gear. You'd already be bringing out either some 1U/2U 8 channel rack unit or an ADAT equipped mixing console to get that meager extra 8 channels with the RME BFP when you could just bring out a 16+ I/O setup and have all your needs covered without compromise.

Also have you worked with ADAT lightpipe before? It's fiber-optic cabling as in purchasing good quality = delicate and not incredibly manageable. Handy if you have some stationary devices you need to connect together. Better with things racked or ran off a stationary table like from a mixer to a racked audio interface or from rack unit to rack unit.
In the RME BFP's defense it would be very handy in a pinch to have a little unit and be able to set it up right besides an ADAT equipped mixer or rack units like I've mentioned for say a live recording but not something that I would want to setup permanently in a home or project studio. I'm convinced that was the original intention of the engineers over at RME to have that ADAT on tap for the unit. Just by it's design I wouldn't think it bring much joy setup permanently like that.

If you take the ADAT out of the equation and are looking for a small portable device for iOS? I'd say something like the Zoom U-44 or U-24 offers great bang for the buck. The Zoom stuff is right up there in sound quality and is right up there with extremely low latency. The added perk would be the ability to use rechargeable batteries for field recording. I'd probably opt for the U-24 not needing the capsule options or digital I/O's. From what I've read U-24 gets substantially better battery life as a result.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

If you intend to run more than 24 tracks from your iPad, I may suggest you that the problem is not the audio interface but probably the iPad itself and you should first invest in a full featured OS
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you intend to run more than 24 tracks from your iPad, I may suggest you that the problem is not the audio interface but probably the iPad itself and you should first invest in a full featured OS
This is Gearslutz, of course I have one of those too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

You scared me for a moment, but yeah, this is GS
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
This is Gearslutz, of course I have one of those too!
I am super curious about hi i/o count ipad experiences. I love my ipad for composition but for mix down would be great if i can run it thru static outboard. the render to wav and then xfer to o/s is a workflow killer.

have you recorded 24 inputs onto your ipad at once? what was perf like?

How about 24 outs?

what interface do you use?

apologies if you mentioned this earlier in the thread.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you intend to type nonsense about something you obviously know nothing about, I may suggest that you have a flair for the histrionic, and you should invest in something to keep your hands busy so that you dont type so much tosh !!!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Bungle please shut your mouth about me and don’t quote to insult. This is totally free post and won’t help anyone here. I still think the RME is the best interface for iPad and I still doubt the iPad is the ideal gear to record 24 + tracks. Using a laptop is way more powerful and iOS is still limited compared to a full featured OS. But show me your science, Mr Einstein !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search