The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Very Small, well treated Drum Room - OH Mic Search/Opinions
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Very Small, well treated Drum Room - OH Mic Search/Opinions

Hello Gearslutz Community,

I´m Christian, Drummer from Germany.
You Guys already helped me a lot with different things, me always being the "silent" watcher.

I hope you can help me figure things out /give me some Opinions on Sound and Mic Suggestions.

The Goal is to record Drum Tracks for some Clients in near Future (Pop/Rock/Singer/Songwriter/Library Music etc.) and i want to bring the best Sound out of my (pretty Cheap) Gear. The Studio i´m playing in is very small but very well acousticly treated with Bass Traps and Vicoustic Elements.

DAW: Logic
Interface: Saffire Pro 40
Mics i already have: D112, Aston Origin (Kick In/Out)
Audix i5, AKG C 451b (Snare Top/Bottom)
Beyerdynamic TG 35d, Audix D4 (Rack/Floortoms)
Rode M5 MP (Overheads)

I´ll attache some Soundfiles from the Rode M5, played with two different Kits.
also 2 Pictures for you guys to see, how my OH Miking looks like right now.
Can i get a more Ballanced, more Natural Sound with other OH Mics? LDC or Ribbons? Or you Think Those M5s can hold up in a Room like This?
Maybe its smarter to go with the Glyn Johns Method in a Room that small?

Budget: i would say 1000 - 1500 € for 2 Mics

Any help is highly appreciated

best regards, Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Very Small, well treated Drum Room - OH Mic Search/Opinions-kabine-1.jpg   Very Small, well treated Drum Room - OH Mic Search/Opinions-kabine-2.jpg   Very Small, well treated Drum Room - OH Mic Search/Opinions-kabine-3.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Christian,
First, I am not an acoustics expert that you need to take seriously. In fact, I’m not an acoustics expert at all. So with that disclaimer, here are my opinions.
It appears to me that your absorption/diffusion ratio is way off. I think you need more absorption, especially some very thick bass trapping. For example, I think I hear the bottom of the snare “booming” the room below 400hz.
Diffusion is not usually effective in small mix rooms. Maybe it serves a purpose in a drum room, but I would try to balance it with at least a few serious bass traps.
I dislike the i5 as a snare mic. I bought one to replace an SM57 in that spot. Remember when the i5 was the new kid in snare town? Hardly anyone can stand that kid today. The i5 sounds wrong to me in some way I can’t define. I sold mine after finally giving up on it. Come home to the 57.
I think your overhead placement is too wide. The exaggerated stereo drum picture doesn’t seem natural, especially with the mics you have.
If you want a more natural SDC, try the Warm 84s, and don’t EQ the top. They are within your budget. I have also liked a pair of Cascade Fathead Ribbons as an overhead pair, closer together than your pair. Again, even though the ribbons are not bright, the cymbals sound best when I don’t boost the top end, but just bring them up to a natural level in the mix.
I haven’t had very good results with LDCs as overheads, so someone else would have to give you the secret formula on that... I obviously don’t have that formula.
I really like the look of your room and enjoyed listening to your playing, especially the second clip.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear